ABC NOW! - Griffin Powered Vehicle

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it.

    -

    Tags:

  2. Allen Greb

    Allen Greb Guest

    Yeah, but for $6G he can keep it.
    Looked ok, and liked the steering and suspension.
    Make it in China $599 RRP

  3. hippy wrote:

    > New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..
    >
    > --

    The novelty was; hydraulic suspension.

    I want to know;
    where do you attach the load carrying capacity?
    where do you attach the torch and battery?
    how easy is it to field maintain hydraulic suspension?

  4. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..

    Every time I see someone on a recumbent, have two (yes, I really do have
    actual thought processes, occasionally :p) thought processes :

    - first, I think to myself (and I'm sure y'all know the H G Wells quote
    I'm messin' up here), Yay! there goes the most efficient form of
    transport known to personkind, and I now have renewed hope in the
    sustainable future of personkind. Thank you, Mr/Ms recumbent rider, for
    renewing my hope in...

    (and then the second thought blips in)

    - Yikes! You're going to ride your 'cumb in traffic? It's dangerous
    enough for us on uprights, but...

    (and then I start silently Calling the Rosary to myself for recumbent
    riders, then gradually for cyclists in general, then for personkind in
    general... and so on.)

    Does anyone have personal experience of traffic riding on a 'cumb that,
    hopefully, they could make me feel better with?

    xxx

    ps: On all recumbants I've seen, you sit supine. Are there any where
    you are positioned prone?
    A prone position would make steering difficult, but I'm guessing that
    it would be bio-physically a better analogue of upright bipedalism than
    a supine position. Umm, what I mean is that it seems more logical to
    lean forward than to lean backward for more speed. (OK, so being
    face-down means you can't breathe right, but you get the idea.)

    pps: I sometimes passed a looooooong 'cumb triple (!) (ie, tandem plus 1
    more) hung up in front of a terrace house in Stanmore/Petersham (can't
    remember where, exactly), Sydney, when I lived thereabouts. Anyone know
    anything about this? It was an Al frame, with beaucoup touring-y rack
    mount thingies... how kewl would that be...

  5. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    Subject line should read "Recumb>E<nts, Generally (was Re: ...)
    Ooops.
    pmd

  6. T Smith

    T Smith Guest

    >Does anyone have personal experience of traffic riding on a 'cumb that,
    >hopefully, they could make me feel better with?

    Sure.
    I live in Tas now after moving from Qld but I've had no more a problem
    riding a recumbent in both States. A recumbent trike is probably
    better treated by the public, possibly because they think the rider is
    disabled and give you a wide berth. It may also be the unusual look of
    the machines that attracts the public eye. There are 2 issues I have.
    1. Young school kids driving with a car full of mates playing chicken
    with me. Happens about once every 2 years.
    2. Dogs. As we are nearer the height of these creatures I do feel
    vulnerable on the odd occasion when chased.

    At the risk of being flamed I have more trouble with the
    agression/abuse of riders of upright bikes. This is not the casual
    rider though.

    >ps: On all recumbants I've seen, you sit supine. Are there any where
    >you are positioned prone?

    There are homebuilt and some commercial units built like this. Look
    through the Source guide at http://www.ihpva.org/ and there should be
    links.

    BTW it's recumbent. BENT.

    Oh Re the New Inventors bike - some said was fairly (well they
    actually said impossible) hard to ride as the steering is opposite. EG
    Push right handlebar to turn left. Shouldn't be too hard to change if
    he wanted to.