ABC NOW! - Griffin Powered Vehicle

Originally posted by hippy
New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..

Watching - what's with the suspension? Look similiar to greenspeed/tri-sled/mr etc

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Watching - what's with the suspension? Look similiar to greenspeed/tri-sled/mr etc

Yeah, I don't get it. He kept saying they were the only bike with
hydraulic suspension and I'm thinking "what are all those mtb suspension forks/swingarmsusing then?!!?".

It just reminded me that I need to own a recumbent... :)

hippy

Originally posted by cfsmtb
Yeah, next project - a 'bent fixie. :)

I'm sure it wont be long before I crash mine.. then it could
be a BENT fixie :D

hippy

hippy wrote:

> New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..
>
> --
The novelty was; hydraulic suspension.

I want to know; where do you attach the load carrying
capacity? where do you attach the torch and battery? how
easy is it to field maintain hydraulic suspension?

hippy wrote:
> New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..

Every time I see someone on a recumbent, have two (yes, I
really do have actual thought processes, occasionally :p)
thought processes :

- first, I think to myself (and I'm sure y'all know the H G
Wells quote I'm messin' up here), Yay! there goes the
most efficient form of transport known to personkind, and
I now have renewed hope in the sustainable future of
personkind. Thank you, Mr/Ms recumbent rider, for
renewing my hope in...

(and then the second thought blips in)

- Yikes! You're going to ride your 'cumb in traffic? It's
dangerous enough for us on uprights, but...

(and then I start silently Calling the Rosary to myself for
recumbent riders, then gradually for cyclists in general,
then for personkind in general... and so on.)

Does anyone have personal experience of traffic riding on a
'cumb that, hopefully, they could make me feel better with?

ps: On all recumbants I've seen, you sit supine. Are there
any where you are positioned prone? A prone position
would make steering difficult, but I'm guessing that it
would be bio-physically a better analogue of upright
bipedalism than a supine position. Umm, what I mean is
that it seems more logical to lean forward than to lean
backward for more speed. (OK, so being face-down means
you can't breathe right, but you get the idea.)

pps: I sometimes passed a looooooong 'cumb triple (!) (ie,
tandem plus 1 more) hung up in front of a terrace house
in Stanmore/Petersham (can't remember where, exactly),
Sydney, when I lived thereabouts. Anyone know anything
about this? It was an Al frame, with beaucoup touring-y
rack mount thingies... how kewl would that be...

Subject line should read "Recumb>E<nts, Generally (was Re:
...) Ooops. pmd

>Does anyone have personal experience of traffic riding on a
>'cumb that, hopefully, they could make me feel better with?

Sure. I live in Tas now after moving from Qld but I've
had no more a problem riding a recumbent in both States.
A recumbent trike is probably better treated by the
public, possibly because they think the rider is disabled
and give you a wide berth. It may also be the unusual
look of the machines that attracts the public eye. There
are 2 issues I have.
1. Young school kids driving with a car full of mates
playing chicken with me. Happens about once every 2
years.
2. Dogs. As we are nearer the height of these creatures I do
feel vulnerable on the odd occasion when chased.

At the risk of being flamed I have more trouble with the
agression/abuse of riders of upright bikes. This is not the
casual rider though.

>ps: On all recumbants I've seen, you sit supine. Are there
> any where you are positioned prone?

There are homebuilt and some commercial units built like
this. Look through the Source guide at http://www.ihpva.org/
and there should be links.

BTW it's recumbent. BENT.

Oh Re the New Inventors bike - some said was fairly (well
they actually said impossible) hard to ride as the steering
is opposite. EG Push right handlebar to turn left. Shouldn't
be too hard to change if he wanted to.