ABC NOW! - Griffin Powered Vehicle

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jun 9, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Watching - what's with the suspension? Look similiar to greenspeed/tri-sled/mr etc

  3. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Yeah, I don't get it. He kept saying they were the only bike with
    hydraulic suspension and I'm thinking "what are all those mtb suspension forks/swingarmsusing then?!!?".

    It just reminded me that I need to own a recumbent... :)

    hippy

  4. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Yeah, next project - a 'bent fixie. :)

  5. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    I'm sure it wont be long before I crash mine.. then it could
    be a BENT fixie :D

    hippy

  6. Allen Greb

    Allen Greb Guest

    Yeah, but for $6G he can keep it. Looked ok, and liked the
    steering and suspension. Make it in China $599 RRP

  7. hippy wrote:

    > New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..
    >
    > --
    The novelty was; hydraulic suspension.

    I want to know; where do you attach the load carrying
    capacity? where do you attach the torch and battery? how
    easy is it to field maintain hydraulic suspension?

  8. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > New Inventors right now on ABC has a recumbent on it..

    Every time I see someone on a recumbent, have two (yes, I
    really do have actual thought processes, occasionally :p)
    thought processes :

    - first, I think to myself (and I'm sure y'all know the H G
    Wells quote I'm messin' up here), Yay! there goes the
    most efficient form of transport known to personkind, and
    I now have renewed hope in the sustainable future of
    personkind. Thank you, Mr/Ms recumbent rider, for
    renewing my hope in...

    (and then the second thought blips in)

    - Yikes! You're going to ride your 'cumb in traffic? It's
    dangerous enough for us on uprights, but...

    (and then I start silently Calling the Rosary to myself for
    recumbent riders, then gradually for cyclists in general,
    then for personkind in general... and so on.)

    Does anyone have personal experience of traffic riding on a
    'cumb that, hopefully, they could make me feel better with?

    ps: On all recumbants I've seen, you sit supine. Are there
    any where you are positioned prone? A prone position
    would make steering difficult, but I'm guessing that it
    would be bio-physically a better analogue of upright
    bipedalism than a supine position. Umm, what I mean is
    that it seems more logical to lean forward than to lean
    backward for more speed. (OK, so being face-down means
    you can't breathe right, but you get the idea.)

    pps: I sometimes passed a looooooong 'cumb triple (!) (ie,
    tandem plus 1 more) hung up in front of a terrace house
    in Stanmore/Petersham (can't remember where, exactly),
    Sydney, when I lived thereabouts. Anyone know anything
    about this? It was an Al frame, with beaucoup touring-y
    rack mount thingies... how kewl would that be...

  9. Fred Nieman

    Fred Nieman Guest

    Subject line should read "Recumb>E<nts, Generally (was Re:
    ...) Ooops. pmd

  10. T Smith

    T Smith Guest

    >Does anyone have personal experience of traffic riding on a
    >'cumb that, hopefully, they could make me feel better with?

    Sure. I live in Tas now after moving from Qld but I've
    had no more a problem riding a recumbent in both States.
    A recumbent trike is probably better treated by the
    public, possibly because they think the rider is disabled
    and give you a wide berth. It may also be the unusual
    look of the machines that attracts the public eye. There
    are 2 issues I have.
    1. Young school kids driving with a car full of mates
    playing chicken with me. Happens about once every 2
    years.
    2. Dogs. As we are nearer the height of these creatures I do
    feel vulnerable on the odd occasion when chased.

    At the risk of being flamed I have more trouble with the
    agression/abuse of riders of upright bikes. This is not the
    casual rider though.

    >ps: On all recumbants I've seen, you sit supine. Are there
    > any where you are positioned prone?

    There are homebuilt and some commercial units built like
    this. Look through the Source guide at http://www.ihpva.org/
    and there should be links.

    BTW it's recumbent. BENT.

    Oh Re the New Inventors bike - some said was fairly (well
    they actually said impossible) hard to ride as the steering
    is opposite. EG Push right handlebar to turn left. Shouldn't
    be too hard to change if he wanted to.