Abdominal bloating and water retention?

Jhaviland

Guest
I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.

I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a half,
I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in the 2
weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk, drinking 8-10
glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide. The idea was to
'blast' out my gut. This happened but didn't reduce the bloating although I'm more able to eat now
without reflux.

Previous to this I had trouble with GERD and taken Pepcid and Prilosec in the last month. I had also
changed my diet to eliminate caffine and other irritating foods. I don't have a fever, have no
history of liver disease, and am not taking other meds. My diastolic blood pressure was up for me
(110/80) but not greatly.

Any ideas? I've very uncomfortable and not able to function normally.

"jhaviland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
> would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.
>
> I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a half,
> I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in the 2
> weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk, drinking
> 8-10 glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide. The idea was
> to 'blast' out my gut. This happened but didn't reduce the bloating although I'm more able to eat
> now without reflux.
>
> Previous to this I had trouble with GERD and taken Pepcid and Prilosec in the last month. I had
> also changed my diet to eliminate caffine and other irritating foods. I don't have a fever, have
> no history of liver disease, and am not taking other meds. My diastolic blood pressure was up for
> me (110/80) but not greatly.
>
> Any ideas? I've very uncomfortable and not able to function normally.

When people with GERD complain of bloating, the usual cause by far is air swallowing. This is common
in such patients as a means of clearing the esophagus of refluxed stomach acid. The stomach becomes
distended with air. Some of that air is belched out, but a lot of it passes on into the intestinal
tract, which also becomes distended with air, causing the bloating you describe.

Fortunately, such bloating is not dangerous; just uncomfortable. Unfortunately, there is no good way
to treat it. You will see a lot of advertisements for surfactants (Gas-X) - but these just turn
small bubbles into large bubbles. The total volume of air is unchanged and you will still be
bloated. Enzymatic agents such as BeanO will only affect the methane gas that is produced by
digestion of some foods, won't affect swallowed air.

The only solution is to tell you to stop swallowing air. I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice
on how to do that...

HMc

jhaviland wrote:

> I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
> would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.
>
> I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a half,
> I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in the 2
> weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk, drinking
> 8-10 glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide.

Bloating: GERD, IBS, bowel, liver, pancreas, ovarian.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/metoclo_ad.htm Fluid retention is mentioned there. so is it
bloating or fluid retention? <rhetorical> I can't take the bowel medications, my lower pelvic area
bloats so bad I can't sit. That's all I have to contribute. (and I'm not a doctor)

"Howard McCollister" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "jhaviland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
> > would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.
> >
> > I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a
> > half, I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in
> > the 2 weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk,
> > drinking 8-10 glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide.
> > The idea was to 'blast' out my gut. This happened but didn't reduce the bloating although I'm
> > more able to eat now without reflux.
> >
> > Previous to this I had trouble with GERD and taken Pepcid and Prilosec in the last month. I had
> > also changed my diet to eliminate caffine and other irritating foods. I don't have a fever, have
> > no history of liver disease, and am not taking other meds. My diastolic blood pressure was up
> > for me (110/80) but not greatly.
> >
> > Any ideas? I've very uncomfortable and not able to function normally.
>
> When people with GERD complain of bloating, the usual cause by far is air swallowing. This is
> common in such patients as a means of clearing the esophagus of refluxed stomach acid. The stomach
> becomes distended with air. Some of that air is belched out, but a lot of it passes on into the
> intestinal tract, which also becomes distended with air, causing the bloating you describe.
>
> Fortunately, such bloating is not dangerous; just uncomfortable. Unfortunately, there is no good
> way to treat it. You will see a lot of advertisements for surfactants (Gas-X) - but these just
> turn small bubbles into large bubbles. The total volume of air is unchanged and you will still be
> bloated. Enzymatic agents such as BeanO will only affect the methane gas that is produced by
> digestion of some foods, won't affect swallowed air.
>
> The only solution is to tell you to stop swallowing air. I'm sorry that I can't give you any
> advice on how to do that...
>
> HMc

I doubt it is just gas, I'm gaining about a pound of weight a day. I looked at the symptoms of IBS,
giardiasis, and also ovarian cancer - scary stuff. I insisted on another appointment with my doctor
today after realizing I was having trouble urinating. I don't have a fever but as suspecting a
urinary tract problem.

Thanks for your answer, I will post when I have an answer.

Please... immediately, or sooner. Have yourself examined for the possibility of ovarian cancer.

Will (I only played a doctor on TV.)

news:<[email protected]>...

--

Sounds suspicious.

Have you had a internal exam lately? It's likely *not*, but it could be an ovarian carcinoma, with
bloating that fast and that dramatic. And that stuff moves very quickly.

http://www.ovarian.org/pages.asp?page=symptoms

Put it this way: If it were my own mother, I'd get that ruled out ASAP.

Emma

On 15 Jan 2004 12:18:30 -0800, [email protected] (jhaviland) wrote:

>"Howard McCollister" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> "jhaviland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
>> > would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.
>> >
>> > I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a
>> > half, I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in
>> > the 2 weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk,
>> > drinking 8-10 glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide.
>> > The idea was to 'blast' out my gut. This happened but didn't reduce the bloating although I'm
>> > more able to eat now without reflux.
>> >
>> > Previous to this I had trouble with GERD and taken Pepcid and Prilosec in the last month. I had
>> > also changed my diet to eliminate caffine and other irritating foods. I don't have a fever,
>> > have no history of liver disease, and am not taking other meds. My diastolic blood pressure was
>> > up for me (110/80) but not greatly.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? I've very uncomfortable and not able to function normally.
>>
>> When people with GERD complain of bloating, the usual cause by far is air swallowing. This is
>> common in such patients as a means of clearing the esophagus of refluxed stomach acid. The
>> stomach becomes distended with air. Some of that air is belched out, but a lot of it passes on
>> into the intestinal tract, which also becomes distended with air, causing the bloating you
>> describe.
>>
>> Fortunately, such bloating is not dangerous; just uncomfortable. Unfortunately, there is no good
>> way to treat it. You will see a lot of advertisements for surfactants (Gas-X) - but these just
>> turn small bubbles into large bubbles. The total volume of air is unchanged and you will still be
>> bloated. Enzymatic agents such as BeanO will only affect the methane gas that is produced by
>> digestion of some foods, won't affect swallowed air.
>>
>> The only solution is to tell you to stop swallowing air. I'm sorry that I can't give you any
>> advice on how to do that...
>>
>> HMc
>

>I doubt it is just gas, I'm gaining about a pound of weight a day. I looked at the symptoms of IBS,
>giardiasis, and also ovarian cancer - scary stuff. I insisted on another appointment with my doctor
>today after realizing I was having trouble urinating. I don't have a fever but as suspecting a
>urinary tract problem.
>
>Thanks for your answer, I will post when I have an answer.

You mentioned that you had changed your diet. How did you change it other than caffeine?

Ora

Again, please go NOW to have a VERY THOROUGH exam by a GOOD OBGYN (Oncologist pref.).

And be SURE to TELL him/her to be mindful of the POSSIBILITY of ovarian cancer.

You MUST do this NOW.

If you can not afford this, please let me know.

Will ([email protected]) 904-651-1961

news:<[email protected]>...

wrote:

>"Howard McCollister" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> "jhaviland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
>> > would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.
>> >
>> > I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a
>> > half, I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in
>> > the 2 weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk,
>> > drinking 8-10 glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide.
>> > The idea was to 'blast' out my gut. This happened but didn't reduce the bloating although I'm
>> > more able to eat now without reflux.
>> >
>> > Previous to this I had trouble with GERD and taken Pepcid and Prilosec in the last month. I had
>> > also changed my diet to eliminate caffine and other irritating foods. I don't have a fever,
>> > have no history of liver disease, and am not taking other meds. My diastolic blood pressure was
>> > up for me (110/80) but not greatly.
>> >
>> > Any ideas? I've very uncomfortable and not able to function normally.
>>
>> When people with GERD complain of bloating, the usual cause by far is air swallowing. This is
>> common in such patients as a means of clearing the esophagus of refluxed stomach acid. The
>> stomach becomes distended with air. Some of that air is belched out, but a lot of it passes on
>> into the intestinal tract, which also becomes distended with air, causing the bloating you
>> describe.
>>
>> Fortunately, such bloating is not dangerous; just uncomfortable. Unfortunately, there is no good
>> way to treat it. You will see a lot of advertisements for surfactants (Gas-X) - but these just
>> turn small bubbles into large bubbles. The total volume of air is unchanged and you will still be
>> bloated. Enzymatic agents such as BeanO will only affect the methane gas that is produced by
>> digestion of some foods, won't affect swallowed air.
>>
>> The only solution is to tell you to stop swallowing air. I'm sorry that I can't give you any
>> advice on how to do that...
>>
>> HMc
>

>I doubt it is just gas, I'm gaining about a pound of weight a day. I looked at the symptoms of IBS,
>giardiasis, and also ovarian cancer - scary stuff. I insisted on another appointment with my doctor
>today after realizing I was having trouble urinating. I don't have a fever but as suspecting a
>urinary tract problem.
>
>Thanks for your answer, I will post when I have an answer.

Your weight gain is almost incredibly fast for hypothyroidism, but I'd have my TSH levels
checked. I gained about a pound a week for about 8 months before my doctors figured out my
thyroid had quit working.

[email protected] (jhaviland) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've been to my doctor and she didn't have any firm ideas why I am bloating so significantly. I
> would like to have any ideas for the next time I see her.
>
> I am a 51 year old postmenopausal woman, in generally good health. Over the past week and a half,
> I've gained about 10 lbs of what seems to be fluid in my gut area. I had some bloating in the 2
> weeks previous but much less. My doctor prescribed laxatives, both stimulant and bulk, drinking
> 8-10 glasses of water, and PrevAcid and another GERD reducing agent metroclopramide. The idea was
> to 'blast' out my gut. This happened but didn't reduce the bloating although I'm more able to eat
> now without reflux.
>
> Previous to this I had trouble with GERD and taken Pepcid and Prilosec in the last month. I had
> also changed my diet to eliminate caffine and other irritating foods. I don't have a fever, have
> no history of liver disease, and am not taking other meds. My diastolic blood pressure was up for
> me (110/80) but not greatly.
>
> Any ideas? I've very uncomfortable and not able to function normally.

It was ovarian cancer which had spotted all over my stomach and a mass grew into my bowel, I think
colon. I had surgery to remove all visible masses and started chemo to get rid of any micro masses.
I will have 6 sessions of carbotaxol.

In retrospect, it appears that the original symptoms in August of GERD were the first sign and not
simple reflux at all. I certainly wish my doctor had done _some_ type of scan although my symptoms
were so likely GERD and my high caffine useage contributed that I can't blame her too much. I am
upset that no scan was ordered when I came back to her with the above symptoms until I was in agony
and really pushed. I think I will find a new primary care doctor.

I'm pleased with my surgeon and medical oncologist and both are very upbeat. I am in Seattle so I
have access to world-class care.

Thanks to all of you for the information and concern.

Julia