Abdominal muscles, upset stomach and cycling

Ken C. M.

Guest
A couple of question, I looked in google groups and didn't really see an
answer to these two questions.

First I took my hybrid out for a longer faster ride than I have in a
couple of months and found that after I had ridden about 6 miles or so I
had started to develop an upset stomach. I had eaten about an hour
before my ride. Nothing to heavy just a small to medium serving of pasta
with a tomato sauce. Did I ride too soon after eating? Or has riding the
recumbent more done something to cuase this? Perhaps my stomach is not
used to the riding position of the hybrid for longer / faster rides?

Second question: Abdominal work outs? What kind of routine do the pros'
do? I can't recall ever seeing a cyclist without a jersey on so I don't
really know are they "ripped"? How would strong abs help a cyclist?

Thanks
Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

Personally, I try and avoid hard work-outs for at least 2 hours after
eating (light work outs, like commuting are okay before that). Much
less than 2 hours and I develop and upset stomach. Maybe you're like
me (sorry to hear that).

As far as your second question, I cannot help - I have flabs not abs.

Jeff

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: A couple of question, I looked in google groups and didn't really
:: see an answer to these two questions.
::
:: First I took my hybrid out for a longer faster ride than I have in a
:: couple of months and found that after I had ridden about 6 miles or
:: so I had started to develop an upset stomach. I had eaten about an
:: hour before my ride. Nothing to heavy just a small to medium serving
:: of pasta with a tomato sauce. Did I ride too soon after eating?

Who knows. Perhaps you ate more than you need to eat before riding. Or,
perhaps it was something from the night before..

Or
:: has riding the recumbent more done something to cuase this? Perhaps
:: my stomach is not used to the riding position of the hybrid for
:: longer / faster rides?

Maybe.

::
:: Second question: Abdominal work outs? What kind of routine do the
:: pros' do? I can't recall ever seeing a cyclist without a jersey on
:: so I don't really know are they "ripped"?

How ripped one is and how strong the core muscles are to two separate
issues. Being ripped would mean low bodyfat, which is better for riding.
But that doesn't necessary mean anything in regards to core strength. I
think it's important to keep the two issues straight to make sure you can
target your efforts to achieve what you really want without undue effort.

:: How would strong abs help a cyclist?

Stong abs, low back, quads, and hams, yes. Ripped abs, not apart from the
obvious reduction in weight, assuming that you don't replace fat with too
much muscle.

Ken C. M. wrote:
> with a tomato sauce. Did I ride too soon after eating? Or has riding the
> recumbent more done something to cuase this? Perhaps my stomach is not
> used to the riding position of the hybrid for longer / faster rides?

I've experienced the same thing. I can do mellow rides after I eat,
but not hard rides. Sometimes I can go hard after an hour or so even
if I eat first.

> Second question: Abdominal work outs? What kind of routine do the pros'
> do? I can't recall ever seeing a cyclist without a jersey on so I don't
> really know are they "ripped"? How would strong abs help a cyclist?

I don't know what the pros do. I do crunches to strengthen my abs so
they'll support my lower back and I stretch to loosen my lumbar region
as well as my legs.

-JR

SlowRider wrote:

> I don't know what the pros do. I do crunches to strengthen my abs so
> they'll support my lower back and I stretch to loosen my lumbar region
> as well as my legs.

Funny that you mention stretching. I am considering a part time job as a
stretcher or would that be stretchee? Any way I desire to ride a "road"
bike again and think that my back issues can probably be worked out with
enough stretching and flexibility exercises.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> A couple of question, I looked in google groups and didn't really see an
> answer to these two questions.
>
> First I took my hybrid out for a longer faster ride than I have in a
> couple of months and found that after I had ridden about 6 miles or so I
> had started to develop an upset stomach. I had eaten about an hour
> before my ride. Nothing to heavy just a small to medium serving of pasta
> with a tomato sauce. Did I ride too soon after eating? Or has riding the
> recumbent more done something to cuase this? Perhaps my stomach is not
> used to the riding position of the hybrid for longer / faster rides?

If you are trying to get all aero and you are compressing a full stomach
then it makes sense that it would hurt. Riding upright I have never had
a problem and find that eating gives me good calories for about 4 hours.

> Second question: Abdominal work outs? What kind of routine do the pros'
> do? I can't recall ever seeing a cyclist without a jersey on so I don't
> really know are they "ripped"? How would strong abs help a cyclist?

I saw Lance during a weigh in and he did not look 'ripped', just skinny.
Think of a swim suit model and they are not ripped, just flat stomaches.
I can't think of anything that strong abs would help with for riding
except maybe, um, well, nothing. The only upper body muscles I have used
are maybe my back and arms for pulling up on the bars for a break the
pedals level stand and attack the hill type thing, and that might be
only a few times a year.
Bill Baka

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:15:49 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>I can't think of anything that strong abs would help with for riding
>except maybe, um, well, nothing. The only upper body muscles I have used
>are maybe my back and arms for pulling up on the bars for a break the
>pedals level stand and attack the hill type thing, and that might be
>only a few times a year.

There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your
philosophy, Mr. Baka. May I call you Chewy? ;-)

http://www.cptips.com/exabs.htm

CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS

THE TORSO - BACK AND ABDOMINAL MUSCLES

The trunk, which includes the back and abdominal muscles, is a weak
link for most cyclists. How many times have you heard of elite riders
having to pull out of competition because of back problems? Why?
Because they don’t have the torso support to resist the tremendous
forces which their powerful leg muscles can generate. Any force
directed into the pedals also goes up into the torso. If the trunk is
weak, that force DOESN'T go into the pedals but is dissipated in the
flexing of the torso. Look at tired riders. Every stroke generates an
"S" curve in the back, and it's this constant effect of the power of
the legs that causes fatigue, and eventually, overwork and spasm of
low back muscles. In fact, a rider will never get stronger by pushing
pedals as long as his torso absorbs the forces he creates, because he
is negating the resistance of the pedals. Most riders give away
significant pedal power because they do not possess adequate torso
strength.

Back muscles are not adequate in themselves to supply the needed torso
rigidity. Evolution has left us with musculature designed for
quadripedal animals, and the muscles which could support a hanging,
horizontal spine don’t stabilize a vertical one subjected to all the
impacts and forces that upright posture dictates.

However, we have abdominal musculature which can aid in torso support.
These are the muscles which contract the body to enable a running
animal to bring its legs forward. The quads straighten the leg. The
hamstrings bend it at the knee. The abdominal and groin muscles pull
the leg over the top of the pedal stroke. But they do something else,
too. They provide stiffness to the torso to support and reflect the
force of the legs, whether pushing away against the ground in running,
or pushing against the pedals in riding a bicycle. This is where we
get stability on the bike.

If your only strength work is on your abdominals, this alone will
vastly improve your riding. Strong abdominals are also the key to
preserving a healthy back, and are the foundation of strength for a
strong rider. Riding with undeveloped abdominals is something like
riding a bike with a cracked frame. All the energy gets dissipated in
flexion, and doesn't get you down the road.

Neil Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 23:15:49 GMT, Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I can't think of anything that strong abs would help with for riding
>>except maybe, um, well, nothing. The only upper body muscles I have used
>>are maybe my back and arms for pulling up on the bars for a break the
>>pedals level stand and attack the hill type thing, and that might be
>>only a few times a year.

> There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your
> philosophy, Mr. Baka. May I call you Chewy? ;-)
>
> http://www.cptips.com/exabs.htm
>
> CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS
>
> THE TORSO - BACK AND ABDOMINAL MUSCLES
>
> The trunk, which includes the back and abdominal muscles, is a weak
> link for most cyclists. How many times have you heard of elite riders
> having to pull out of competition because of back problems? Why?
> Because they don’t have the torso support to resist the tremendous
> forces which their powerful leg muscles can generate. Any force
> directed into the pedals also goes up into the torso. If the trunk is
> weak, that force DOESN'T go into the pedals but is dissipated in the
> flexing of the torso. Look at tired riders. Every stroke generates an
> "S" curve in the back, and it's this constant effect of the power of
> the legs that causes fatigue, and eventually, overwork and spasm of
> low back muscles. In fact, a rider will never get stronger by pushing
> pedals as long as his torso absorbs the forces he creates, because he
> is negating the resistance of the pedals. Most riders give away
> significant pedal power because they do not possess adequate torso
> strength.
>
> Back muscles are not adequate in themselves to supply the needed torso
> rigidity. Evolution has left us with musculature designed for
> quadripedal animals, and the muscles which could support a hanging,
> horizontal spine don’t stabilize a vertical one subjected to all the
> impacts and forces that upright posture dictates.
>
> However, we have abdominal musculature which can aid in torso support.
> These are the muscles which contract the body to enable a running
> animal to bring its legs forward. The quads straighten the leg. The
> hamstrings bend it at the knee. The abdominal and groin muscles pull
> the leg over the top of the pedal stroke. But they do something else,
> too. They provide stiffness to the torso to support and reflect the
> force of the legs, whether pushing away against the ground in running,
> or pushing against the pedals in riding a bicycle. This is where we
> get stability on the bike.
>
> If your only strength work is on your abdominals, this alone will
> vastly improve your riding. Strong abdominals are also the key to
> preserving a healthy back, and are the foundation of strength for a
> strong rider. Riding with undeveloped abdominals is something like
> riding a bike with a cracked frame. All the energy gets dissipated in
> flexion, and doesn't get you down the road.

Someone may buy into that, but it has never been a problem for me, since
a hard push down on the pedals causes a pull up on the bars, making the
back work a little. Only a really hard pull up on the backstroke would
cause any need for the abs to work and that would have to be a near
Herculean leg effort. I have a very strong back, probably due to
heredity, and have never encountered any trouble. I can easily do over
100 sit ups and can do toe touch movements with a 100 pound barbell with
no problem so how much muscle do you need?
The benefit I see to working out the upper body is general cardio
workouts beyond the limits of the legs after a long day riding. You can
still keep the heart rate up by lifting weights with the upper body.
The rest of that article I don't buy, unless you are talking about a
cyclist who is in really bad overall shape except for his legs.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka wrote:
:: Ken C. M. wrote:
::: A couple of question, I looked in google groups and didn't really
::: see an answer to these two questions.
:::
[...]

Not being ripped has little to do with strong abs. OTOH, strong abs and
core are important in almost every activity you can imagine.

The only upper body
:: muscles I have used are maybe my back and arms for pulling up on the
:: bars for a break the pedals level stand and attack the hill type
:: thing, and that might be only a few times a year.

You're not thinking correctly, Bill. A strong core is what supports almost
all movement. Most of the muscle on your body is in the legs, abs, and
back. The loads spread so you won't notice fatique quite like you should in
biceps or some other small muscle.

Bill Baka wrote:
:: Neil Brooks wrote:
[...]

Just because you don't buy it doesn't make is so.

Roger Zoul wrote:

> Just because you don't buy it doesn't make is so.

It may be just because I have a naturally strong 'core' or whatever and
can't believe that someone could get that weak in the upper body that it
would have a bad effect on their cycling. I don't think I could
intentionally get 'THAT' out of shape. It seems that you would have to
be a super couch potato and cyclist to notice any bad effects, and the
two don't go hand in hand.
I do remember the old saying of never eat and swim, but that is all I
can remember, nothing about cycling, maybe because a bad stomach won't
cause you to drown.
I obviously am not claiming to be a medical expert, since I am not, but
I have never experienced upper body problems from riding except for some
near blisters on my hands from riding slow and putting too much weight
on the bars last week. 40 miles times slow sightseeing.
Bill Baka

Bill Baka wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
:::
::: Just because you don't buy it doesn't make is so.
:::
:::
:: It may be just because I have a naturally strong 'core' or whatever
:: and can't believe that someone could get that weak in the upper body
:: that it would have a bad effect on their cycling.

I think most people are strong enough the the trunk area to do fine in
"normal" cycling.
However, kinks start showing up when you try to move to the upper levels of
cycling. Most don't need to do anythign special, but if you really want to
be good at say climbing, and I mean good, not normal, then attention to core
will be much more important.

I don't think I
:: could intentionally get 'THAT' out of shape. It seems that you would
:: have to be a super couch potato and cyclist to notice any bad
:: effects, and the two don't go hand in hand.

Again, I don't think it is much of an issue for normal folks doing normal
rides, but it could impact those who really want to push the curve.

:: I do remember the old saying of never eat and swim, but that is all I
:: can remember, nothing about cycling, maybe because a bad stomach
:: won't cause you to drown.

No, but you might not make it home...

:: I obviously am not claiming to be a medical expert, since I am not,
:: but I have never experienced upper body problems from riding except
:: for some near blisters on my hands from riding slow and putting too
:: much weight on the bars last week. 40 miles times slow sightseeing.
:: Bill Baka

I don't think it's an issue of having problems, it more an issue of maxing
performance.