Ability to change travel

Caher

May 22, 2003
Hi all,
I ordered and was fitted with a new pair of Reba teams. However I have just discovered that the bike ship has fitted the wrong version as I asked for the type that has an external U-Turn, my version means you have to take the forks apart and fit some spaces to get the extra travel
Am I missing out on much? Could mine be adapted?
Many thanks

Caher said:
Hi all,
I ordered and was fitted with a new pair of Reba teams. However I have just discovered that the bike ship has fitted the wrong version as I asked for the type that has an external U-Turn, my version means you have to take the forks apart and fit some spaces to get the extra travel
Am I missing out on much? Could mine be adapted?
Many thanks

I can only help you with book knowledge at this stage. I have ordered a Reba myself and looked at a few reviews in the process. The reviews suggest that you may be better off with the fork you got than the one with the U-turn. Apparently, the Reba is such a great fork that you are not likely to use the extra 15mm travel, unless you have an adjustable shock at the back that can be set for long travel lengths. The 85mm setting may be more useful, but only if you are climbing l-o-n-g very steep climbs and even then it is a little luxury that many reviewers feel isn't worth the extra 100g that you will have to carry around the rest of the time. Me, I was in two minds but have decided in the end to go for the U-turn and suffer the weight penalty, but only because I have a tendency of ending up on one of those l-o-n-g steep climbs.

Many thanks. I used it on Saturday and its revolutionised my ride. I was attempting tracks I never tried before because of the confidence induced by the fork.
PS where have you read the reviews?