Abnormal ECG- what does this mean ?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by anita1766, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. anita1766

    anita1766 Guest

    Hi all

    A little history:
    ==========
    I recently had a thoridectomy and modified radical neck dissection for papillary thyroid cancer. I
    am waiting to get RAI ablation, in the meantime I still am experiencing the issues with

    The sleep doc says- no apnea, but definitely noted fast breathing at various times during the study-
    especially during day time naps. she does not know what is causing this "respiratory instability" as
    she calls it. She also noted I have excessive daytie sleepiness, but no typical signs of narcolepsy
    ie., no REM sleep in day time naps.

    I have chest pains. I have had ECGs done before and they all said I was normal but the
    latest EKG said

    * non-specific st abnormality
    * low voltage QRS
    * abnormal ECG
    * non specific T wave abnormality now evident in anterior leads

    What does all this mean ? Is this indicative of early CHF ? I could go to a cardiologist, but dont
    want to tell my PCP as yet, because of all the doctors I have seen in the last few months (endo,
    onco, surgeon, PCP) and I dont want her to write me off as a head case. so I wont ask for a referral
    unless it seems like something is wrong.

    But I have to get to the bottom of my sleep onset fast/slow breathing which makes my chest hurt and
    headache. There is not a day that goes by without this happening several times. :( This problem may
    have started after spending a very long time (about 6 hrs in the day) in a smoke filled bar where
    everyone around me was smoking. My doctors are very focused on the thyroid cancer, but this
    sleepiness, chest pain, weird breathing etc., is making my life hell. I guess I could tolerate the
    other problems I am having if this would only go away.

    Thanks Anita

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > A little history:
    > ==========
    > I recently had a thoridectomy and modified radical neck dissection for papillary thyroid cancer. I
    > am waiting to get RAI ablation, in the meantime I still am experiencing the issues with
    >
    > The sleep doc says- no apnea, but definitely noted fast breathing at various times during the study-
    > especially during day time naps. she does not know what is causing this "respiratory instability"
    > as she calls it. She also noted I have excessive daytie sleepiness, but no typical signs of
    > narcolepsy ie., no REM sleep in day time naps.
    >
    > I have chest pains. I have had ECGs done before and they all said I was normal but the latest
    > EKG said
    >
    > * non-specific st abnormality
    > * low voltage QRS
    > * abnormal ECG
    > * non specific T wave abnormality now evident in anterior leads
    >
    > What does all this mean ?

    Could be from hypothyroidism.

    > Is this indicative of early CHF ?

    No.

    > I could go to a cardiologist, but dont want to tell my PCP as yet, because of all the doctors I
    > have seen in the last few months (endo, onco, surgeon, PCP) and I dont want her to write me off
    > as a head case. so I wont ask for a referral unless it seems like something is wrong.
    >
    > But I have to get to the bottom of my sleep onset fast/slow breathing which makes my chest hurt
    > and headache. There is not a day that goes by without this happening several times. :( This
    > problem may have started after spending a very long time (about 6 hrs in the day) in a smoke
    > filled bar where everyone around me was smoking. My doctors are very focused on the thyroid
    > cancer, but this sleepiness, chest pain, weird breathing etc., is making my life hell. I guess I
    > could tolerate the other problems I am having if this would only go away.

    I will mention you in my prayers, in Christ's name.

    > Thanks

    You are welcome, Anita. :)

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Carol T

    Carol T Guest

    > What does all this mean ? Is this indicative of early CHF ? I could go to a cardiologist,
    > <<<<<<<<<<

    Dear Anita,

    Having a thyroidectomy does some strange things to you, especially sending you hypothyroid and
    messing around with your emotions and well-being. You probably need some thyroid medication, maybe
    quite a lot if there has been an assault on your thyroid. Sometimes people's thyroid slowly descend
    into hypothyroidism which isn't picked up because their tests are falling within the normal range,
    but they are moving out of it. Some doctors won't act until the tests are actually out of the range,
    some won't even consider running a series of tests, but in this case and it may be worth your
    'symptoms' being treated rather than waiting. Especially so as you heart becomes involved.

    Some people may have always lived their lives near to the hyperactive side of normal and to be
    forcibly kept at a hypothyroid end of normal through restricting medication will be very
    distressing. You will have to work with your doctor to resolve this.

    A word of warning, thyroxin does not adjust itself to your body's needs as a normal functioning
    thyroid will, it is simply a dose to make lab results and improve your well-being. A simple dose of
    T4 cannot possible replace all the other functions of the thyroid which produces other elements in
    trace amounts (the fine tweaking) The medicine should be taken regularly and at the same time every
    day without food.

    You may chose to wait and see if what thyroid you have returns to normal, some people do.

    > makes my chest hurt and headache. There is not a day that goes by without this happening several
    > times. <<<<<<<<<<<,

    Thyroid cancer is 'fortunately' one of the most successful cancers to treat from a curative surgical
    and blood test point of view. However, it leaves people dealing with the normal thoughts and
    feelings of cancer patients, but with the mechanics to deal with it all dysfunction. So you will
    have lots going on in your body and mind.

    Working with people smoking around you isn't very nice, you should try not to work in these
    atmospheres again. It's best to ask a close friend who know you to look out for changes in your body
    and personality. Also keep a close eye on your weight and write down any changes. Decide a set point
    in your mind and ingrain it in there with a dogged determination. your body will be metabolising
    foods differently and any weight gain can be insidious, but won't come off easily.

    There are a couple of men in the alt.support.thyroid newsgroup who both have Ph.D's (one in
    biochemistry and the other in mathematics, I think) but they have lived with thyroid problems and
    helped many people over the years with the philosophical issues and also to challenge the old
    fashioned mind set on thyroid issues. Look out for Kevin G. Rhoads, he will certainly be able to
    help and no question is too silly or small for him, I can't remember the name of the other man I
    am afraid.

    A man called Robert Tait started the newsgroup a few years ago and it now has millions of hits from
    all over the world, and it has become one of the largest used Internet support groups. So you are
    not alone nor are you a head case, I promise you this.

    I pray that you will soon be feeling better, all the best.

    Carol T