About an old BMX and mountain bike legend.

small change wrote:
> Hunter wrote:
>

> > I know people have to be skeptical about people asking for info about
> > anyone, but I wasn't asking for her street address on where she lived,
> > nor her personal phone number, just a couple of gaps in her public
> > pedigree I thought a simple question could fill. Again, I thought my
> > fellow bikers would help but I was wrong.
> >
> > ---->Hunter

> If someone's got their email on their website, just email them duh. You
> think it was put there for decoration? If they think you are being weird,
> you'll either get ignored, deleted or blocked. And maybe your fellow bikers
> don't have the answers. I always love it when people post looking for an
> answer to a question and then get cranky when they dont' get the information
> they want.

----
As I said, I thought I could get it from a public source and as it
turned out there wasn't a need to. I probably would had ended up
e-mailing her for the info if I haven't gotten it. I may still do so
informing of what it was for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheri_Elliott

See my response to "Marty" for a more detailed answer.

----->Hunter

On 2 Jan 2006 12:49:48 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>---->Hunter, an old school BMX'er from the 1980's who just wanted to
>give credit to one of the best female racers the sport has seen.

There are worse things than being a stalker - having nothing better to
do with your time than to write up all these responses may be one of
them. For a really, really long post, at the end of the day it has to
elicit a response that rises above a collective "whatever" to be
worthwhile. Otherwise, I suggest developing a drinking habit instead.
Better use of time.

But if you are enjoying yourself, by all means continue. Far be it
from me to interrupt someone having fun.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2006 12:49:48 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >---->Hunter, an old school BMX'er from the 1980's who just wanted to
> >give credit to one of the best female racers the sport has seen.

> There are worse things than being a stalker - having nothing better to
> do with your time than to write up all these responses may be one of
> them. For a really, really long post, at the end of the day it has to
> elicit a response that rises above a collective "whatever" to be
> worthwhile. Otherwise, I suggest developing a drinking habit instead.
> Better use of time.
>
> But if you are enjoying yourself, by all means continue. Far be it
> from me to interrupt someone having fun.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

-----
Well, as anyone who has known me on USENET knows I like to back up what
I say. If it was a long post It is because I like to refute arguments
point by point.

You noticed the length of my previous response, notice another thing: I
have never resorted to insults, unlike most people in this group. Those
who do reveal the flaws of their arguments and stance.

---->Hunter

Marty wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > JD wrote:
> >> stalker
> >>
> >> JD

> > ----
> > See my response to "Marty" for a detailed answer to your leap to
> > conclusion. This is what the info was for by the way:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheri_Elliott
> >
> > --->Hunter
> >

> If you leave your rope out there someone is bound to yank it.
>
> This is actually fun to watch.
>
> Marty

----
You can always find something to "yank" depending on the frame of mind
of the reader

Have fun.

---->Hunter.

On 2 Jan 2006 13:32:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>You noticed the length of my previous response, notice another thing: I
>have never resorted to insults, unlike most people in this group. Those
>who do reveal the flaws of their arguments and stance.

Anyone that 'resorts' to insults is simply not giving insults their
proper consideration and due. OTOH, I think it is a logical fallacy
(in most cases) to say that resorting to insults reveal flaws in
arguments or stance. Please show how a disjoint insult would
necessarily reveal a flaw in logic.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2006 13:32:59 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >You noticed the length of my previous response, notice another thing: I
> >have never resorted to insults, unlike most people in this group. Those
> >who do reveal the flaws of their arguments and stance.

> Anyone that 'resorts' to insults is simply not giving insults their
> proper consideration and due. OTOH, I think it is a logical fallacy
> (in most cases) to say that resorting to insults reveal flaws in
> arguments or stance. Please show how a disjoint insult would
> necessarily reveal a flaw in logic.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels...

----
Just resorting to it. If you have the strong base of reason and
argument to support a position the need for insults would not exist.
Insults are often used to obscure the weakness of an assumption or
conclusion. That is the basis of the ad hominem attack.

Some people have called me a stalker; no one has explained how asking
about the birthdate and the retirement status of a bicycle racer
constitutes stalking beyond pointing out my screen name, which I
countered with evidence that that is a very, very weak piece of
evidence which involves projecting a preconceived notion on to it.

Just reread the immediate answers to my original post. The immediate
assumptions was I was a stalker or I didn't use Google with questions
about my intelligence for not supposedly using it. Hardly
intellectual-to say nothing of polite-inquires. Then when I responded
as to why I asked and why my questions where no means stalking, I got
more insults and still no explanation as to the stalking question.

People will not admit it, but their response to my original inquiry was
a knee-jerk one.

---->Hunter

[email protected] wrote:
> The immediate
> assumptions was I was a stalker or I didn't use Google with questions
> about my intelligence for not supposedly using it.

It sure looked stalkeresque to me.

It's also painfully obvious that you are quite inept with use of a
search engine.

JD

JD wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > The immediate
> > assumptions was I was a stalker or I didn't use Google with questions
> > about my intelligence for not supposedly using it.

> It sure looked stalkeresque to me.
>
> It's also painfully obvious that you are quite inept with use of a
> search engine.
>
> JD

---
And you have not explained what makes my asking about the birthdate and
the retirement status of a bike racer "stalkeresque"? Did you find a
site with her birthdate and/or retirement status using your highly
competent search skills? If so, what is it since you imply that it
would be so easy to find. Don't point to Wikipedia since I wrote the
article in the first place and got the data I wanted from other
sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheri_Elliott

If you don't answer affirmatively this will be an excellent example of
the ad hominem attack, as if your first response wasn't.

--->Hunter

On 2 Jan 2006 15:37:46 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Just resorting to it. If you have the strong base of reason and
>argument to support a position the need for insults would not exist.
>Insults are often used to obscure the weakness of an assumption or
>conclusion. That is the basis of the ad hominem attack.

The above is a refutation of your original comment. 'Often' does not
make an argument, much less prove a direct relationship between
insults and weak arguments. Nor does wishing it so make it so. But
feel free to try again.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Hunter" <[email protected]> writes:

>> A quick google will yeild the answers that you seek.

> ---
> I did for the prior two days and I am now. I have not found the
> specific data I wanted. I thought fellow bikers would be helpful. I see
> I was mistaken.

I had a kick at the can, with no success. I see what you're up against.
I tried throwing in words like 'bio' and 'career' into the mix,
but no soap.

When I added "norba" the latest date that turned up in the hits
was 2000, and it was 1999 with "uci". Or maybe it was the other
way around. Anyway "John Tomac" showed up in the hits as well,
and that's getting into ancient history.

My speculation FWIW (and I realize this doesn't do you much good)
is, she doesn't want her age publicly known (I respect that) and
she may be "semi-retired" from competition but perhaps wanting to
keep her options open.

I note she co-authored a book with Jennifer E. Drury, called:
"The Athlete's Guide to Sponsorship: How to Find an Individual,
Team or Event Sponsor" (published in 2000, ISBN #1884737781).
I figure when they start writing books, that generally indicates
the ends of their competitive careers.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Hunter" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >> A quick google will yeild the answers that you seek.

> > ---
> > I did for the prior two days and I am now. I have not found the
> > specific data I wanted. I thought fellow bikers would be helpful. I see
> > I was mistaken.

> I had a kick at the can, with no success. I see what you're up against.
> I tried throwing in words like 'bio' and 'career' into the mix,
> but no soap.
>
> When I added "norba" the latest date that turned up in the hits
> was 2000, and it was 1999 with "uci". Or maybe it was the other
> way around. Anyway "John Tomac" showed up in the hits as well,
> and that's getting into ancient history.

----
Actually when I used Cheri Elliott and norba in conjunction I came up
with this google cached page of a web-page that no longer exist Called
"Rider's Details" concerning mtb results and rankings with the uci :

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...iderdetail.asp?IDRider=2175+cheri+norba&hl=en

So far it is the only public site I have found with her birthday. Still
no word on her retirement date, but in either case it is moot now since
I got both from different sources a couple of days ago.

> My speculation FWIW (and I realize this doesn't do you much good)
> is, she doesn't want her age publicly known (I respect that) and
> she may be "semi-retired" from competition but perhaps wanting to
> keep her options open.

----
Nah, I think she was just a member of a relatively obscure sport
(compared to say football) and therefore not that famous outside of the
bike racing community (no one take "obscure sport" as an insult please
since I am an old BMXer, so obscure does not mean the same as
unimportant to me.). I doubt she has any hangups over her age.

> I note she co-authored a book with Jennifer E. Drury, called:
> "The Athlete's Guide to Sponsorship: How to Find an Individual,
> Team or Event Sponsor" (published in 2000, ISBN #1884737781).
> I figure when they start writing books, that generally indicates
> the ends of their competitive careers.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

-----
I already know, I found those things 10 minutes into my original search
and incorporated into the Wiki page I am writing about Cheri:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheri_Elliott

But a big *thank you* for trying to help instead of tear down and/or
make leaps to ugly conclusions.

Man, let's say for arguments sake I was incompetent using a search
engine, is the impulse to flame stronger than to help? Not not
referring to you of course.

Again, thanks Tom.

---->Hunter

In article <[email protected]>,
"Hunter" <[email protected]> writes:

> (no one take "obscure sport" as an insult please
> since I am an old BMXer, so obscure does not mean the same as
> unimportant to me.).

Let's call it "esoteric" ;-)

cheers,
Tom

--

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2006 15:37:46 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Just resorting to it. If you have the strong base of reason and
> >argument to support a position the need for insults would not exist.
> >Insults are often used to obscure the weakness of an assumption or
> >conclusion. That is the basis of the ad hominem attack.

> The above is a refutation of your original comment. 'Often' does not
> make an argument, much less prove a direct relationship between
> insults and weak arguments. Nor does wishing it so make it so. But
> feel free to try again.
>
> Curtis L. Russell
> Odenton, MD (USA)
> Just someone on two wheels..

---
I did not intend for my answer to be a totally scientific one, just a
trend of behavior, just like people who offer large crackpot conspiracy
theories like the government staging 9/11 tend to make people who
question them prove a negative. In this situation with my request for
information, instead of helping or asking questions it was assumed I
wanted the info for nefarious reasons and/or I couldn't use a search
engine. There was no intellectual reasons offered or asked for by the
respondents, just the assumptions and the disparaging remarks to go
with those assumptions. When I explained what it was for and provided a
rational argument as to why they were wrong, more insults and still no
explanation as to why they would have thought what they thought with
the except from one person and it was pretty vague and weak, something
about clues in the body of my post and my screen tag. The insults did
not come with any arguments, but offered in there stead. That was the
ad hominem response I was speaking of and such a tactic is a sign of
the lack of a strong base of reasons for their assumptions and yes it
does often happen that way. As to wishing it trying to make it so, it
has nothing to do with wishing, it is just an observation; and I have
yet to receive an explanation as to why my two questions about a
birthday and retirement status is stalking.

Does hurling insults make it a sure sign of intellectual bankruptcy?
Maybe, maybe not, but it is surely unnecessary. Why would it be? And
still an explanation for their belief has not been offered.

---->Hunter

[email protected] wrote:
> Hiya Hunter!
> Don't know about Cheri Elliot's active/retired status, but would you
> be interested in her rookie card. Oh, wait, they don't do bubblegum
> cards for bike racers, do they?
>
> Robert Leone [email protected]

----
And the point of your post is.....?

--->Hunter

Hunter wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Hiya Hunter!
> > Don't know about Cheri Elliot's active/retired status, but would you
> > be interested in her rookie card. Oh, wait, they don't do bubblegum
> > cards for bike racers, do they?
> >
> > Robert Leone [email protected]

> ----
> And the point of your post is.....?
>
> --->Hunter

Your obsession/hero-worshipping is sad, yet amusing.

JD adds homenim to his menudo recipe

Dear Hunter:
The point is that even for aficionados, career details of "old BMX
and mountain bike legends" are simply not present, available and
endlessly speculated upon to the same degree as for "mainstream sports"
figures. An old racer announces retirement, and it might not get
covered at all in the major cycling glossies.. Or a former racer may
not even see the need for an announcement of retirement -- and simply
not race for a few years, then show up in some Masters contests.
Even with Lance-mania, the average major chain bookstore in the US
devotes about as much shelf space to ALL aspects of cycling as it does
to baseball statistics, give or take two feet.
Yours,

Punter wrote:
> And you have not explained what makes my asking about the birthdate and
> the retirement status of a bike racer "stalkeresque"?

If you have to ask, then you'll never understand, psycho.

> Did you find a
> site with her birthdate and/or retirement status using your highly
> competent search skills? If so, what is it since you imply that it
> would be so easy to find.

WTF would I want to know about some has-been bmx racerist person?
You're the punter who cross-posted this to a mountain biking newsgroup
and are still thrashing about in it.

> Don't point to Wikipedia since I wrote the
> article in the first place and got the data I wanted from other
> sources:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheri_Elliott

Don't worry, weak-o-pedia is only as good as the information dilweeds
like you put in it and I'll never use it.

> If you don't answer affirmatively this will be an excellent example of
> the ad hominem attack, as if your first response wasn't.

Again, I'll add hominy to my menudo every time I make it.

JD