About an old BMX and mountain bike legend.

Sorni wrote:
> Hunter wrote:
>
> > How does dumbass relate to cycling?

> Numbass.

----
Speaking another language now?

---->Hunter

Hunter wrote:

> ---
> How does dumbass relate to cycling?
>
> ---->Hunter

That is a term of endearment peculiar to r.b.r.

punter wrote:
> How does dumbass relate to cycling?

Check the mirror.

JD

On 6 Jan 2006 02:43:34 -0800, "Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sorni wrote:
>> Hunter wrote:
>>
>> > How does dumbass relate to cycling?

>> Numbass.

>----
>Speaking another language now?
>
>---->Hunter

Always been a little thick, haven't ya.

Ron

RonSonic wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2006 02:43:34 -0800, "Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Sorni wrote:

> >> Numbass.

> >----
> >Speaking another language now?
> >
> >---->Hunter

> Always been a little thick, haven't ya.
>
> Ron

-----
That is in the eye of the beholder, and what one sees is not
neccessarily true..

--->Hunter

RonSonic wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2006 02:43:34 -0800, "Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Sorni wrote:

> >> Numbass.

> >----
> >Speaking another language now?
> >
> >---->Hunter

> Always been a little thick, haven't ya.
>
> Ron

-----
That is in the eye of the beholde, and what one sees is not
neccessarily true..

--->Hunter

-----
That is in the eye of the beholde, and what one sees is not
neccessarily true..

--->Hunter

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> RonSonic wrote:

> > >----
> > >Speaking another language now?
> > >
> > >---->Hunter

> > Always been a little thick, haven't ya.
> >
> > Ron

> -----
> That is in the eye of the beholde, and what one sees is not
> neccessarily true..

---Habitat---The Maples, belonging to the genus Acer,
natural order Aceraceae, are for the most part trees,
inhabitants of the temperate regions of the Northern
Hemisphere, particularly North America, Northern India and
Japan.

---Description---The leaves are long-stalked, placed
opposite to one another, and palmately lobed; the flowers,
in fascicles appearing before the leaves as in the Norway
Maple, or in racemes appearing with, or later than, the
leaves as in the Sycamore Some of the flowers are often
imperfect.

The dry fruit, termed a 'samara,' is composed of two
one-seeded cells, furnished with wings, which divide when
ripe, the winged seeds being borne by the wind to a
considerable distance.

The leaves of the Maples commonly exhibit varnish-like
smears, of sticky consistence, known as honey-dew. This is
the excretion of the aphides which live on the leaves; the
insect bores holes into the tissues, sucks their juices
and ejects a drop of honeydew, on an average once in half
an hour. In passing under a tree infested with aphides the
drops can be felt like a fine rain. The fluid is rich in
sugar. When the dew falls, the honey-dew takes it up and
spreads over the leaf; later in the day evaporation
reduces it to the state of a varnish on the leaf surface,
which aids in checking transpiration. Many other trees
exhibit this phenomenon, e.g. lime, beech, oak, etc.

Most of the Maples yield a saccharine juice from the
trunk, branches and leaves. The wood of almost all the
species is useful for many purposes, especially to the
cabinetmaker, the turner and the musical instrument-maker,
and for the manufacture of alkali the Maples of North
America are of great value.

Many species with finely-cut or variegated leaves have
been introduced, especially from Japan, as ornamental
shrubs, most of them remarkable for the coppery-purple
tint that pervades the leaves and younger growths.

The Common Maple (Acer campestre, Linn.) is the only
species indigenous to Great Britain. This and the
Sycamore, or Great Maple, were described by Gerard in
1597, the latter as 'a stranger to England.'

--
Michael Press

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:07:09 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article
><[email protected]>,
> "Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> RonSonic wrote:

>> > Always been a little thick, haven't ya.
>> >
>> > Ron

>> -----
>> That is in the eye of the beholde, and what one sees is not
>> neccessarily true..

Ahh, saved by the doe snot.

>---Habitat---The Maples, belonging to the genus Acer,
>natural order Aceraceae, are for the most part trees,

"For the most part trees?" Some of them take up hatracking or billiard cueing?

Ron

>inhabitants of the temperate regions of the Northern
>Hemisphere, particularly North America, Northern India and
>Japan.
>
>---Description---The leaves are long-stalked, placed
>opposite to one another, and palmately lobed; the flowers,
>in fascicles appearing before the leaves as in the Norway
>Maple, or in racemes appearing with, or later than, the
>leaves as in the Sycamore Some of the flowers are often
>imperfect.
>
> The dry fruit, termed a 'samara,' is composed of two
>one-seeded cells, furnished with wings, which divide when
>ripe, the winged seeds being borne by the wind to a
>considerable distance.
>
> The leaves of the Maples commonly exhibit varnish-like
>smears, of sticky consistence, known as honey-dew. This is
>the excretion of the aphides which live on the leaves; the
>insect bores holes into the tissues, sucks their juices
>and ejects a drop of honeydew, on an average once in half
>an hour. In passing under a tree infested with aphides the
>drops can be felt like a fine rain. The fluid is rich in
>sugar. When the dew falls, the honey-dew takes it up and
>spreads over the leaf; later in the day evaporation
>reduces it to the state of a varnish on the leaf surface,
>which aids in checking transpiration. Many other trees
>exhibit this phenomenon, e.g. lime, beech, oak, etc.
>
> Most of the Maples yield a saccharine juice from the
>trunk, branches and leaves. The wood of almost all the
>species is useful for many purposes, especially to the
>cabinetmaker, the turner and the musical instrument-maker,
>and for the manufacture of alkali the Maples of North
>America are of great value.
>
> Many species with finely-cut or variegated leaves have
>been introduced, especially from Japan, as ornamental
>shrubs, most of them remarkable for the coppery-purple
>tint that pervades the leaves and younger growths.
>
> The Common Maple (Acer campestre, Linn.) is the only
>species indigenous to Great Britain. This and the
>Sycamore, or Great Maple, were described by Gerard in
>1597, the latter as 'a stranger to England.'

"RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:07:09 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>>---Habitat---The Maples, belonging to the genus Acer,
>>natural order Aceraceae, are for the most part trees,

> "For the most part trees?" Some of them take up hatracking or billiard
> cueing?

I am not sure what makes something qualify as a "tree". I am aware of
Japanese maples being available in a "dwarf" variety, which makes them just
a couple of feet off of the ground -- maybe they're classified as bushes?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Claire Petersky wrote:
> "RonSonic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 04:07:09 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>---Habitat---The Maples, belonging to the genus Acer,
> >>natural order Aceraceae, are for the most part trees,

> > "For the most part trees?" Some of them take up hatracking or billiard
> > cueing?

> I am not sure what makes something qualify as a "tree". I am aware of
> Japanese maples being available in a "dwarf" variety, which makes them just
> a couple of feet off of the ground -- maybe they're classified as bushes?

Hi Claire,

The difference between a tree and a bush is that a bush branches at
ground level[1] but a tree branches above ground level (ie has a
trunk).

So a 1ft high bonsai pine would be a tree but a 10ft flowering
redcurrant wouldn't be.

Hope this helps,

...d

[1] standard pruning notwithstanding. If left to it's own devices..