About coaching ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by CatSpin, Jun 11, 2003.

1. CatSpin

CatSpin New Member

So I have decided I want to ramp up the comeback pace and get a coach. Here in NEW YORK there are a number to choose from. Prices don't vary much but safe to say I am looking at a $500 investment...I think.

For those who coach, or have coaches, can I get some pointers on what to expect out of the experience. I am also looking for an objective opinion of the amount of time I will have to "invest" in formal training. Can I simply get a training program tailor-made for me, some technique training and other pointers in say 5 sessions?

Can coaching be turned on and off for those who are not on a Pro team and can't afford the investment in a full time coach?

Comments appreciated,

CatSpin

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

Originally posted by CatSpin
    So I have decided I want to ramp up the comeback pace and get a coach. Here in NEW YORK there are a number to choose from. Prices don't vary much but safe to say I am looking at a $500 investment...I think.

>Have you thought about coaching over the net, you could even get a coach in the UK. In the UK many people work for free or charge small amounts just to give some value to their recomendations look at www.britishcycling.org.uk or www.abcc.freeserve.co.uk. Not sure if Ric can help you out, but you could give him a try. Main thing is to find someone who you get allong with (as you'll communicate lots) and actualy cares whether or not you improve!

For those who coach, or have coaches, can I get some pointers on what to expect out of the experience.

>Expect a high level of communication and expect to give a lot of feedback to your coach. Often coaches can acheive greater gains over less time just because they use basic/sound training principles which riders tend to ignore. Coaches are also able to look at your training more objectivly. First communications usualy set up some kind of training regime and imporve nutrition/training practices, the real work takes much longer.

I am also looking for an objective opinion of the amount of time I will have to "invest" in formal training.

>You will only be able to spend the amount of time you have available and in a week would look to complete 6 hours training up to about 15 hours training a week. This will vary with goals and time of year.

Can I simply get a training program tailor-made for me, some technique training and other pointers in say 5 sessions?

>Generaly the development of a programme is on going as you and the coach respond to set backs and improvements. If you are not willing to develop a programme in this way you are best following one out of a book, because it will do you as much good! A good program should be specific to your goals, fit into your lifestyle and be progressive. Look for use of periodization in the plan, lesser coaches tend to ignore this useful tool.

Can coaching be turned on and off for those who are not on a Pro team and can't afford the investment in a full time coach?

>Coaching should not be turned off and on, but with the coach you can decide on periods where there is more contact (e.g. every other day) (i.e. during the season) or less contact (e.g. every month) (i.e. out of season, around exams or work). The reason why coaches should not be turned on and off is because you want the coach to get to know you and the times at which you need the coach most will be times when there are problems and we just don't know when they will happen.

>I suggest that you look for a coach that requires little monetary investment. Look at http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/coaching/locate_a_coach.html for a list of coaches in the UK with e-mail addresses. Some of the trainee coaches may be very keen to help for free as it will allow them to complete their qualification. As far as I can work out, the club coaches have all demonstrated their ability to work with riders and would also be a good bet. You will need to contact them see if they are willing to help, what they expect from you (time, feedback, money, etc.), if you can get on with them and if they can give you what you need. Don't be affraid to question any coach or sport scientist on their actions (good ones will have answers!) or change coach if one particular coaching/rider relationship fails to work out.

>Let me know if that answers all of your questions, but I do think a UK coach may be a way to go for you and others.

Comments appreciated,

CatSpin

3. CatSpin

CatSpin New Member

Thank you 2-LAP for your comments. Very helpful as always.

I will research the pool of UK coaches as the e-mail option is a good, and cost-effective, one to get the program started.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

4. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Catspin,

2Laps reply is a great one. To add on to 2Laps reply i can possibly help you - depending on exactly what type of coaching or advice you require.

if you have any specific queries either email me at [email protected] or put a message on the board!

cheers
    ric

5. CitizenErased

CitizenErased New Member

I think the best solution would be to check out 53x12.com website, developed in cooperation with Lance Armstrong's coach Dr. Michele Ferrari.

Why? Simply because Dr. Ferrari is one of the best physiologists/sport medical doctors in the world, and his career says it all.
    Check this out, I found it on a cycling website:

"World Cycling Academy today announced the April launch of its cycling website dedicated to making renown cycling coach and trainer Dr. Michele Ferrari’s professional cycling programs available to a global audience.

Dr. Ferrari is known as the personal coach and training director of the world’s foremost riders. Many riders in the past chose Dr. Ferrari as a training guidance, legends like: Francesco Moser, Gianni Bugno, Toni Rominger, Moreno Argentin, Evgueni Berzin, Pavel Tonkov are just a few of the most successful cyclists that relied on Michele Ferrari’s knowledge and intuitions to better perform through their professional careers. Cyclists supported by Dr. Ferrari managed to win several top-level races in over 20 years of his dedication to the cycling world, numbering 5 Tour de France, 9 Tour of Italy, 5 Tour of Spain including more than 20 classic events.

Dr Ferrari´s training realm has formerly benefited only the elite of the cycling world. Via World Cycling Academy´s web site cyclists everywhere can benefit from his decades of experience.

At www.53x12.com cyclists can now buy Dr. Ferrari’s individually tailored training schedules for beginners, intermediate and advanced riders. The programs are carefully detailed. Special time trial and winter training packages included."

Also, comparing the prices with others coaching websites, WCA is much more cheap!
    I'm a german duathlete/triathlete and I'm training with WCA since april, got a Timetrail program... and I can tell you it's really working super. My whole training view changed... all worth the money!

Just my 2 cent
    Markus
    :cool:

6. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

7. CitizenErased

CitizenErased New Member

Do you really think that Lance would train with Carmicheal's poor knowledge and programs? Who' s Carmicheal anyhow? Please... :p
    Lance and trainright.com are in the same business, that's why they are linked publicly...

About Ferrari...he's the best out there, and all the rumours and trial going on in Italy against him is because he's been demonized and there are political affairs that want to depict the whole pro cycling as corrupted and doped.
    No? A trial going on by more than a year and a half? If he was guilty, it shouldn't take so long... this whole thing against Dr. Ferrari stinks then...

read here instead of cheap press "reports" who don't give a damn about cycling...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/interviews/?id=ferrari03b

Chow,
    Markus