About Hamilton's fracture

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Derk, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Since there was some discussion about it in this forum:

    According to a journalist I heard yesterday on a TOUR dF TV program, Hamilton has a "green stick
    fracture". My wife, who works in a hospital, explained the details of it to me and I quickly forgot
    most of it rather fast :)

    It seems to happen mostly to children and is compared to a twig that you break with your hands: the
    parts don't get seperated.

    Maybe someone else is better informed about this fracture than I am?

    Greets, Derk

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Since there was some discussion about it in this forum:
    >
    >According to a journalist I heard yesterday on a TOUR dF TV program, Hamilton has a "green stick
    >fracture". My wife, who works in a hospital, explained the details of it to me and I quickly forgot
    >most of it rather fast :)
    >
    >It seems to happen mostly to children and is compared to a twig that you break with your hands: the
    >parts don't get seperated.
    >
    >Maybe someone else is better informed about this fracture than I am?

    Well I am only informed in the sense that I have had a green-stick fracture. It doesn't require
    setting and mine was splinted instead of cast. It's the kind of break that often goes untreated
    since you may not be aware that it's an actual break.

    For Tyler, aside from dealing with the pain, I think his main problem is risk of falling again
    before it's healed, which could be a real disaster and would make him look like a fool for
    racing on it.

    --Paul

  3. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Paul Southworth)

    >For Tyler, aside from dealing with the pain, I think his main problem is risk of falling again
    >before it's healed, which could be a real disaster (snip)

    I might have read it wrong but that seems to be the gist of the Roche sentiment, that Tyler is
    taking a serious risk he shouldn't be taking. --Tom Paterson

  4. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    A greenstick fracture is generally reserved for children whose bones are still hardening. Thus their bones can (with sufficient force) bend like a green piece of wood and get cracked but not all the way through the width of the bone.

    Tyler had a double hairline fracture in an inverted 'V' shape. As the pieces of bone were not displaced at all, his clavicle was not unstable. Thus it was possible for him to ride but with a lot of pain. Yes he's taking painkillers but they won't help too much and all the strongest ones are banned for professional sportspeople. He is one tough (or crazy?) cyclist.

  5. On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 04:30:18 +0000, Tom Paterson wrote:

    > I might have read it wrong but that seems to be the gist of the Roche sentiment, that Tyler is
    > taking a serious risk he shouldn't be taking.

    If Hamilton ends up on the podium in Paris, I doubt that he will have thought the risk was
    too great.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
    typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
    collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

  6. Derk

    Derk Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote:

    > Well I am only informed in the sense that I have had a green-stick fracture.

    That makes you an expert in my eyes. How painful was it?

    I am riding with a broken toe at the moment. It is extremely painful when I bump into something, but
    I don't feel it while cycling.....

    Greets, Derk

  7. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    news:<43ZTa.36830$A%[email protected]>...

    > For Tyler, aside from dealing with the pain, I think his main problem is risk of falling again
    > before it's healed, which could be a real disaster and would make him look like a fool for
    > racing on it.

    Why? What could he possibly do worse than break it? A broken collarbone is hardly a
    career-threatening injury, as countless cyclists have shown.

    James

  8. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    news:<43ZTa.36830$A%[email protected]>...

    > > For Tyler, aside from dealing with the pain, I think his main problem is risk of falling again
    > > before it's healed, which could be a real disaster and would make him look like a fool for
    > > racing on it.
    >
    > Why? What could he possibly do worse than break it? A broken collarbone is hardly a
    > career-threatening injury, as countless cyclists have shown.

    Because you and Tyler have some very important and large vessels and nerves running diretly beneath
    the clavicle. A fall on an already compromised bone might cause it to break and and possibly damage
    any of those structures.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  9. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "patch70" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A greenstick fracture is generally reserved for children whose bones
    are
    > still hardening. Thus their bones can (with sufficient force) bend
    like
    > a green piece of wood and get cracked but not all the way through the width of the bone.
    >
    > Tyler had a double hairline fracture in an inverted 'V' shape. As the pieces of bone were not
    > displaced at all, his clavicle was not
    unstable.
    > Thus it was possible for him to ride but with a lot of pain. Yes he's taking painkillers but they
    > won't help too much and all the strongest ones are banned for professional sportspeople. He is one
    > tough (or crazy?) cyclist.

    I was thinking that it could be more of a problem for other riders because pain pills tend to slow
    your reflexes and dull your attention -- at least the opioids I have taken had that effect. Not a
    good thing in a tight pack or on a twisting descent. -- Jay Beattie.

  10. Keven Ruf

    Keven Ruf Guest

    patch70 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > A greenstick fracture is generally reserved for children whose bones are still hardening. Thus
    > their bones can (with sufficient force) bend like a green piece of wood and get cracked but not
    > all the way through the width of the bone.

    This was what the doctor told us after examining the x-rays of our three-year-old son, who is the
    Tyler Hamilton of stairways. My son was back on the bike-- and on the stairway-- very quickly and
    the injury was painful for a while, but only required time to heal and no actual treatment.

    --Keven.

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Paul Southworth wrote:
    >
    >> Well I am only informed in the sense that I have had a green-stick fracture.
    >
    >That makes you an expert in my eyes. How painful was it?

    Well I don't know how painful it would be in a collarbone, mine was an arm. It felt like a broken
    bone. I fell off a ladder landed with my arm under my chest, yes it hurt a lot. Didn't try doing a
    3-week tour with it that way though.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, James Annan
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >[email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote in message
    >news:<43ZTa.36830$A%[email protected]>...
    >
    >> For Tyler, aside from dealing with the pain, I think his main problem is risk of falling again
    >> before it's healed, which could be a real disaster and would make him look like a fool for
    >> racing on it.
    >
    >Why? What could he possibly do worse than break it? A broken collarbone is hardly a
    >career-threatening injury, as countless cyclists have shown.

    From what I've heard, his collarbone is not separated and not broken through, only cracked. If he
    fell on it, there's a good chance it would separate and he might be having it screwed together.
    Furthermore sometimes people break a collarbone and find that it doesn't knit back together easily
    or quickly. In his current condition I predict he will heal up easily without surgery or other
    complications - no guarantee of that if he falls again.

    I agree it is not a career-threatening injury, and I'm not calling him stupid for riding the tour,
    just pointing out that if he really bashed it good he'd probably regret the decision.

  13. Derk

    Derk Guest

    I read in the evening paper that the French Tour doctor (dr G. Porte) said the clavicula had 2
    cracks: 1 from last years Giro and 1 from his fall this year.

    Speaking about falls: I read Armstrong's TREK's chainstay broke when he fell. That didn't look like
    a serious enough fall to break a carbon chainstay I would say. Strange.....

    Greets, Derk

  14. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Derk wrote:
    > I read in the evening paper that the French Tour doctor (dr G. Porte) said the clavicula had 2
    > cracks: 1 from last years Giro and 1 from his fall this year.
    >
    > Speaking about falls: I read Armstrong's TREK's chainstay broke when he fell. That didn't look
    > like a serious enough fall to break a carbon chainstay I would say. Strange.....
    >
    > Greets, Derk

    Iban Mayo rode over the back of LANCE's bike while falling.

  15. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote:

    > From what I've heard, his collarbone is not separated and not broken through, only cracked. If he
    > fell on it, there's a good chance it would separate and he might be having it screwed together.
    > Furthermore sometimes people break a collarbone and find that it doesn't knit back together easily
    > or quickly. In his current condition I predict he will heal up easily without surgery or other
    > complications - no guarantee of that if he falls again.
    >
    > I agree it is not a career-threatening injury, and I'm not calling him stupid for riding the tour,
    > just pointing out that if he really bashed it good he'd probably regret the decision.

    So there seems to be a small risk that by continuing riding, he might end up with a worse injury
    that would take a few months rather than weeks to heal. If the tour is the most important event to
    him, then I still don't see how that makes it sensible to give up on this major event, just to
    slightly reduce the risk of missing out on some more minor stuff over the next couple of months.

    James

  16. In article <[email protected]>, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >So there seems to be a small risk that by continuing riding, he might end up with a worse injury
    >that would take a few months rather than weeks to heal. If the tour is the most important event to
    >him, then I still don't see how that makes it sensible to give up on this major event, just to
    >slightly reduce the risk of missing out on some more minor stuff over the next couple of months.

    What's better for him, 5th or 6th in the Tour or 1st in the Vuelta?

    But it's his life, this is just his choice, he wants to ride.

    --Paul

  17. Misnomer

    Misnomer Guest

    Heres a pic of Tylers xray - just in case no one has posted it.

    http://www.cervelo.com/

    take care Liz