About Spoke Wrenchs...

sopas

Jul 20, 2004
Hello,

I want to buy a Spoke Wrench so I don't have to take the bike to the store everytime I have to align the wheel. The problem is that I dont know what type of Wrench do I need. There are different types SW-0, SW-1, etc.
I have a road TREK 1.2 with Alexrims AT450. Does anyone know what Spoke Wrench do I need?

Thank you very much!

sopas said:
Hello,

I want to buy a Spoke Wrench so I don't have to take the bike to the store everytime I have to align the wheel. The problem is that I dont know what type of Wrench do I need. There are different types SW-0, SW-1, etc.
I have a road TREK 1.2 with Alexrims AT450. Does anyone know what Spoke Wrench do I need?
The next time you are at your LBS, ask them which spoke wrench fits the nipples ...

OR, if you are getting the spoke wrenches through mail order, just get BOTH a GREEN & BLACK [for DT nipples] wrench ... if not a set of three. I've never needed the RED one.

BTW. PARK finally came out with wrenches that are designed for alloy nipples, but will work with brass nipples -- I don't have any, yet, but I recommend them for everyone.

The green one that park makes is the one you're looking for. Don't recall what the size is on it, but they're color coded.

You could also get a universal spoke wrench if you think that you may have different bikes/wheels to true in the future. There are adjustable ones, and roundd ones that have notches for every size spoke.

ToffoIsMe said:
The green one that park makes is the one you're looking for. Don't recall what the size is on it, but they're color coded.

You could also get a universal spoke wrench if you think that you may have different bikes/wheels to true in the future. There are adjustable ones, and roundd ones that have notches for every size spoke.
It is probably just me but I have always had problems with the universal and adjustable spoke wrenches. I have not had any serious problems with the Park color-coded wrenches.

kdelong said:
It is probably just me but I have always had problems with the universal and adjustable spoke wrenches. I have not had any serious problems with the Park color-coded wrenches.
The adjustable ones can be a bit finicky if you're not used to using them, but I've never had or heard of anyone having trouble with a universal spoke wrench.

Thank you very much for all your replies.

I finally bought a multi tool (19 tools) from Crank Bross than includes everyting. The spoke wrench can be used for 4 different sizes.!!! :)