About the jerseys

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> You can find info about the TdF jerseys and other TdF trivia at:
> http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/eddy/xtra.htm

i know i'm weird, but i think that the part on that page that says

"But the director of Le Vélo lost his sympathy amongst the public due to his political attitudes in
the Alfred Dreyfus-case (Dreyfus had been found guilty of high-treason in 1894)"

should maybe be edited (briefly) to mention that a.d. was later exonerated of the charge. heather

"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > You can find info about the TdF jerseys and other TdF trivia at:
> > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/eddy/xtra.htm
> >

> i know i'm weird, but i think that the part on that page that says
>
> "But the director of Le Vélo lost his sympathy amongst the public due to his political attitudes
> in the Alfred Dreyfus-case (Dreyfus had been found guilty of high-treason in 1894)"
>
> should maybe be edited (briefly) to mention that a.d. was later exonerated of the charge.

On second thought, it might be better to keep it as is, because then idiots like you will go off on
some whistle-blowing campaign and attract more attention to the site.

heather halvorson wrote:

> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > You can find info about the TdF jerseys and other TdF trivia at:
> > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/eddy/xtra.htm
> >

> i know i'm weird, but i think that the part on that page that says
>
> "But the director of Le Vélo lost his sympathy amongst the public due to his political attitudes
> in the Alfred Dreyfus-case (Dreyfus had been found guilty of high-treason in 1894)"
>
> should maybe be edited (briefly) to mention that a.d. was later exonerated of the charge. heather

It doesn't say much in the article, but the Dreyfus affair was about anti-semitism and scapegoating
Jews for french problems. Dreyfus was a Jew. The implication I draw is that the publisher of Le
Velo, who was run out of business by the Tour de France, was a defender of the Jews and therefore in
a moral sense the wrong man won.

Ed-D wrote:

> On second thought, it might be better to keep it as is, because then idiots like you will go off
> on some whistle-blowing campaign and attract more attention to the site.

i'm sorry to bob if my message came off as rude- i meant it in a friendly way. it was just something
i thought he would care about, & of course he doesn't need to change it if he doesn't see that it
could matter to anyone.

heather

Originally posted by Ed-D
"heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > You can find info about the TdF jerseys and other TdF trivia at:
> > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/eddy/xtra.htm
> >

> i know i'm weird, but i think that the part on that page that says
>
> "But the director of Le Vélo lost his sympathy amongst the public due to his political attitudes
> in the Alfred Dreyfus-case (Dreyfus had been found guilty of high-treason in 1894)"
>
> should maybe be edited (briefly) to mention that a.d. was later exonerated of the charge.

On second thought, it might be better to keep it as is, because then idiots like you will go off on
some whistle-blowing campaign and attract more attention to the site.

> heather

Great link Ed. I was wondering what ever happened to the Combination jersey. Also I'd never heard of the "best teamate", "most friendly rider" or the "fair play award". Good stuff.

"Ed-D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > Bob Schwartz wrote:
> > >
> > > You can find info about the TdF jerseys and other TdF trivia at:
> > > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/eddy/xtra.htm
> > >

> > i know i'm weird, but i think that the part on that page that says
> >
> > "But the director of Le Vélo lost his sympathy amongst the public due to his political attitudes
> > in the Alfred Dreyfus-case (Dreyfus had been found guilty of high-treason in 1894)"
> >
> > should maybe be edited (briefly) to mention that a.d. was later exonerated of the charge.
>
> On second thought, it might be better to keep it as is, because then
idiots
> like you will go off on some whistle-blowing campaign and attract more attention to the site.

I'm afraid the facts presented at the site are not quite incorrect. For instance, in 1903 Le Vélo
was flourishing (in spite or thanks to its pro-Dreyfus-stand) and L'Auto almost moribund. Second, Le
Vélo didn't lose its sympathy amongst "the public" (whatever that may be) because of its stand in
the Dreyfus-affair. On the contrary, in 1903 it was flourishing, perhaps because there were very few
people who still believed that Dreyfus was guilty (and yes, Heather is right, it should have been
mentioned.Otherwise, everything would have been quite incomprehensible) Colonel Henry who had
fabricated some of the evidence committed suicide in 1898, and although Dreyfus wasn't yet
rehabilitated, he was pardoned in 1899. Third, Desgrange didn't organize the Tour truing to give the
Vélo a definitive knock-out, but to save his own journal, which was almost moribund. Fourth, l'Auto
was neither pro, neither anti-Dreyfus. It just never mentioned the case. But since Desgrange's
announcement of the first Tour de France started with a quote from Emile Zola, Dreyfus' best known
defender, it must have had some hidden sympathies for the poor captain.

Benjo Maso