About those Lidl bike tools and a lumpy bottom bracket



S

Simon L

Guest
Having been pleased with the quantity of tools in the £16 Lidl tool
kit, I try not to be too annoyed when they break.

The chain tool broke on first use (my fault I suppose for not
tightening up the nut at the back so that the chain was resting on
something.)

I had to use two of the pressed steel spanners on the crank extractor
as they were bending out of shape.

And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has bent beyond
further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.


It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I believe it
should have moved under the pressure it took to bend the cheapo tool (I
did undo the lock ring).

Is this an upmarket version of the same tool?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.asp...x&Cat=cycle&w=0&CategoryName=Tools - Workshop

Parkers had a similar tool but referred to it as a Campy BB Cartridge
tool - I'm sure it's not a sealed unit though.

My LBS were a bit cautious when I described the problem and started
reeling off the number of a firm who could drill it out for me :-0
 
"Simon L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has
>bent beyond further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.


>It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I
>believe it should have moved under the pressure it took
>to bend the cheapo tool (I did undo the lock ring).


Did you mean

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

or

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

(urls hand-trimmed to the minimum :) )

Are the 6 divots round or square? (the tools above are for the round ones
found in ***/SKS cartridge bottom brackets)

You were undoing it the right way, weren't you? (sorry if that appears
patronising, but it is worth checking).

What sort of BB is it?

cheers,
clive
 
In article <[email protected]>
Clive George <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Simon L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has
> >bent beyond further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.

>
> >It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I
> >believe it should have moved under the pressure it took
> >to bend the cheapo tool (I did undo the lock ring).

>
> Did you mean
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105
>
> or
>
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364
>
> (urls hand-trimmed to the minimum :) )
>
> Are the 6 divots round or square? (the tools above are for the round ones
> found in ***/SKS cartridge bottom brackets)
>

At a pinch you can often remove that sort of cartridge with water pump
pliers. If it's a plastic shell and seized or badly chewed you can beat
the axle out with a large hammer[1] and saw/chisel/burn the rest out.

[1] Nasty, I know - don't bend the frame.
 

> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105


mmm maybe. Bit hard to to scale it.

> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364


I can't see that its got anything sticking out of it, but maybe.

The holes are round. My lidl tool was two arms on a pivot with allan
bolts going though the end of each arm, machined down to 3mm or so dia.


> You were undoing it the right way, weren't you? (sorry if that appears
> patronising, but it is worth checking).


No - I hadn't thought of this. Anti-clockwise on the LH crank side was
the way I had been going, so it would tend to loosen with normal
pedalling. But there is a lock ring.
 
It's in a Diamant frame I got off ebay a while back - never heard of
them before, Googling doesn't reveal too much. Steel frame, steel BB so
far as I can tell.
 
Simon L wrote:
> It's in a Diamant frame I got off ebay a while back - never heard of
> them before, Googling doesn't reveal too much. Steel frame, steel BB so
> far as I can tell.
>


German, so it should be BSC

Remove the RH cup (LH thread, big vise) and axle & bearings

Get a large (5/8 unc, M 14 etc) bolt & nut and bolt this through the LH
cup and have a go with a decent spanner. Mig welding a nut to the cup
will also work if you don't plan on re-using it


--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
 
On 2006-11-10, Simon L <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

>
> mmm maybe. Bit hard to to scale it.
>
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

>
> I can't see that its got anything sticking out of it, but maybe.
>
> The holes are round. My lidl tool was two arms on a pivot with allan
> bolts going though the end of each arm, machined down to 3mm or so dia.
>
>
>> You were undoing it the right way, weren't you? (sorry if that appears
>> patronising, but it is worth checking).

>
> No - I hadn't thought of this. Anti-clockwise on the LH crank side was
> the way I had been going, so it would tend to loosen with normal
> pedalling. But there is a lock ring.


They are always anti-clockwise to undo on the LH crank side (left as you
sit on the bike going forwards).

It's the RH one that has a reverse thread on "British" as opposed to
"Italian" BBs (which just have a normal thread on both sides).

This is counter-intuitive if you think of the crank as a spanner, but
apparently it doesn't work like that (I don't understand how it does
work).

NB even if your BB is literally Italian, for example, Campagnolo, it may
still have British threads.
 
Simon L wrote:

> Having been pleased with the quantity of tools in the £16 Lidl tool
> kit, I try not to be too annoyed when they break.
>
> I had to use two of the pressed steel spanners on the crank extractor
> as they were bending out of shape.


I think those two spanners are cone spanners and are supposed to be thin and are not really meant to take much
force.

John B
 
"Simon L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360026105

>
> mmm maybe. Bit hard to to scale it.
>
>> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360009364

>
> I can't see that its got anything sticking out of it, but maybe.
>
> The holes are round. My lidl tool was two arms on a pivot with allan
> bolts going though the end of each arm, machined down to 3mm or so dia.


Um, you orignally posted a link to wiggle saying "Is this an upmarket
version of the same tool?" - except your link pointed to the entire of
wiggle's workshop section. Which tool were you actually looking at?

(thinks) ah - pin spanner? - at a guess the pins broke?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5300002342 ?
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5300002346

If it was the latter one you were looking at, yes, that's probably going to
be stronger.

(the tools I was pointing to were for a completely different style of BB -
there's a ring outside the shell with 6 detents on the circumference. Which
is rather stronger than the pins...).

However it could well be properly stuck. Those pins are only meant for
adjustment - not for providing huge force. It might be cheaper to pay the
LBS to remove it. One LBS who did this for me did it by brazing a lever onto
the stuck bit and turning it that way. (obviously the heat involved will
also help unstick the parts).

Get a shimano BB to replace it when you eventually get the old one out :)

cheers,
clive
 

> I think those two spanners are cone spanners and are supposed to be thin and are not really > meant to take much force.
>


I know I know but putting caveats against all the tools I've broken
makes it look like my fault, when surely it's someone else's.
 
Ben C wrote:
> They are always anti-clockwise to undo on the LH crank side (left as you
> sit on the bike going forwards).
>
> It's the RH one that has a reverse thread on "British" as opposed to
> "Italian" BBs (which just have a normal thread on both sides).
>
> This is counter-intuitive if you think of the crank as a spanner, but
> apparently it doesn't work like that (I don't understand how it does
> work).


If it is the same as pedals then Wikipedia says it is because of
precession:

"Although the pedal turns clockwise in its bearing relative to the
crankarm, the force from the rider's foot presses the bearing against
the crankarm thread at a point which rolls around clockwise, thus
slowly pulling the outside of the bearing anticlockwise because of
friction."

But not in Italy? What about south of the equator?
 
Simon L wrote:

> > I think those two spanners are cone spanners and are supposed to be thin and are not really > meant to take much force.
> >

>
> I know I know but putting caveats against all the tools I've broken
> makes it look like my fault, when surely it's someone else's.


LOL

Splutter. It weren't me, it was im. Honest.

John B
 
"Simon L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>And the funny bottom bracket tool for my hack road bike has
>bent beyond further use instead of undoing the bearing cup.
>
>It's an odd bearing cup - there are six divots in it. I
>believe it should have moved under the pressure it took
>to bend the cheapo tool (I did undo the lock ring).


Sounds like you bought a set of tool-shaped-objects :eek:

--
David Lloyd,
The pub is responsible for my opinions.
 

Similar threads