About Time for Froome!

RideOfHisLife

Aug 11, 2012
Finally chris froome will lead out team SKY in the upcoming tour. Hopefully this will restrain him from leacing to go to BMC which he was considering after his fantastic tour in france

RideOfHisLife said:
Finally chris froome will lead out team SKY in the upcoming tour. Hopefully this will restrain him from leacing to go to BMC which he was considering after his fantastic tour in france
I can't imagine Froome staying on Sky with Wiggins. He's definitely not fond of following Wiggins, and I think Froome would be better served to be on a different team where he'll get more of the proverbial pie for himself.

I am British so am a natural fan of sky ride. But for Froome, this lead role will be a taster for him to see if he likes the idea of leading a team, then he will leave and join cannondale, Movistar or europcar

RideOfHisLife said:
I am British so am a natural fan of sky ride. But for Froome, this lead role will be a taster for him to see if he likes the idea of leading a team, then he will leave and join cannondale, Movistar or europcar
I hope he likes his taste, then, because Froome can do something that Wiggins can't: make racing exciting.

Good point, Froome takes chances, wiggins rides the tour de France for the two time trials and to lead cav to a win on the chans a leze

Originally Posted by alienator .
I hope he likes his taste, then, because Froome can do something that Wiggins can't: make racing exciting.
+1. that he can. but bmc? a bit crowded on top notch riders with g c aspirations even after cuddles shuffles off? wondering if liqui wouldn't be a better chance with their melt off of bona fide g c candidates.

slovakguy said:
+1.  that he can.  but bmc?  a bit crowded on top notch riders with g c aspirations even after cuddles shuffles off?  wondering if liqui wouldn't be a better chance with their melt off of bona fide g c candidates.
You're right about it being crowded at BMC. I don't understand the strategy of those teams that stack themselves with a bunch of great riders with conflicting and overlapping goals. Liquigas could be decent option, but would they be able to help Froome improve his TT skills so that he can become an even stronger GC threat? How would Froome fit in with Nibali? Would he be stuck in the kind of position that Roche is/was at Ag2R? It certainly wouldn't hurt Froome to have a domestique like Basso......nor would it hurt him to have the opportunity to act out "domestique" fantasies with Elisa Basso?

nibali is gone to astana as their top g c man, which results in kreuziger being odd man out. as for tt: if elisa is going to help in motor pacing, i'd be trying to vault into the auto. wow. but that is a poser. liqui really don't seem to have much of a clue on tt'ing, just leaving it mostly to chance. i can see a need to shake up the staff with a coach that has credentials and expertise in that discipline.

Yes, it is about time for Froome.
It's time to show his potential in leading role.
Vuelta is perfect race to do so.
He's had almost perfect Tour. He's spent and tired a bit (both mentally and physically), there's Contador, and there's pressure of leading role. Perfect situation to show he's trustworthy and to raise his stocks.
If he shows he can follow Contador, or (even better) beat him, Sky simply has to give him green light in 2013 Tour. Otherwise, if Sky refuses to do so, he'll have plenty of offers.
I think Garmin is very interesting team.

sky can't give froome the leadership role when wiggins has to pin on the the number one regardless how froome does in the vuelta. as soon as wiggins hits the road with that number he has to defend to the best of his abilities as hinault did against lemond.

I guess I'll be the one to buck the trend here and say that Froome would be pretty darned stupid to leave Team Sky. If there's a more mountainous route in next years Tour then Froome will likely get the nod. Brailsford doesn't play the favorites card - just take a look at Hoy/Kenny in the sprint at the Olympics where Brailsford quite rightly it would seem chose the younger lad over the poster guy of British track cycling.

If they continue to improve as they had then Sky will be genuinely in a position to give even an in form Contador a run for his money but if Froome leaves then Bertie will chew him up and spit him out. This years Tour suited Wiggins but I don't see a route like this being done again in the near future - despite liking the fact that it hinted towards getting more TT miles back in the Tour a la the late 80's and early 90's when 80km TT's weren't unheard of...

I too think that Froome might be free to ride for himself in 2013 Tour.
More mountainous route is certain, and he could be freed of nursing duties. Sky could enter the race with open approach. See how first couple of stages go, where the guys are in the mountains, and then decide who'll get support.
There's a lot of time till next Tour. Anything can happen during spring.
But for now, Vuelta is the race where he could lay foundations of his freedom.
Somehow, I have impression even Froome isn't sure yet he can lead the team in the biggest race. That's why I think Vuelta is important for him. Especially Vuelta with Contador.
His ambitions and self confidence will determine his destiny.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I guess I'll be the one to buck the trend here and say that Froome would be pretty darned stupid to leave Team Sky. If there's a more mountainous route in next years Tour then Froome will likely get the nod. Brailsford doesn't play the favorites card - just take a look at Hoy/Kenny in the sprint at the Olympics where Brailsford quite rightly it would seem chose the younger lad over the poster guy of British track cycling.

If they continue to improve as they had then Sky will be genuinely in a position to give even an in form Contador a run for his money but if Froome leaves then Bertie will chew him up and spit him out. This years Tour suited Wiggins but I don't see a route like this being done again in the near future - despite liking the fact that it hinted towards getting more TT miles back in the Tour a la the late 80's and early 90's when 80km TT's weren't unheard of...

This is an interesting point.

The 2013 TDF route is bound to contain more climbing than the 2012 version one would think.

what an stong and bold move by froome today. sending a message to el pistolero that even with a tough year of riding in his legs, he's not wilting in the face of the challenge? have to say with that display on the run in to the finish this should have been his tdf and not wiggins.

Froome looked buggered at the end of stage 8 at Andorra.

He was made to work far harder in the chance than he probably would have preferred to have done.

SKY tried to burn away their opposition on that stage cycling at an average speed 46kmph on what was a stage that went up hill all the way from Lleida to Andorra/img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

The last week of this race looks to be a ballbreaker. It will be interesting to see if KY can maintain the same tactic throughout that week.