About to get a fairing...are you happy with yours?

Pat

Guest
Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.

Pat

Pat wrote:
> Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
> appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
> in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
> windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.

The front fairing [1] will make the bicycle more crosswind sensitive
[2], but this can be corrected with the use of a bodysock [3]. Although
this is counterintuitive, it has been confirmed by riders of LWB bikes
with bodysock (SWB bikes may be a different matter).

You should not listen to the advice of people who live in Florida and
have never ridden a LWB recumbent with a bodysock, but insist their
intuition is more valid than real world experience.

The bodysock will also work as a steering damper and will quite the
fairing somewhat (but the bike will be noisier than when completely
unfaired).

[1] The ones sold by Mueller Human Power [4] and ZZip Designs [5] are
NOT full fairings. A full fairing bike is also known as a streamliner.
[6]
[2] However, with a strong wind from the rear quarter, you can "sail"
along in the mid-teens (mph) without pedaling (on flat ground).
[3] Example at <http://www.mueller-hp.com/v2sock/sidewithrider6.jpg>.
[4] <http://www.mueller-hp.com/>.
[5] <http://www.zzipper.com/>.
[6] Some examples at
<http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2004/pictures.htm>.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels

Pat,

There are three good reasons to get a fairing.
1. If it's windy get a fairing!
2. If it's cold get a fairing!
3. If you want to go as fast as possible get a fairing!

Over the years I have aquired four fairings; one new, one almost new,
one used, and one well used. Except for the new fairing the rest were
purchased quite cheap.

It's not that windy here and I could care less about maximum speed, so
I use the fairing because it's cold. I also have two bodysocks that I
have purchased used. Along with the fairing, the bodysock keeps me
toasty in the Minnesota winters. I commute 7.4 miles each way.
However, when the temps get below 10 degrees I wimp out and drive my
CRV.

If it's windy where you live, you definately will benefit from a
fairing!

Enjoy,

Perry Butler

Pat wrote:
> Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
> appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
> in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
> windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.
>
> Pat

If you want a really quiet fairing check out this thread:
<http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.phps=66cef3dff18155636a63aff89703eb5c&threadid=1815>

Enjoy,

Perry B

[email protected] wrote:
> Pat,
>
> There are three good reasons to get a fairing.
> 1. If it's windy get a fairing!
> 2. If it's cold get a fairing!
> 3. If you want to go as fast as possible get a fairing!
>
> Over the years I have aquired four fairings; one new, one almost new,
> one used, and one well used. Except for the new fairing the rest were
> purchased quite cheap.
>
> It's not that windy here and I could care less about maximum speed, so
> I use the fairing because it's cold. I also have two bodysocks that I
> have purchased used. Along with the fairing, the bodysock keeps me
> toasty in the Minnesota winters. I commute 7.4 miles each way.
> However, when the temps get below 10 degrees I wimp out and drive my
> CRV.
>
> If it's windy where you live, you definately will benefit from a
> fairing!
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Perry Butler
>

> Pat wrote:
> > Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
> > appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
> > in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
> > windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.
> >
> > Pat

Don't know what happened to the link but I'll try to post it once
again:

[email protected] wrote:
> If you want a really quiet fairing check out this thread:
> <http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.phps=66cef3dff18155636a63aff89703eb5c&threadid=1815>
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Perry B
>

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Pat,
> >
> > There are three good reasons to get a fairing.
> > 1. If it's windy get a fairing!
> > 2. If it's cold get a fairing!
> > 3. If you want to go as fast as possible get a fairing!
> >
> > Over the years I have aquired four fairings; one new, one almost new,
> > one used, and one well used. Except for the new fairing the rest were
> > purchased quite cheap.
> >
> > It's not that windy here and I could care less about maximum speed, so
> > I use the fairing because it's cold. I also have two bodysocks that I
> > have purchased used. Along with the fairing, the bodysock keeps me
> > toasty in the Minnesota winters. I commute 7.4 miles each way.
> > However, when the temps get below 10 degrees I wimp out and drive my
> > CRV.
> >
> > If it's windy where you live, you definately will benefit from a
> > fairing!
> >
> > Enjoy,
> >
> > Perry Butler
> >

> > Pat wrote:
> > > Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
> > > appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
> > > in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
> > > windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.
> > >
> > > Pat

I have a CLWB and I love the Zzipper fairing. It's great in a head wind
and pretty good in a tail wind (like a sail). It helps some in the cold
but is not especially hot in the summer. I don't notice any negative
handling effects from cross winds.

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:20:14 -0600, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Getting ready to spring for a full fairing for my Cycle Genius. Would
>appreciate people who have fairings on their LWB recumbents letting me know
>in advance if this is a mistake...an expensive mistake! It is so danged
>windy here in Texas that I think I would be happy at least half of the time.
>
>Pat

I have a fairing on my Tour Easy (although no body sock) and like it.

A Lot.

It doesn't feel right to ride the TE without it. In a light rain only
my face gets wet. In a heavy rain I slip on my bike rain cape, wich
has loops for the brake handles & more loops in back I bungee to my
basket and unless it is really blowing intensly sidewise I stay almost
completely dry. Excepting, agian, my face. My computor & headlamps are
protected as well.

The one time I took the fairing off it seemed the cross wind was more
a problem than with the fairing, YMMV.

Realy takes advantage of a tail wind, seems better in a head wind, and
feels stable to me in a cross wind. I don't think there is much of a
speed advantage until you get 20 mph or so, lots of downhills are
faster faired.

But for slow old me the main advantage is dealing with weather.

Indiana Mike