About to spend money... can anyone talk me into a Bianchi SASS and skip the Mono Cog?



L

Lobo Tommy

Guest
I have narrowed down the bike selection to two bikes. Either
a Redline Mono Cog or Bianchi SASS. Now, I can't afford the
SASS right now but in a couple of weeks I will be able to. I
need to know however if the SASS is really worth the extra
$450 premium over the Mono Cog.

Here is a review of me:

30 yo, 280 lbs, goal of riding: weight loss/fitness. Primary
places to ride: Bike Paths / Parks

If anyone can jump in let me know. My past googling suggests
that Redline bicycles are very unreliable. However I have
only found that these ideas are restricted to a couple of
posts. These posts were back in 2002 so I don't know how Red
Line stacks up in 2004.

Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could I
spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to make
the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
25 Mar 2004 14:05:47 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

>Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could
>I spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to
>make the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

The Bianchi comes in sizes other than S, M or L. It would
cost at least $450 just to add disc brakes and chrome the
Redline. The Kona "Unit" comes ready for a front disc if you
want to switch over later, but I'd not spend that much on a
SS bike.(~$800 US)
--
zk
 
B

Bill Wheeler

Guest
On 25 Mar 2004 14:05:47 -0800, [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:

>I have narrowed down the bike selection to two bikes.
>Either a Redline Mono Cog or Bianchi SASS. Now, I can't
>afford the SASS right now but in a couple of weeks I will
>be able to. I need to know however if the SASS is really
>worth the extra $450 premium over the Mono Cog.
>
>Here is a review of me:
>
>30 yo, 280 lbs, goal of riding: weight loss/fitness.
>Primary places to ride: Bike Paths / Parks
>
>If anyone can jump in let me know. My past googling
>suggests that Redline bicycles are very unreliable. However
>I have only found that these ideas are restricted to a
>couple of posts. These posts were back in 2002 so I don't
>know how Red Line stacks up in 2004.
>
>Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could
>I spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to
>make the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

Bianchi, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]
 

Jimbo(san)

New Member
Jul 24, 2003
302
0
0
Originally posted by Lobo Tommy
I have narrowed down the bike selection to two bikes. Either
a Redline Mono Cog or Bianchi SASS. Now, I can't afford the
SASS right now but in a couple of weeks I will be able to. I
need to know however if the SASS is really worth the extra
$450 premium over the Mono Cog.

Here is a review of me:

30 yo, 280 lbs, goal of riding: weight loss/fitness. Primary
places to ride: Bike Paths / Parks

If anyone can jump in let me know. My past googling suggests
that Redline bicycles are very unreliable. However I have
only found that these ideas are restricted to a couple of
posts. These posts were back in 2002 so I don't know how Red
Line stacks up in 2004.

Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could I
spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to make
the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

Me and the missus each have a SASS... I would reccomend it highly...

Have heard a few complaints about the Redline's seatpost sizing...

Disks, decently spec'ed... I give it an around the world and back snap!!!


Jimbo(san)
 
S

Supabonbon

Guest
[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have narrowed down the bike selection to two bikes.
> Either a Redline Mono Cog or Bianchi SASS. Now, I can't
> afford the SASS right now but in a couple of weeks I will
> be able to. I need to know however if the SASS is really
> worth the extra $450 premium over the Mono Cog.
>
> Here is a review of me:
>
> 30 yo, 280 lbs, goal of riding: weight loss/fitness.
> Primary places to ride: Bike Paths / Parks
>
> If anyone can jump in let me know. My past googling
> suggests that Redline bicycles are very unreliable.
> However I have only found that these ideas are restricted
> to a couple of posts. These posts were back in 2002 so I
> don't know how Red Line stacks up in 2004.
>
> Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could
> I spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to
> make the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

The Bianchi is shinier.

/s
 
C

Carla A-G

Guest
"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 25 Mar 2004 14:05:47 -0800,
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:
>
> >Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today -
> >Could I spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850
> >SASS) to make the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

SASS is good value for the money. Well built quality
frameset and quality components. The Monocogue is a cheap
frameset with cheap components. The SASS will last much
longer than the Monocogue over the long-term.

> The Bianchi comes in sizes other than S, M or L. It would
> cost at least $450 just to add disc brakes and chrome the
> Redline. The Kona "Unit" comes ready for a front disc if
> you want to switch over later, but I'd not spend that much
> on a SS bike.(~$800 US)

The Unit flexes like a wet noodle and comes with cheap Kona
components, crappy wheels and v-brakes.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
 
C

Carla A-G

Guest
"Lobo Tommy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have narrowed down the bike selection to two bikes.
> Either a Redline Mono Cog or Bianchi SASS. Now, I can't
> afford the SASS right now but in a couple of weeks I will
> be able to. I need to know however if the SASS is really
> worth the extra $450 premium over the Mono Cog.

Yes. It is. Read all my RR's and you will know how I feel
about my SASS.

> Here is a review of me:
>
> 30 yo, 280 lbs, goal of riding: weight loss/fitness.
> Primary places to ride: Bike Paths / Parks
>
> If anyone can jump in let me know. My past googling
> suggests that Redline bicycles are very unreliable.
> However I have only found that these ideas are restricted
> to a couple of posts. These posts were back in 2002 so I
> don't know how Red Line stacks up in 2004.
>
> Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could
> I spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to
> make the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

Get the SASS, avoid the headaches, get the quality.

Here is mine:

http://community.webshots.com/album/95608794EWuBZS

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:26:26 -0500, <[email protected]>,
"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> shilled:

>
>The Unit flexes like a wet noodle and comes with cheap Kona
>components, crappy wheels and v-brakes.

Your bike's frame, according to your other web postings,
was custom made. So, I don't believe you're able to
accurately nor objectively compare the two bikes. Seems to
me that somebody who can acquire a custom made Bianchi has
a dog in the race.

Tell me how you got a custom built Bianchi for your
stubby self?
--
zk
 
J

Jd

Guest
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:26:26 -0500,
> <[email protected]>, "Carla A-G"
> <[email protected]> shilled:
>
> >
> >The Unit flexes like a wet noodle and comes with cheap
> >Kona components, crappy wheels and v-brakes.
>
> Your bike's frame, according to your other web postings,
> was custom made. So, I don't believe you're able to
> accurately nor objectively compare the two bikes. Seems to
> me that somebody who can acquire a custom made Bianchi has
> a dog in the race.
>
> Tell me how you got a custom built Bianchi for your
> stubby self?

Why would she tell a know-nothing roadie who spends more
time on the internet than a bicycle?

JD
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
27 Mar 2004 10:16:48 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (JD) tried hard:

>> Tell me how you got a custom built Bianchi for your
>> stubby self?
>
>Why would she tell a know-nothing roadie who spends more
>time on the internet than a bicycle?

Why not? She apparently likes to boast and has an interest
in selling Bianchis.
--
zk
 
M

MTBScottie

Guest
[email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have narrowed down the bike selection to two bikes.
> Either a Redline Mono Cog or Bianchi SASS. Now, I can't
> afford the SASS right now but in a couple of weeks I will
> be able to. I need to know however if the SASS is really
> worth the extra $450 premium over the Mono Cog.
>
> Here is a review of me:
>
> 30 yo, 280 lbs, goal of riding: weight loss/fitness.
> Primary places to ride: Bike Paths / Parks
>
> If anyone can jump in let me know. My past googling
> suggests that Redline bicycles are very unreliable.
> However I have only found that these ideas are restricted
> to a couple of posts. These posts were back in 2002 so I
> don't know how Red Line stacks up in 2004.
>
> Assuming the Red Line Mono Cog are well made today - Could
> I spend that saved $450 ($400 Mono Cog vs. $850 SASS) to
> make the Mono Cog better than a stock SASS?

If you are only planning on riding in parks and city paths,
I see no reason why the Monocog would not suit you well. I
was considering a 2004 SASS myself, and had emailed Carla
about her bike. Someone pointed out these reveiws to me on
the 2003 SISS, and thought you may find this interesting....

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/2003_hardtail/product_12-
1459.shtml

Many of these reviews speak of broken/cracked frames, which
in my mind is pretty poor considering it is a steel frame.
There were some seatpost slippage problems on the Monocog,
but I have a 2003 and have had no problems with mine at all.

I never thought I'd have a problem finding a quality single
speed in the 800 dollar range, but fact is, to have one
built up other then a Redline Monocog, KHS Solo One, Kona
Unit, or Bianchi SASS, you are looking at well over a
thousand dollars. I understand the price of a good quality
frame, but when you consider the simplicity of a single
speed, even with just v brakes, and considering the cost, it
almost doesn't add up to me.

I hope you have good luck with the SASS if you get one.
 
J

Jd

Guest
Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> 27 Mar 2004 10:16:48 -0800,
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (JD) tried hard (HA):
>
> >> Tell me how you got a custom built Bianchi for your
> >> stubby self?
> >
> >Why would she tell a know-nothing roadie who spends more
> >time on the internet than a bicycle?
>
> Why not? She apparently likes to boast and has an interest
> in selling Bianchis.

At least she's not selling santa crud.

JD
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
27 Mar 2004 15:07:08 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (JD) squirmed:

>At least she's not selling santa crud.

Well, of course not. It's not a bike. It's a two wheeled
pogo stick. Nobody buys them except to decorate the back of
their SUV.
--
zk
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
27 Mar 2004 12:44:37 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote, in part:

>I never thought I'd have a problem finding a quality single
>speed in the 800 dollar range, but fact is, to have one
>built up other then a Redline Monocog, KHS Solo One, Kona
>Unit, or Bianchi SASS, you are looking at well over a
>thousand dollars. I understand the price of a good quality
>frame, but when you consider the simplicity of a single
>speed, even with just v brakes, and considering the cost,
>it almost doesn't add up to me.

And how does the price of an even more simple golf club,
pool cue, snow board or plastic boat add up?

Manufacturers are tapping into what's happening on the
street. Glamorising bike couriers made fixed gear and single
speed bikes popular. Bike freaks had been banging out their
own for years. Balloon tire cruiser replicas got cool when
yuppies started buying up the remaining antiques. StingRay
style bikes were hip with the arts grrlz about five years
ago, now Schwine has reintroduced them. Choppers appear to
be going mainstream.

They'll remain niche markets and able to charge whatever
they want. But you're able to buy a full suspension bike at
the drug store.
--
zk
 
Z

Zoot Katz

Guest
28 Mar 2004 10:26:20 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] (JD) nailed it:

>Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> But you're able to buy a full suspension bike at the
>> drug store.
>
>I beg to differ. Those are bike shaped toys.
>
You're right , though for less than $200 you can buy one and
some Bianchi decals. After it's dipped in mud and hanging
off the back of your SUV for a week, who's going to know?

You get the same effect while saving up for a real bike you
can actually ride *to* somewhere.
--
zk
 

Similar threads