Abs!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by goodq, Sep 6, 2004.

1. goodq

goodq New Member

My doctor tolled me not to do any ab intensive workouts. Since then I stopped riding my bike. I was wondering if cyclists use abs for something other than stability. If you are off the saddle does that intensify? How does the use of your abs on a bike compare to crunches? Thanks.

Tags:

2. Smartt/RST

Smartt/RST New Member

The answer to your question depends entirely on how you approach your cycling. For the aggressive and/or racing cyclist, a strong core can be an asset, and a weak one a liability. For a recreational cyclist, the strength of the core may never be particularly challenged.
    As you noted, in most cycling situations, the core is simply providing stability in a low intensity/high endurance manner. The pain/discomfort most people feel in their core (namely the low back) is due to extended periods of cycling with a less than optimal position, but not from any one "high intensity repetition" (such as you may experience during strength training).
    The one time the core does contract in a high intensity manner is when sprinting out of the saddle (assuming you are sprinting correctly); and of course, this can be easily avoided.
    Hope this helps.

3. goodq

goodq New Member

Michael Smartt:
    Thanks for the reply. Now I can bike at ease :)
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH.