abs

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Frank, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    I recently lost over 100lbs and have added weight training for about 3
    months now and am seeing incredible results. My question is that I
    still have a gut and would like to do ab exercises but a few people
    have told me to stay away from ab exercises until i lose all the weight
    i need too. They said that my gut will get hard but stay big if i do
    abs now. is this true or can i start working on abs?

    Tags:

  2. Franky

    Franky Guest

    On 21 Nov 2005 06:54:51 -0800, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > is this true or can i start working on abs?

    Do you always that advice from morons? Start your stomach crunches, do
    them daily to exhaustion.

  3. "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I recently lost over 100lbs and have added weight training for about 3
    > months now and am seeing incredible results. My question is that I
    > still have a gut and would like to do ab exercises but a few people
    > have told me to stay away from ab exercises until i lose all the
    > weight
    > i need too. They said that my gut will get hard but stay big if i do
    > abs now.

    > is this true

    No.

    > or can i start working on abs?

    Yes.

    Congratulations on your progress and best wishes for continued success.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. Bully

    Bully Guest

    Franky wrote:
    > On 21 Nov 2005 06:54:51 -0800, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> is this true or can i start working on abs?

    > Do you always that advice from morons? Start your stomach crunches, do
    > them daily to exhaustion.

    Would that be once daily? Why not three times daily for maximum effect?

    --
    Bully

    matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

  5. JMW

    JMW Guest

    Franky wrote:
    > On 21 Nov 2005 06:54:51 -0800, "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > is this true or can i start working on abs?

    > Do you always that advice from morons? Start your stomach crunches, do
    > them daily to exhaustion.

    Why would he need to do them daily?
    Why would he need to do dozens of reps to exhaustion instead of adding
    weight?

    Stick to trolling and cardio bunny advice, Bill.

  6. Franky

    Franky Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:17:20 -0000, "Bully"
    <[email protected]_btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Would that be once daily? Why not three times daily for maximum effect?

    Well for me once daily is enough, but I guess since you want to work
    them to exhaustion more maybe better. I wouldn't simply because of the
    stress it puts on my lower back. But I have back problems already, so
    YMMV.

  7. Franky

    Franky Guest

    On 21 Nov 2005 08:02:55 -0800, "JMW" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why would he need to do them daily?

    Letting them rest a day will only increase there size.
    >Why would he need to do dozens of reps to exhaustion instead of adding
    >weight?

    Adding weights will make them bigger and stronger.

    To poster: Now you have an example of advice from a moron. JMW is the
    biggest one here.

  8. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > I recently lost over 100lbs and have added weight training for about 3
    > months now and am seeing incredible results. My question is that I
    > still have a gut and would like to do ab exercises but a few people
    > have told me to stay away from ab exercises until i lose all the weight
    > i need too. They said that my gut will get hard but stay big if i do
    > abs now. is this true or can i start working on abs?

    Whoever 'they' are, they're morons. In order to lose your 'gut', you
    need to lose fat. No amount of crunches or other ab work will help you
    lose the gut. You must lose fat systemically: spot reduction is a myth.
    Doing ab exercises will help improve your strength, fitness, and help
    injury proof your lower back, so there are good reasons to do them. Fat
    loss is not one of them.

    Cheers,

    Ari

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Franky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:17:20 -0000, "Bully"
    > <[email protected]_btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Would that be once daily? Why not three times daily for maximum effect?

    > Well for me once daily is enough, but I guess since you want to work
    > them to exhaustion more maybe better. I wouldn't simply because of the
    > stress it puts on my lower back. But I have back problems already, so
    > YMMV.

    Work your abs right and you BENEFIT, not hurt your back.

    Cheers!
    --
    Om.

  10. Franky

    Franky Guest

    Another moron writes:
    On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:20:38 +0800, spodosaurus
    <[email protected]_yahoo_.com> wrote:

    >Whoever 'they' are, they're morons. In order to lose your 'gut', you
    >need to lose fat. No amount of crunches or other ab work will help you
    >lose the gut.

    Pure bullshit. Without stomach crunches my waist is 37", with crunches
    34". This is staying at the exact same weight. You do the math.

  11. Franky

    Franky Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:22:20 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Work your abs right and you BENEFIT, not hurt your back.

    Duhhh. I do "do" them right. I have back problems that are so bad if I
    listed them you'd cry for me, then send me money. I was supposed to be
    in a wheelchair 8 years ago, I'm not.

  12. Bully

    Bully Guest

    Franky wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:17:20 -0000, "Bully"
    > <[email protected]_btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Would that be once daily? Why not three times daily for maximum
    >> effect?

    > Well for me once daily is enough, but I guess since you want to work
    > them to exhaustion more maybe better. I wouldn't simply because of the
    > stress it puts on my lower back. But I have back problems already, so
    > YMMV.

    Are you a troll? I've seen in another post on this thread that someone says
    you are! Should I take your advice or not?

    --
    Bully

    matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

  13. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Bully wrote:
    > Franky wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:17:20 -0000, "Bully"
    >><[email protected]_btinternet.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Would that be once daily? Why not three times daily for maximum
    >>>effect?

    >>Well for me once daily is enough, but I guess since you want to work
    >>them to exhaustion more maybe better. I wouldn't simply because of the
    >>stress it puts on my lower back. But I have back problems already, so
    >>YMMV.

    > Are you a troll? I've seen in another post on this thread that someone says
    > you are! Should I take your advice or not?

    He changes his handle here every couple of days. You should not take
    anything he says as being at all reliable.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    Franky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:22:20 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Work your abs right and you BENEFIT, not hurt your back.

    > Duhhh. I do "do" them right. I have back problems that are so bad if I
    > listed them you'd cry for me, then send me money. I was supposed to be
    > in a wheelchair 8 years ago, I'm not.

    Then quit whining and keep up the good work. ;-)
    --
    Om.

  15. Bully

    Bully Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Bully wrote:
    >> Franky wrote:

    >>> Well for me once daily is enough, but I guess since you want to work
    >>> them to exhaustion more maybe better. I wouldn't simply because of
    >>> the stress it puts on my lower back. But I have back problems
    >>> already, so YMMV.

    >> Are you a troll? I've seen in another post on this thread that
    >> someone says you are! Should I take your advice or not?
    >>

    > He changes his handle here every couple of days. You should not take
    > anything he says as being at all reliable.

    Yeah, I knew full well he was a troll, I was just trying to bait him
    further; to see how imaginative he could be!

    --
    Bully
    Supps: http://www.myprotein.co.uk - 5% off with my discount code MP4858

    matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

  16. Bully

    Bully Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Bully wrote:
    >> Franky wrote:

    >>> Well for me once daily is enough, but I guess since you want to work
    >>> them to exhaustion more maybe better. I wouldn't simply because of
    >>> the stress it puts on my lower back. But I have back problems
    >>> already, so YMMV.

    >> Are you a troll? I've seen in another post on this thread that
    >> someone says you are! Should I take your advice or not?
    >>

    > He changes his handle here every couple of days. You should not take
    > anything he says as being at all reliable.

    Yeah, I knew full well he was a troll, I was just trying to bait him
    further; to see how imaginative he could be!

    --
    Bully
    Supps: http://www.myprotein.co.uk - 5% off with my discount code MP4858

    matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

  17. spodosaurus

    spodosaurus Guest

    Bully wrote:
    > spodosaurus wrote:
    >
    >>Bully wrote:

    >>>Are you a troll? I've seen in another post on this thread that
    >>>someone says you are! Should I take your advice or not?
    >>>

    >>He changes his handle here every couple of days. You should not take
    >>anything he says as being at all reliable.

    > Yeah, I knew full well he was a troll, I was just trying to bait him
    > further; to see how imaginative he could be!

    LOL, don't waste your effort, his imagination only extends to what he
    can immitate after seeing others using in online.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    Frank <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I recently lost over 100lbs and have added weight training for about 3
    >months now and am seeing incredible results. My question is that I
    >still have a gut and would like to do ab exercises but a few people
    >have told me to stay away from ab exercises until i lose all the weight
    >i need too. They said that my gut will get hard but stay big if i do
    >abs now. is this true or can i start working on abs?

    You can start working on abs.

    If you exercise them, they'll get stronger (and maybe a little
    bigger).

    If you lose fat your gut will get smaller.

    Those effects are pretty much independent.

    Seth
    --
    Who cares? Shut up and lift. -- Watson (the pencil neck) Davis

  19. Franky

    Franky Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:50:56 -0000, "Bully"
    <[email protected]_btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Are you a troll? I've seen in another post on this thread that someone says
    >you are! Should I take your advice or not?

    I do troll, but I also throw out good advice on occasion too. My
    advice is solid, although the only other advice I heard was do it
    several times a day, which may or may not be good advice. I do it once
    because my back can only take that much, and because that's all I need
    to get a flat stomach.

  20. Franky

    Franky Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:54:58 GMT, "John"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > because you think we're all stupid

    No, I KNOW you're all stupid.