Absolute beginner needs some help

smpmbe

Jan 4, 2006
hello everybody

I'm totally new to cycling and this forum. I hope someone can help me with my question.

I started cycling a month ago because me and some friends are going to climb the Mont-Ventoux (3th - 10th June) in France (I'm from Belgium).

My training so far constituted of 3 days a week, 30 minutes at 60/70 % of max heartrate (I'm 27 years old, according to my Polar my max heartrate is 183). I'm trying to do 10% more every week.

I just bought a book by Chris Carmichael and for a beginner his advice is 6 times a week with different types of training.

I don't know what to do anymore, maybe someone here can give me some advice?

You are in Belgium and ask a newbie question? Man dude, just knock on the door of any neighbor and you'll get tons of info. Just playing with you, but seriously, you are in the mecca of bike racing.
:rolleyes:

Now go ride as much as you feel like and worry about HR stuff after your first year. First get used to groups, traffic, bike handling, etc.

smpmbe said:
My training so far constituted of 3 days a week, 30 minutes at 60/70 % of max heartrate (I'm 27 years old, according to my Polar my max heartrate is 183). I'm trying to do 10% more every week.

I just bought a book by Chris Carmichael and for a beginner his advice is 6 times a week with different types of training.

I don't know what to do anymore, maybe someone here can give me some advice?
First, understand that that book wasn't written for you personally. When you read the advice given, you need to consider how to best apply it to your capabilities and limitations. If you're able to ride 6x per week, great. If 3 is all you can manage, then work within that.

Your starting approach is a good one for beginners: "Start easy and build up slowly." If you find that you can add another ride or two per week over time without your body protesting too much, then give it a try. When you work up to being able to do the workouts that Carmichael recommends, then you can start into his program or deviate from it as you see fit.

One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is getting overenthusiastic or overambitious eventually leading to overwhelmed and overtrained.

Take it easy, make it a fun activity, something that will make you keep going back to it for a longer period of time and get into the complications and technicalities after a while(say 6-9 months). Nothing wrong with reading and gathering knowledge though.
Have rides with rewards, like getting to the lake and being able to enjoy the fresh air. Or ride down to the boulevard to eye pretty girls :)

I'd also throw in some work on your abs and lower back to help solidify your core muscles. Doing a few sets of back extensions and situps every week, plus some stretching / yoga did wonders for me when I first started out a couple of years ago.