Abt interview with Armstrong

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  2. Ctrdy01

    Ctrdy01 Guest

    Good for him. Don't think he's got anything left to prove in the Tour and he won't ever be able to
    make up the time away from his kids... sounds like the guy might be wising up... it might actually
    help him to take some of the pressure off... could be a good thing.

    - Chris - http://www.customgetaways.com Sport Vacations (Multisport, Cycling,
    Marathons, etc...)

  3. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > http://www.iht.com/articles/121331.html

    "He had been in Paris for two days with his companion, the singer Sheryl Crow, who gave a concert
    there and one in Brussels on Friday. She was with him on the train.

    'If you choose to have a friendship, a relationship with somebody famous,' he said later, 'you lose
    some privacy, but that's a choice you make. I don't intend to be a recluse.'"

    "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
    a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
    them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
    could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
    instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  4. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:13:39 -0700, Raptor wrote:
    > Robert Chung wrote:
    >> http://www.iht.com/articles/121331.html
    >
    > "He had been in Paris for two days with his companion, the singer Sheryl Crow, who gave a concert
    > there and one in Brussels on Friday. She was with him on the train.
    >
    > 'If you choose to have a friendship, a relationship with somebody famous,' he said later, 'you
    > lose some privacy, but that's a choice you make. I don't intend to be a recluse.'"

    And then I read on Belgian teletext that she even attended the press conference, more or less hidden
    in the back of the room. He was at the concert. She says he's "a fan".

  5. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:49:33 +0100, I wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:13:39 -0700, Raptor wrote:
    >> Robert Chung wrote:
    >>> http://www.iht.com/articles/121331.html
    >>
    >> "He had been in Paris for two days with his companion, the singer Sheryl Crow, who gave a concert
    >> there and one in Brussels on Friday. She was with him on the train.
    >>
    >> 'If you choose to have a friendship, a relationship with somebody famous,' he said later, 'you
    >> lose some privacy, but that's a choice you make. I don't intend to be a recluse.'"
    >
    > And then I read on Belgian teletext that she even attended the press conference, more or less
    > hidden in the back of the room. He was at the concert. She says he's "a fan".

    Some links: http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4804 (wow, that's old already, hadn't
    seen it (because I never visit the site)) http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/Columnists.nsf/Deb+-
    Peterson/AF1BCB648264049C86256DFA0019058C?OpenDocument&Headline=Would+you+take+Bill+Haas'+advice+on-
    +dating%3F+RFT+eyes+publishing+it

  6. Ss29mtb

    Ss29mtb Guest

    sheryl crow = lose the tour

    why would he choose a chain smoking skank?

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  8. Matabala

    Matabala Guest

    A bit of complicity between LA and Apt no doubt in "officially" bringing the personal stuff into
    the public domain. The two must know each other reasonably well by now. Too much Apt acting as
    press agent.

    "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Robert Chung wrote:
    > > http://www.iht.com/articles/121331.html
    >

    > "He had been in Paris for two days with his companion, the singer Sheryl Crow, who gave a concert
    > there and one in Brussels on Friday. She was with him on the train.
    >
    > 'If you choose to have a friendship, a relationship with somebody famous,' he said later, 'you
    > lose some privacy, but that's a choice you make. I don't intend to be a recluse.'"

    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning
    > young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight
    > in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world
    > into ever greater instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

  9. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "SS29MTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > sheryl crow = lose the tour
    >
    > why would he choose a chain smoking skank?

    Does she smoke? Didn't know that. I know she's a runner, though.

  10. Lances decision to train in the US could be the potential chink that Jan is waiting for. Lances
    decision to race less in the spring season could really hurt his potential to win a sixth tdf. It
    will be very interesting to see what Lances spring form is.......???

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.iht.com/articles/121331.html
    >
    > I think that he could get enough training by flying up to Colorado and putting the hurt on him in
    > the really big mountains. There isn't anything like the Rockies in Europe.
    >
    > Time for the guys that are pissed off at him to lend a hand. Bring in Kevin and Vaughters

  11. There is a picture of her smoking in Vanity Fair magazine, Jun. '03,

    Remember however in Lance's first book he points out after his wedding that he and his wife enjoyed
    smoking cigars so he may not be opposed to smoking. I would be relatively certain he doesn't do it
    on a frequent basis and my understanding is Sheryl Crow has become somewhat of a fitness freak, so
    she may have moderated her smoking.

    p. 138On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:09:31 GMT, "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"SS29MTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> sheryl crow = lose the tour
    >>
    >> why would he choose a chain smoking skank?
    >
    >Does she smoke? Didn't know that. I know she's a runner, though.

  12. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Lances decision to train in the US could be the potential chink
    that
    > Jan is waiting for. Lances decision to race less in the spring
    season
    > could really hurt his potential to win a sixth tdf. It will be very interesting to see what Lances
    > spring form is.......???

    Personally I think that he could get in much better shape here in the BIG mountains. None of those
    puny little Alps for us. Rocky Mountains or nothing sucker!

    But I think that you're right. Not racing in Europe is asking to lose.

  13. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    It could work. He has the time and space to set his own rythm.

    And well *ducks for oncoming projectiles* as we all know Aerica has a great tradition of dope-testing it's greatest ones preparations.... As in: we don't or we will at least keep quiet.

    I am actually convinced this is how a lot of great athletes return after injury/mishap. You have all the time to preparate your body.

    Erik Dekker became a hotshot after a year suspension, Ulrich came back fit as ever... there are more examples, also from other sports.

  14. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Lances decision to train in the US could be the potential chink
    > that
    > > Jan is waiting for. Lances decision to race less in the spring
    > season
    > > could really hurt his potential to win a sixth tdf. It will be very interesting to see what
    > > Lances spring form is.......???
    >
    > Personally I think that he could get in much better shape here in the BIG mountains. None of those
    > puny little Alps for us. Rocky Mountains or nothing sucker!
    >
    > But I think that you're right. Not racing in Europe is asking to lose.

    I recall seeing a website that listed many of the toughest climbs, w/ rankings, etc... Surely
    someone else on the group knows where it is.

    Anyway, as I recall, the climbs in Colorado didn't rate all that highly. Seems that most of the
    paved roads just aren't that steep. The main thing making them tough is that they are at a greater
    altitude than the typical climb in Europe.

    If Armstrong comes to the Rockies to climb, won't he be violating the concept of train low,
    live high???

    S.

  15. Tuschinski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<pniEb.16461$%[email protected]>...
    > Tom Kunich wrote:
    > > Personally I think that he could get in much better shape here in the BIG mountains. None of
    > > those puny little Alps for us. Rocky Mountains or nothing sucker! But I think that you're
    > > right. Not racing in Europe is asking to lose.
    >

    > It could work. He has the time and space to set his own rythm.
    >
    > And well *ducks for oncoming projectiles* as we all know Aerica has a great tradition of dope-
    > testing it's greatest ones preparations.... As in: we don't or we will at least keep quiet.
    >
    > I am actually convinced this is how a lot of great athletes return after injury/mishap. You have
    > all the time to preparate your body.
    >
    > Erik Dekker became a hotshot after a year suspension, Ulrich came back fit as ever... there are
    > more examples, also from other sports.

    Well the big problem is that rider is not able to accurately benchmark his progress against other
    riders. Plus it's hard to match the level of intensity in racing. The other problem is that by the
    time you realize that your form is inadequate you may not have adequate traing time to bring
    yourself up to the proper level. Usually it takes about 1 or 2 months for a rider bring himself up
    to a new level of form....

    > --

  16. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Well the big problem is that rider is not able to accurately
    benchmark
    > his progress against other riders. Plus it's hard to match the level of intensity in racing. The
    > other problem is that by the time you realize that your form is inadequate you may not have
    > adequate
    traing
    > time to bring yourself up to the proper level. Usually it takes
    about
    > 1 or 2 months for a rider bring himself up to a new level of
    form....

    I think that Armstrong is the exception that makes the rule that training miles can't be as hard as
    racing miles.

  17. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    I kinda doubt that he is the only exception.... I am sure Racing-Rythm needs to be built up, but there are too many examples of Racers cometing to the top spots after a forced pause.

    Training out of comp can be planned, that is a tad harder with racing/training (can be done, I know). For someone as experienced as Lance he doesn't really need much racing to hone his skills. In a way he doesn't have to be as sharp as one-day success people, he just needs to be as efficient as possible in the flat stages and punch hard at the TT and climbs.

  18. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Well the big problem is that rider is not able to accurately
    > benchmark
    > > his progress against other riders. Plus it's hard to match the level of intensity in racing. The
    > > other problem is that by the time you realize that your form is inadequate you may not have
    > > adequate
    > traing
    > > time to bring yourself up to the proper level. Usually it takes
    > about
    > > 1 or 2 months for a rider bring himself up to a new level of
    > form....
    >
    > I think that Armstrong is the exception that makes the rule that training miles can't be as hard
    > as racing miles.

    Plus, with the advent of effective, scientific training and the glut of power measurement tools,
    racing isn't necessarily the best training anymore. There's something to be said for very specific
    interval training. And, don't discount the Carmichel factor.

  19. [email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Well the big problem is that rider is not able to accurately
    > benchmark
    > > > his progress against other riders. Plus it's hard to match the level of intensity in racing.
    > > > The other problem is that by the time you realize that your form is inadequate you may not
    > > > have adequate
    > traing
    > > > time to bring yourself up to the proper level. Usually it takes
    > about
    > > > 1 or 2 months for a rider bring himself up to a new level of
    > > form....
    > >
    > > I think that Armstrong is the exception that makes the rule that training miles can't be as hard
    > > as racing miles.
    >
    > Plus, with the advent of effective, scientific training and the glut of power measurement tools,
    > racing isn't necessarily the best training anymore. There's something to be said for very specific
    > interval training. And, don't discount the Carmichel factor.

    Training is a big factor, but I still maintain it's hard to benchmark ones condition against other
    riders unless you are actually racing. For example it's very hard to tell quantifably just how a
    rider is doing in the Giro without actually riding there.