Abt on French anti-Americanism during TdF

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> David Ryan wrote:
>
> > That's what we just did.
>
> What's this "we" business, paleface?

You pay US taxes?

> Given you rearlier comment on "vaporizing the cesspool", please answer the following questions:
>
> Which Middle-Eastern city would you choose as the target destination for your nuclear weapon? Why?

Target selection is premature. Let's see how what we're doing plays out.

> So far, you have demonstrated astounding ignorance and lack of compassion. I just want to
> check calibration on whether or not you have spectacular bad judgement and irreversible
> brainwashing too.

Why don't you check to see if your instrument is plugged in first?

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > If it were only that easy. If I were to move to another country, I
expect
> > that I would need to be able to speak the language in order to function
in
> > society. While many people who come to this country do speak some
English,
> > there is a large population of new citizens who can't.
>

> No ... The rest of the world learns to speak English, because we won't
speak
> other languages.
>
> What do you call a person who speaks 2 languages? Bi-lingual What do you call a person who speaks
> many languages? Multi-lingual What do you call a person who speaks only one language? American

I don't necessarily think that's the whole answer.

Take someone from South America (non Brazilian), put'em on a plane to the Middle or Far East, and
see how well they can verbally communicate.

English is the most common second language for several reasons: economic and entertainment. How many
people around the world learn English words by watching American TV shows and movies, and English
speaking music? How many people learn English for business reasons?

In terms of communicating with the rest of the world, which language would be best for English
speaking Americans to learn? Our trade with China is huge, the Hispanic population in the USA is
growing faster than ever, WASPy Americans have a choice of languages if they track their lineage.
How many current second and third generation immigrants have retained their native language skills?

Kyle Legate wrote:
> David Ryan wrote:
>
>>Being on the side of a has-been dictator is not a badge of honor. You cannot cast out Satan with
>>Beelzebub.
>>

> Ture enough. It doesn't seem anyone is willing to try to cast out Dubya.

Not quite true. As usual, there's the usual peanut gallery of idealogues acting like an impeachment
is plausible. The difference is, they haven't seized control of the party in opposition.

David Ryan wrote:
> Dashi Toshii wrote:
>

>> 2 Kings 22:20 Behold therefore, I will gather thee unto thy fathers, and thou shalt be
>> gathered into thy grave in peace; and thine eyes shall not see all the evil which I will
>> bring upon this place. And they brought the king word again.
>>
>> (Whole Chapter: 2 Kings 22 In context: 2 Kings 22:19-21)
>>
>> Dashii
>

> "Evil" in the King James Bible is used to translate two entirely different concepts. One is for
> moral evil. The other is for calamity, often as a punishment for evil. If you are going to be an
> effective atheist, you should at least be informed on the subject of religion.

When you create different definitions for the same word as needed, how can you expect anyone to be
properly informed?

Same ****, different day.

Raptor wrote:

> David Ryan wrote:
> > Dashi Toshii wrote:
> >

> >> 2 Kings 22:20 Behold therefore, I will gather thee unto thy fathers, and thou shalt be
> >> gathered into thy grave in peace; and thine eyes shall not see all the evil which I will
> >> bring upon this place. And they brought the king word again.
> >>
> >> (Whole Chapter: 2 Kings 22 In context: 2 Kings 22:19-21)
> >>
> >> Dashii
> >

> > "Evil" in the King James Bible is used to translate two entirely different concepts. One is for
> > moral evil. The other is for calamity, often as a punishment for evil. If you are going to be an
> > effective atheist, you should at least be informed on the subject of religion.
>
> When you create different definitions for the same word as needed, how can you expect anyone to be
> properly informed?
>
> Same ****, different day.

Just to start breaking down your own sentence:

When, adverb
1 : at what time <when will you return> 2 a : at or during which time b : and then
2 : at a former and usually less prosperous time <brag fondly of having known him when --
Vance Packard>

When, conjunction 1 a : at or during the time that : WHILE <went fishing when he was a boy> b : just
at the moment that <stop writing when the bell rings> c : at any or every time that <when he listens
to music, he falls asleep>
3 : in the event that : IF <a contestant is disqualified when he disobeys the rules> 3 a :
considering that <why use water at all when you can drown in it -- Stuart Chase> b : in spite of
the fact that : ALTHOUGH <quit politics when I might have had a great career in it>
4 : the time or occasion at or in which <tomorrow is when we must decide> <humor is when you laugh
-- Earl Rovit>

When, pronoun
5 : what or which time <life-long homes for those... who have lived here since when -- Kim Waller>

When, noun
6 : the time in which something is done or comes about <troubled his head very little about the hows
and whens of life -- Laurence Sterne>

You are using the conjunction, definition 2, of "when". The only reason I have a clue what you're
saying is context.

David Ryan wrote:
> Stewart Fleming wrote:
>
>>David Ryan wrote:
>>

>>>That's what we just did.
>>
>>What's this "we" business, paleface?
>

> You pay US taxes?

Every time I visit. Bed taxes, vehicle taxes, state taxes of every and any description. No taxation
without representation, right? Actually, as a British subject (you know, one of "your" fellow
members of the coalition of the killing), I wouldn't even use the term "we" As a New Zealand
resident I can't use the term "we" since our Government was smart enough to see through the lies for
the justification and brave enough to stick to its line.

> Why don't you check to see if your instrument is plugged in first?

Calibration seems fine to me. As I've said in this forum before, given the choice of thinking for
myself and believing the word of institutionalized liars, I'll take the former every time, thanks.

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> David Ryan wrote:
> > Stewart Fleming wrote:

> >>What's this "we" business, paleface?
> >

> > You pay US taxes?
>
> Every time I visit. Bed taxes, vehicle taxes, state taxes of every and any description. No
> taxation without representation, right? Actually, as a British subject (you know, one of "your"
> fellow members of the coalition of the killing), I wouldn't even use the term "we" As a New
> Zealand resident I can't use the term "we" since our Government was smart enough to see through
> the lies for the justification and brave enough to stick to its line.
>
> > Why don't you check to see if your instrument is plugged in first?
>
> Calibration seems fine to me. As I've said in this forum before, given the choice of thinking for
> myself and believing the word of institutionalized liars, I'll take the former every time, thanks.

I'll remember all that the next time the Maori rise up.

David Ryan wrote:

> I'll remember all that the next time the Maori rise up.

Go for it. What's your current position on who owns the seashore and seabed?

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Charlie C. wrote:
> >
> > So, instead of focusing on the important question of "what happened to them?" (are the hidden,
> > are they moved?) people are using this issue as an opportunity to take pot shots. If those
> > weopons don't exist then EVERY intelligence service on the planet was duped.
> >
> Considering that the only source of intelligence for at least a couple of years are dodgy
> sattelite photos, this is a realistic possibility.

You mean like this recently de-classified photo that formed much of the basis for our invasion? The
mobile biological weapons trailer can be seen in the lower right-hand corner.
http://tinyurl.com/g026

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dashi Toshii wrote:

> > instead
> > office

Presidential
> > more

> > for
> > rights?

on".

in

> > > That's what we just did.
> >
> > What's this "we" ****?
>
> In a democracy, everyone who supported the cause is "we."

I disagree. There are different degrees of support, by merely supporting a political decision and a
politician's agenda, hidden or otherwise, does not constitute support for a cause.

I'm convinced that Bush's real reason for the Afgan and Iraqi war is his belief that he believes
that "God" wanted him to.

> > Were you there?
>
> No.
>
> > Why not?
>
> I am 42 and quadriplegic.

OK that's a pretty good reason, I'm sorry to hear that.

> > Dashii
>
> Anymore questions?

Will Lance win the TdF?

Dashii

Stewart Fleming wrote:

> David Ryan wrote:
>
> > I'll remember all that the next time the Maori rise up.
>
> Go for it. What's your current position on who owns the seashore and seabed?

The Maori own all of it :)

David Ryan wrote:
> Raptor wrote:
>
>>David Ryan wrote:

>>>"Evil" in the King James Bible is used to translate two entirely different concepts. One is for
>>>moral evil. The other is for calamity, often as a punishment for evil. If you are going to be an
>>>effective atheist, you should at least be informed on the subject of religion.
>>
>>When you create different definitions for the same word as needed, how can you expect anyone to be
>>properly informed?
>>
>>Same ****, different day.
>

> Just to start breaking down your own sentence:
>
> When, adverb
> 1 : at what time <when will you return> 2 a : at or during which time b : and then
> 3 : at a former and usually less prosperous time <brag fondly of having known him when -- Vance
> Packard>
>
> When, conjunction 1 a : at or during the time that : WHILE <went fishing when he was a boy> b :
> just at the moment that <stop writing when the bell rings> c : at any or every time that <when he
> listens to music, he falls asleep>
> 2 : in the event that : IF <a contestant is disqualified when he disobeys the rules> 3 a :
> considering that <why use water at all when you can drown in it -- Stuart Chase> b : in spite
> of the fact that : ALTHOUGH <quit politics when I might have had a great career in it>
> 4 : the time or occasion at or in which <tomorrow is when we must decide> <humor is when you laugh
> -- Earl Rovit>
>
> When, pronoun
> 1 : what or which time <life-long homes for those... who have lived here since when -- Kim Waller>
>
> When, noun
> 1 : the time in which something is done or comes about <troubled his head very little about the
> hows and whens of life -- Laurence Sterne>
>
> You are using the conjunction, definition 2, of "when". The only reason I have a clue what you're
> saying is context.

The context of the word "evil" above gives no indication that your definition is correct, unlike my
use of "when."

I'll accept your explanation based on the original Hebrew, but you're in the seeming minority that
doesn't consider the King James version to be the divinely inspired Word o' Gawd.

My argument, btw, is divinely inspired.

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote
> Stewart Fleming wrote:
>> David Ryan wrote:
>> > This is not Vietnam because I believe we have a Barry Goldwater instead of a Lyndon Johnson, or
>> > somebody thinking only of his johnson, in office who, push come to shove, will push the button
>> > and vaporize that cesspool.
>> Your humanity is touching.

> This is not about humanity. This is about winning.

Pithily put, General LeMay.

Be careful that in fighting your enemy, you do not become him.

Ben

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dashi Toshii wrote:

> > had.

> > the

upon
> > this

> > > "Evil" in the King James Bible is used to translate two entirely
different
> > > concepts. One is for moral evil. The other is for calamity, often as
> > > punishment for evil. If you are going to be an effective atheist, you should at least be
> > > informed on the subject of religion.
> >
> > I should point out that you are an Atheist if you don't believe in the
God
> > of other religions. <G>
>
> No, I would be an infidel.

Only true if you could provide evidence that your "God" is the one and only true god and that all
other "Gods" are not.

And what if you are worshipping the wrong "God"? Oh my what a problem. <G>

> > Oh I am very well versed on the contradictions and inaccuracies within
the
> > bible.
> >
> > Atheist's don't try to be "effective", whatever that means, we just tell
the
> > truth and point out the absurdity of your bible.
> >
> > I also know that "believers" in the bible stories also try to interpret
for
> > others so that words like "evil" and "hate" do not mean what they so obviously were intended
> > to mean.
>
> The Hebrew word ra'a' from which the noun ra' translated as 'evil' derives literally means 'to
> break in pieces'. The context determines the precise meaning.

You are wrong, see below:

Strong's Number: 7451 Browse Lexicon Original Word Word Origin [r from (07489) Transliterated
Word TDNT Entry Ra` TWOT - 2191a,2191c Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech rah

Definition adj
1.. bad, evil
2.. bad, disagreeable, malignant
3.. bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)
4.. evil, displeasing
5.. bad (of its kind - land, water, etc)
6.. bad (of value)
7.. worse than, worst (comparison)
8.. sad, unhappy
9.. evil (hurtful)
10.. bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)
11.. bad, evil, wicked (ethically)
12.. in general, of persons, of thoughts
13.. deeds, actions n m
14.. evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity
15.. evil, distress, adversity
16.. evil, injury, wrong
17.. evil (ethical) n f
18.. evil, misery, distress, injury
19.. evil, misery, distress
20.. evil, injury, wrong
21.. evil (ethical)

> > But accept for the absolute truth whatever it is that they agree with.
> >
> > In other words, you are dishonest as are all of you ilk. <G>
> >
> > Dashii
>
> You are projecting your own rather obvious tactic on those whom you are
against.

I'm not "against" anyone, through I do try to counter religious bigotry whenever I can.

Dashii

"David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Raptor wrote:
> >
> > David Ryan wrote:

upon this

> > > "Evil" in the King James Bible is used to translate two entirely
different
> > > concepts. One is for moral evil. The other is for calamity, often as
> > > punishment for evil. If you are going to be an effective atheist, you should at least be
> > > informed on the subject of religion.
> >
> > When you create different definitions for the same word as needed, how can you expect anyone to
> > be properly informed?
> >
> > Same ****, different day.
>
> Just to start breaking down your own sentence:
>
> When, adverb
> 1 : at what time <when will you return> 2 a : at or during which time b : and then
> 3 : at a former and usually less prosperous time <brag fondly of having
known him when -- Vance Packard>

> When, conjunction 1 a : at or during the time that : WHILE <went fishing when he was a boy>
b : just at the moment that <stop writing when the bell rings> c : at any or every time that <when
he listens to music, he falls asleep>
> 2 : in the event that : IF <a contestant is disqualified when he disobeys
the rules>
> 3 a : considering that <why use water at all when you can drown in it --
Stuart Chase> b : in spite of the fact that : ALTHOUGH <quit politics when I might have had a great
career in it>
> 4 : the time or occasion at or in which <tomorrow is when we must decide>
<humor is when you laugh -- Earl Rovit>

> When, pronoun
> 1 : what or which time <life-long homes for those... who have lived here
since when -- Kim Waller>

> When, noun
> 1 : the time in which something is done or comes about <troubled his head
very little about the hows and whens of life -- Laurence Sterne>

> You are using the conjunction, definition 2, of "when". The only reason I have a clue what you're
> saying is context.

argumentum ad hominem. Personal attacks on your opponent are an admission of intellectual
bankruptcy.

Dashii

David Ryan wrote:

> Stewart Fleming wrote:
> >
> > David Ryan wrote:
> >
> > > I'll remember all that the next time the Maori rise up.
> >
> > Go for it. What's your current position on who owns the seashore and seabed?
>
> The Maori own all of it :)

Cool! Really? Write and tell our government then. Can you explain why too?

Followup: With your answers to part 1, now tell me who owns the Chatham Islands, seashore and seabed
surrounding. And why.

> > Anymore questions?
>
> Will Lance win the TdF?
>
> Dashii

I don't think anyone no matter how strong going in can be said to be odds-on. Too many things can
happen. But I think the smart money from the last four years is still letting it ride. That is what
I'm hoping for.

Dashi Toshii wrote:

> "David Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Dashi Toshii wrote:

> dictator.
> radical
> > > had.

> than
> > > the

> upon
> > > this

> different
> > >
> > > I should point out that you are an Atheist if you don't believe in the
> God
> > > of other religions. <G>
> >
> > No, I would be an infidel.
>
> Only true if you could provide evidence that your "God" is the one and only true god and that all
> other "Gods" are not.
>
> And what if you are worshipping the wrong "God"? Oh my what a problem. <G>
>
> > > Oh I am very well versed on the contradictions and inaccuracies within
> the
> > > bible.
> > >
> > > Atheist's don't try to be "effective", whatever that means, we just tell
> the
> > > truth and point out the absurdity of your bible.
> > >
> > > I also know that "believers" in the bible stories also try to interpret
> for
> > > others so that words like "evil" and "hate" do not mean what they so obviously were intended
> > > to mean.
> >
> > The Hebrew word ra'a' from which the noun ra' translated as 'evil' derives literally means 'to
> > break in pieces'. The context determines the precise meaning.
>
> You are wrong, see below:
>
> Strong's Number: 7451 Browse Lexicon Original Word Word Origin [r from (07489)
> Transliterated Word TDNT Entry Ra` TWOT - 2191a,2191c Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech rah
>
> Definition adj
> 1.. bad, evil
> 1.. bad, disagreeable, malignant
> 2.. bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)
> 3.. evil, displeasing
> 4.. bad (of its kind - land, water, etc)
> 5.. bad (of value)
> 6.. worse than, worst (comparison)
> 7.. sad, unhappy
> 8.. evil (hurtful)
> 9.. bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)
> 10.. bad, evil, wicked (ethically)
> 1.. in general, of persons, of thoughts
> 2.. deeds, actions n m
> 2.. evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity
> 1.. evil, distress, adversity
> 2.. evil, injury, wrong
> 3.. evil (ethical) n f
> 3.. evil, misery, distress, injury
> 1.. evil, misery, distress
> 2.. evil, injury, wrong
> 3.. evil (ethical)

We'll just throw different versions of Strong's at each other:

7451 - ra` - rah

from 'ra`a`' (7489); bad or (as noun) evil (natural or moral):-- adversity, affliction,
bad, calamity,
+ displease(-ure), distress, evil((- favouredness), man, thing),
+ exceedingly, X great, grief(-vous), harm, heavy, hurt(-ful), ill (favoured),
+ mark, mischief(-vous), misery, naught(-ty), noisome,
+ not please, sad(-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked(-ly, -ness, one), worse(-st),
wretchedness, wrong.

But you didn't go far enough to the root word from which both the senses of physical evil and by
allegory moral evil derive:

7489 -

a primitive root; properly, to spoil (literally, by breaking to pieces); figuratively, to make (or
be) good for nothing,
i.e. bad (physically, socially or morally):-- afflict, break (down, in pieces),
+ displease, (be, bring, do) evil (doer, entreat, man), do harm, (do) hurt, (behave self, deal)
ill, X indeed, do mischief, punish, still, vex,
(do) wicked (doer, -ly), be (deal, do) worse

Because you hate religion, you are prepared to read uncritically someone's list of so-called
contradictions where things are taken out of context in order to make a mocking word game out of it.
Great fun for you, but hardly intellectual.

In any event, the context of the word evil is clearly destruction of one place where (moral) evil
was already occuring:

II Kings 22: 15 And she said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Tell the man that sent
you to me,

16 Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, and upon the inhabitants thereof,
[even] all the words of the book which the king of Judah hath read:

17 Because they have forsaken me, and have burned incense
unto other gods, that they might provoke me to anger with
all the works of their hands; therefore my wrath shall be
kindled against this place, and shall not be quenched.

18 But to the king of Judah which sent you to enquire of the LORD, thus shall ye say to him, Thus
saith the LORD God of Israel, [As touching] the words which thou hast heard;

19 Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the LORD, when thou heardest
what I spake against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, that they should become a
desolation and a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard [thee],
saith the LORD.

20 Behold therefore, I will gather thee unto thy fathers,
and thou shalt be gathered into thy grave in peace; and
thine eyes shall not see all the evil which I will bring
upon this place. And they brought the king word again.

> > > But accept for the absolute truth whatever it is that they agree with.
> > >
> > > In other words, you are dishonest as are all of you ilk. <G>
> > >
> > > Dashii
> >
> > You are projecting your own rather obvious tactic on those whom you are
> against.
>
> I'm not "against" anyone, through I do try to counter religious bigotry whenever I can.
>
> Dashii

You are projecting again.

I only made the statement "You cannot cast out Satan with Beelzebub.", which is only a universal
allegory that evil is evil and Saddam and UBL might as well be one and the same. Besides having a
biblical source, I was not making a religious statement at all.

That you chose to make it the occasion for a diatribe against religion exposes your knee-jerk
anti-religious bigotry with a spotlight.

> [Image]

heh heh You copied the little audio icon :)