Abus U lock question

Dh

Guest
It's weekend and the stores are closed so maybe someone can answer this for me. The U type locks
(such as the Abus Granit 54), they can be mounted on the bike for easy use with a plastic holder of
some sort, I believe. Can someone easily steal the lock while it is being stored in place? The one I
saw in a store was behind glass and I didn't think to ask. I went to their web site, but saw nothing
that might answer my question. Thanks! Dave

"DH" skrev...
> It's weekend and the stores are closed so maybe someone can answer this for me. The U type locks
> (such as the Abus Granit 54), they can be mounted on the bike for easy use with a plastic holder
> of some sort, I believe. Can someone easily steal the lock while it is being stored in place? The
> one I saw in a store was behind glass and I didn't think to ask. I went to their web site, but saw
> nothing that might answer my question. Thanks! Dave

The ones I've seen lock into the holder.

M.

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:19:28 +0200, DH <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's weekend and the stores are closed so maybe someone can answer this for me. The U type locks
> (such as the Abus Granit 54), they can be mounted on the bike for easy use with a plastic holder
> of some sort, I believe. Can someone easily steal the lock while it is being stored in place?

Yes, trivially. The lock isn't locked into the bracket, it just clicks into place and clicks out
again. At least, that's the case with my Granit X-Plus 54, which has what they call a TexKF
Montageanleitung (mounting bracket, I guess).

If you mean more generically, the other U-locks I've had all locked into teh bracket, so you
couldn't take them off without breaking teh bracket. However, teh bracket in all cases is a
relatively weak bit of plastic and some energetic levering would get teh lock free pretty
quick, I think.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

DH wrote:

> It's weekend and the stores are closed so maybe someone can answer this for me. The U type locks
> (such as the Abus Granit 54), they can be mounted on the bike for easy use with a plastic holder
> of some sort, I believe. Can someone easily steal the lock while it is being stored in place? The
> one I saw in a store was behind glass and I didn't think to ask. I went to their web site, but saw
> nothing that might answer my question. Thanks! Dave

Why would anyone want to steal a U-lock? It would not be very useful without the keys.

And if the bike is in a place where theft is a concern, why not lock up the bike with the U-lock?

Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

Ian Smith must be edykated coz e writed:

> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:19:28 +0200, DH <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It's weekend and the stores are closed so maybe someone can answer this for me. The U type locks
>> (such as the Abus Granit 54), they can be mounted on the bike for easy use with a plastic holder
>> of some sort, I believe. Can someone easily steal the lock while it is being stored in place?
>
> Yes, trivially. The lock isn't locked into the bracket, it just clicks into place and clicks out
> again. At least, that's the case with my Granit X-Plus 54, which has what they call a TexKF
> Montageanleitung (mounting bracket, I guess).
>
> If you mean more generically, the other U-locks I've had all locked into teh bracket, so you
> couldn't take them off without breaking teh bracket. However, teh bracket in all cases is a
> relatively weak bit of plastic and some energetic levering would get teh lock free pretty quick,
> I think.

The Mule rack from Topeak allows a standard u-lock to be mounted under the top plate, I think it
locks in place.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Tom,

> Why would anyone want to steal a U-lock? It would not be very useful without the keys.

For the same reason anything in a public place is bolted down - people will steal and damage
anything just because they can. Thieves are not known to be particularly bright, just damaging.

> And if the bike is in a place where theft is a concern, why not lock up the bike with the U-lock?

I plan on using a U lock in addition to a cable lock in high theft areas.

If someone can easily steal a U lock that is simply mounted and not locked on the frame, I'm still
out 60 dollars and have to buy a new lock even if though the keyless U lock is of no use to them.

Dave

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 14:56:16 +0200, "DH" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I plan on using a U lock in addition to a cable lock in high theft areas.
>
>If someone can easily steal a U lock that is simply mounted and not locked on the frame, I'm still
>out 60 dollars and have to buy a new lock even if though the keyless U lock is of no use to them.

And use only the cable lock in low theft areas? I'm not sure if that's wise. But if you insist. you
could just take the U-lock and lock it onto the frame.

(Or am I still missing the point here?)

> And use only the cable lock in low theft areas? I'm not sure if that's wise. But if you insist.
> you could just take the U-lock and lock it onto the frame.
>
> (Or am I still missing the point here?)

I just wanted to know how these locks were mounted on the frame as the Abus web site made no mention
of any kind of additional mount.

Just so you know, almost all the bikes here in the Netherlands have a lock that places a pin through
the rear wheel's spokes, that's standard. If that's all you use, someone can still pick up your bike
and walk away. A cable offers a little more protection and I use one exclusively. I was just curious
about the U lock and the system used to keep it in place.