Abuse from cars...any revenge stories?

I knew a couple of guys who were couriers in London. One of their favourite tricks for revenge in heavy traffic was to open the rear door or boot (trunk) of the car that had cut them up. Due to the traffic the car driver would never be able to catch them (certainly not after having to get out and shut the door/boot anyway).

I've had one incident where some lads in a soft top car fired a water pistol at me as I was riding along. The road we were on doubles back on itself and a cycle path cuts through the short part leading to a toucan crossing. I rode through and pressed the button, bringing them to a stop at the red light. I then emptied the contents of one of my bottles all over the occupants and shot off down the cycle path again.

i had some kids do a few laps yelling at me and running me off the road. unfortunatly for them i followed them home. they wanted to fight, but once i made it clear i had no qualms about beating them all into the ground they apologized.

another time i was making a left turn, so took the lane. after signaling a guy in a suv floored it around me, his mirror missing me by 2 in. so i caught him 2 blocks later as he was pulling into a parking garage. he didnt take me explanation of being aloud on the road well and did a lot of screaming and swearing at me. so i turned to his 12 year old son in the pasanger seat, who looked very terrified of his angry father. and told him to make sure he never turned out like his dad and rode away.

Mark, While I didn't quote you, I can say, you aren't the only one!!!! The first time(2003), someone tried to run me off the road, I chased them for over a mile into, the parking lot of the local mall.:mad: I had not noticed that they have 'one-way' arrows for every lane of the parking lot. Well, I noticed one of the arrows at the last minute and, as a result of not turning hard enough, I crashed into a parked car, getting a hair-line fracture in my wrist.:( I was on a dumb-ole' second-hand Sears 10-Speed at the time. :mad: Since then, every driver who has done some offensive and, even illegal deed, I have caught.:mad: I have scared every driver I have caught because, they didn't think I could go up to 50mph.:mad: The difference has been my http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?minisite=10080&spid=9358

It is a 24-Speed racing bike.:D

I live in Duluth, Minnesota(USA) on the state line with Wisconsin, 2hrs. from the USA-Canada border and, on the shores of Lake Superior.

ridinslow said:
I have had a couple of run ins here in Boston. One comes to mnd that happened last summer.

A coouple of kids in their parents car were making it a habit to harass me (something about our schedules coincided so that we would meet on the road two or three times a week) Usually it was yelling and honking. The last time it happened - one of the kids leaned out of the car window and spit on me as they drove by.

Needless to say - that set me off, they had gotten too far away from me to do anything about it, so Ijust fumed for a couple of days untill the most logical thing I could have thought of occured to me.

The next time I saw them, I just followed them home. I still smile when I think of the look on thier faces when I rode up into the driveway.

I had a nice talk with the owners of the car (parents). While I was respctful and nice to them I was real careful to let them know that I wouldnt tolerate anymore harrasment from Jr. without involving the police dept. They were just as careful to let me know that Jr wasn't going to be driving anymore.

I havent seen the kid driving since then, but I have seen him on a bike. It doesnt get much better then that.
Beautiful story. Heard a similar one a while back about a bloke who was harrassed on his way home only to find the car parked outside his house - it was his daughter's date. Hahaha.

blazingpedals said:
Great stories, everyone. Both of these stories seem pretty tame by comparison. While commuting to work, there was an intersection where I regularly had problems with 'right hooks.' That is, the cars would pull alongside me and then do a right turn, right through me. I finally decided to take control. First, I started taking the lane, starting a half block before the intersection. I also resolved to do what I could to 'take out' the next car to do it. Sure enough, one morning an older woman in a brand new luxury car passed me in the left lane and then right-hooked me. I dutifully put my foot out and pushed off. I still fell, but at least it kept me out from under her tires. As I picked myself up, she stopped long enough to poke her head out the window and ask if I was all right. I had no damage, but she didn't even wait for an answer before driving off - with a meter-wide dent in her rear quarter panel! I still wonder what her hubby had to say when she got home.
I did a similar thing this evening. Taxi tried to "squeeze" past me on a one way street and turn. I similarly pushed off the car with my foot, falling over in the process but putting a good scratch on his taxi. He stopped and insisted on calling the police, who, when they eventually got there, completely berated the old geyser for wasting their time. It was great.

Wouldn't want to make a habit of it though. Certainly wish my "Danlite" wasn't broken. It really did seem to keep the eejuts a bit further away.

Ryanotokyo said:
I did a similar thing this evening. Taxi tried to "squeeze" past me on a one way street and turn. I similarly pushed off the car with my foot, falling over in the process but putting a good scratch on his taxi. He stopped and insisted on calling the police, who, when they eventually got there, completely berated the old geyser for wasting their time. It was great.

Wouldn't want to make a habit of it though. Certainly wish my "Danlite" wasn't broken. It really did seem to keep the eejuts a bit further away.
I am tempted to try that......the next time some jerk tries something.

Chris516 said:
I am tempted to try that......the next time some jerk tries something.
Don't. Please don't. Take down the number and report them. It's not as exciting, but you will live to fight on. We need you.

Ryanotokyo said:
Don't. Please don't. Take down the number and report them. It's not as exciting, but you will live to fight on. We need you.
Well, There are two 'non-legal' reasons for not doing it:

1. Like someone mentioned when they did that, the momentum of doing that, knocked themselves over.

2. It is so much easier to take the plate # because, it won't make you fall over.

Chris516 said:
Well, There are two 'non-legal' reasons for not doing it:

1. Like someone mentioned when they did that, the momentum of doing that, knocked themselves over.

2. It is so much easier to take the plate # because, it won't make you fall over.
Exactly. I felt wonderfully vindicated and was luckily unhurt, but if you can avoid the impact in the first place, then do so.

Sweet Justice. I commute in Boston everyday, and it seems that a week never goes by without some jackass shouting his ignorance at me from his car/suv window.

Occasionally, I get more than a shout. Last week, I was pedaling through the Sullivan Square (a 2 lane busy rotary) when a couple of guys thought it would be funny to peel out behind me and then throw a FULL can of soda at my back. It knocked me clear off my bike and into the lane of traffic. Scraped and bleeding, I hobble to grab my bike and get out of the way of traffic. A very dangerous place to be. I was ******, and even more ****** that I knew they would get away with that kind of behavior. :mad:

Much to my pleasure, a state trooper saw the whole thing! Pulled them over… and arrested them! Ah sweet justice.

jontramos said:
Sweet Justice. I commute in Boston everyday, and it seems that a week never goes by without some jackass shouting his ignorance at me from his car/suv window.

Occasionally, I get more than a shout. Last week, I was pedaling through the Sullivan Square (a 2 lane busy rotary) when a couple of guys thought it would be funny to peel out behind me and then throw a FULL can of soda at my back. It knocked me clear off my bike and into the lane of traffic. Scraped and bleeding, I hobble to grab my bike and get out of the way of traffic. A very dangerous place to be. I was ******, and even more ****** that I knew they would get away with that kind of behavior. :mad:

Much to my pleasure, a state trooper saw the whole thing! Pulled them over… and arrested them! Ah sweet justice.
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Christopher

Chris516 said:
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Christopher
Stinker that I am, my measures go all the way from the official to the unofficial.
Usually I try to remember the license plate number to report to the authorities,
on a few occasions I pay tribute to the 12.5% of my ancestry that is British
and pull a commando on the malefactors. I leave the details to your imaginations.

riptide said:
Stinker that I am, my measures go all the way from the official to the unofficial.
Usually I try to remember the license plate number to report to the authorities,
on a few occasions I pay tribute to the 12.5% of my ancestry that is British
and pull a commando on the malefactors. I leave the details to your imaginations.
I did that a couple months ago and, the idiot was, a motorist that, happened to also ride bikes. The guy certainly hadn't read the state 'Drivers Manual'.

To make it worse, a busy road in the western section of the city, has been reduced to two-way on one side of the road. As a result of this, regardless of, going to the farthest right-hand side of the road, it is too risky because of the traffic behind me. Since this is the case, I have to 'take the lane', to avoid getting killed by someone who thinks they can pass me in the 'construction zone'.

Christopher

if you think Adelaide and Newcastle are bad try cycling in Sydney, it's a mobile obstacle course.

This one day i was out for a long ride in preparation for an upcoming triathlon, so i had my bike pump and all the repair kit because i would be a long way from any help.

I was grinding up a particularly long hill and as i approached the top T junction some Yuppie in a massive 4WD sped past me doing way more than the speed limit, his wife leans out and said "we can’t wait all day we have places to be" and they "left hooked" me. i almost went ass over the handle bars but managed to recover from the death wobbles.

I was so fired up i gave chase and caught up at a set of traffic lights, i was not sure what i was going to do but almost instinctively i unclipped the bike pump from my frame and drove it through both passenger side windows followed by the remark "life is way more enjoyable when you don’t rush" and i hit the aero position for the next 15K's which was covered in 20 mins!

p.s this is very illegal and dangerous im not proud but when the adrenalin from a near death expierence hits.......make sure you can ride real fast because they only stay stunned for a while!

OK, so I didn't get revenge but I came up with a great come-back line.

A teen-ager hung out his car and shouted "f***ing idiot" The next time it happens I'll let them know that I have 3 planned children and my wife achieves orgasm more often than the national average. I am no f***ing idiot.

Why go telling them about your private life? Forget it. These kinds of people are not worth talking with. They are agro about something, you are their victim, and you do not have the power to talk them around - certainly not there and then.

You know what though, prevention is the best cure. A good mirror and whistle can prevent many incidents. You can often tell a mile away when agressive drivers are coming up behind you. I will stick out my arm before they come up on me, which usually makes them move a further yard away. If they don't, the whistle makes them think twice about doing anything stupid, by which time they have already blown past you (just to stop at the lights a little way up ahead. - Naturally! Couldn't think of a more rational way to get around...&#%& fools, the lot of em...).

Have you noticed that many agressive drivers in the city REALLY hate it when they discover that even though you are "slower" than them (i.e. max speed), you are actually moving along just as quickly as them in terms of actually getting places (i.e. point to point), because you can walk your bike over the crossing at the lights, or take a back street they can't etc? Usually drivers don't notice, but when they do, some blokes (it's always men) drive themselves hopping mad over it (pun intended). Almost as if they are thinking, way down in the depths of their brain: "This guy/girl is a freak anomaly. No cyclist should be able to get anywhere faster than me in my BMW. Perhaps he/she is trying to make fun of me. If I run him/her over, then things will be back to normal again, and we cars will be the undisputed leaders again... HAHA.")

Jokes aside, there sure are some strange people around, so don't mess with them, especially when they are operating a heavy machine. Ride on. Ride safe. Just ride. Don't seek revenge. Seek justice.

Ryano

This is really dumb. Remember, you ride that route every day also. If a driver has done something extremely dangerous, then by all means stop them (if you can) and call the police. If you can't or it is dangerous to do so, get their number and call the police. Stupid games will just make the person more antagonistic towards you and other cyclists. It's important to bring the police in whenever possible.

Had an incident a while back with a taxi driver who tried to overtake me on a one lane road and I scratched the side of his vehicle. My light also broke. We swore at each other for 10 minutes while waiting for the police. The police took our details and statements and then immediately started berating the guy and his feeble arguments until he admitted what a ****** he had been. It was fabulous. Take the time to call for back up in these situations. It is worth it, for everyone's sake.

Ryanotokyo said:
You know what though, prevention is the best cure. A good mirror and whistle can prevent many incidents. ...

...because you can walk your bike over the crossing at the lights, or take a back street they can't etc? ...

Jokes aside, there sure are some strange people around, so don't mess with them, especially when they are operating a heavy machine. Ride on. Ride safe. Just ride. Don't seek revenge. Seek justice.

Ryano
Thanks! I already have and use a mirror, but the whistle is just the thing I was missing. And, DUH, I never thought of using the crosswalk. Covering distance faster and healthier is sweet "revenge" indeed.

Some years back, before my wife's health forced me off the bike (she has Parkinson's and autonomic neuropathy, I'm close to my 72nd birthday) a group of us were chopped up by an old prat who objected to cyclists riding (legally) two abreast on a two-lane road.

I followed him until he parked his car, and we had "words", when he warned me he was friends with the local police chief, so I'd better watch my step.

After dark that evening, I did the 12 mile trip back with a pack of fast-setting Araldite in my saddle bag. I'd planned to plug all his locks up, but unfortunately he'd put his nice Hillman car to bed.

Wouldn't work to-day, now that so many cars have electronic central locking.

Thou shalt not get found out - No. 11.
:p
John Knees.