Abuse from cars...any revenge stories?

Originally Posted by Ryanotokyo
You know what though, prevention is the best cure. A good mirror and whistle can prevent many incidents. ...

...because you can walk your bike over the crossing at the lights, or take a back street they can't etc? ...

Jokes aside, there sure are some strange people around, so don't mess with them, especially when they are operating a heavy machine. Ride on. Ride safe. Just ride. Don't seek revenge. Seek justice.

Ryano

I wouldn't recommend this in Great Britain - even if you dismount, the bike is still legally defined as a carriage, and you can be "done" for disobeying a traffic sign.

Similarly a cyclist can be prosecuted for "drunk in charge" so be careful out there!
John.

I have a great revenge story.

I live in the UK, in Liverpool. I’m a racing cyclist, and used to do a lot of road racing (now I just do time trials). About 13 years ago I met up with around 60 other club cyclists for a ‘chaingang’ on a still light Thursday evening. A chaingang is a very fast, race pace bunch training ride usually along a dual carriage way, or some road with no stops etc.

Anyway, whilst riding in a big bunch (2 abreast) towards the dual carriage way, a ‘yoof’ in a red Ford Fiesta cut up the head of the group, and shouted some abuse. I was in the middle of the bunch, but the head riders sprinted up the road chasing after the idiot in the Fiesta. Unfortunately (for him) the Fiesta had to stop at a roundabout about 500 metres up the road. The head riders quickly caught up with him, shortly followed by the rest of us who had all upped our pace to follow.

There were some seriously ‘hard’ guys in the bunch (I was just a kid at the time), and when they caught the Fiesta Driver up, they parted like the Red Sea around both sides of, and in front of, his car. The 20 riders or so then proceeded to bash their fists on the bonnet and roof of this twit’s car, and shout abuse at him. The kid was obviously cr*pping himself!!

It was really great to see this idiot get his comeuppance. However, this was 10+ years ago, and traffic levels have risen ridiculously since then. Also car drivers attitudes to cyclists have gotten so much worse since then. It was a risky thing to do, and wouldn’t be wise to do today as there are so many nutters driving around here these days. Nutters who would literally run a bunch of cyclists down and make off, if they felt that their precious car was being ‘attacked’.

Cyclist death rates per 1 million miles ridden in the UK are surpassed only by motorcyclists (which I am also). However, because I ride a motorcycle safely (these days!) I actually feel so much more vulnerable on a bicycle. Cyclists are despised in the UK, more so now than ever. and I find that thoroughly depressing. As a kid I never picked up on it (I grew up near the Yorkshire dales) and would cycle miles and mile with no trouble. These days, I try and avoid cities, stick to quiet country lanes and avoid the rush hours. I try not to ride at night, and do a lot of turbo training (indoor training device). When I do go for a training ride in Liverpool, I pick the quietist time I can (midday) and expect to get cut up, abused or threatened. My tactic now is simply to stop, and let the culprit ‘win’ because I know that I can’t. Groups of yobs are annoying, because you dare not stop, and I will occasionally flick them the ‘V’ and sprint off. I used to get so worked up, say at traffic lights etc., and indignant because I was in the ‘right’, but it’s a waste of energy trying to do anything about it.

I would think very hard about commuting as a cyclist. You just cannot ‘beat’ a lazy, selfish and aggressive gimp in a 2 ton piece of metal. Don’t forget that the pseudo ‘return to womb’ experience of being in a car as a driver, can bring out the absolute worst in people, even mild mannered people. Add to that the fact that the law ‘system’ is against you as a cyclist (whatever anyone might try and tell you) you’re on a loser. With the planet choking it is truly depressing that cyclists aren’t encouraged, respected and embraced instead of being vilified and detested.

I will add that I am a car driver too, and always look out for bikers and cyclists when I’m in a car.

Blue Paul - you are right about letting the yobbos "win". Revenge is short lived. If the incident is serious, get their details and call the police. If not, let them "win" and get your own back in other ways (advocacy groups etc). These groups are gaining momentum around the world. Just being a member makes a difference. Dedicated cycle lanes - away from the crazy world of cars, is the sweetest revenge.

Well having been a courier in one of the hairiest cities to one I have many war stories of battles and revenge. Trying to remain calm in light of the "incident" is certainly the wiser act. Now you're all adrenalined up, heart rate trough the roof as this 'yabo' is having his go at you. He's cut you off and you;ve caught up to him. Words exchanged, through the window....the heat tightens your chest. .....

Unless you are experienced in taking on cars, don't. Racers, club riders, recreationals the slightest twitch can send you to a world of hurt. Reading a pack in a corner can become second nature to a seasoned racer, just as reading the steel moving obstacles is a messenger forte. I relish the bike/car dance. I take my lane when it's time for me to do so. Other times you'll see me on the yellow line in the middle of road where it's safer. I 've been doored, parked on, turn into T BOned and stopped on, still here.

Two things ( I do not condone nor recommend these applications, but it's a revenge thread ;) )
**NOTE** If you are in a less densly pop'd area you may see him again so fore warned is fore armed.

1.. A second water bottle of fresh coke for carving your tag into asshole's paint, especially good on the hood in the summer. Chances are he won't even notice it's coke til later.

2..Always always always carry your U lock on your hip. A well timed one way street light leaves a side view mirror hanging by servos just lovely.

Know your streets like the back of your hand, and ride it like it's hot.
I'm a tax payer, home owner too, the bike lanes are too narrow and too damed slow for an experienced rider. I'll take my lane thanks you take the path.

I was cycling alone across the US and was in a remote part of the upper thumb of Michigan searching a lonely road for a state campground I had chosen for the night. I hadn't seen a car in hours and was grinding along up a hill at the end of a long day when I heard the low roar of an engine coming up the road behind me. I didn't even need to turn to look at the car to know it was trouble. There was something in the sound of the engine and my stomach was in my throat as I heard it's revs slow down as it got nearer. I did a side long glance to see seven kids jammed in the car- 4 guys and 3 girls. As the the car swerved at me they hurled a combination of insults, spit, beer cans and bottles. Only the liquids found their target but I was a combination of ****** off and scared. They slalomed down the road ahead of me and as I crested the hill I could see the entrance to the campground about a 1/4 of a mile away. I was relieved for a moment until they, too, pulled into the same campground. I turned down the dirt road only to find that it was an "honor box" campground- no rangers or camp management of any kind- even worse the small campground had no other campers. Just one pick up truck with a boat trailer in the lot near the lake.

The gang of kids were riding rampant through the small park on the dirt roads and I went in the opposite direction. I found an isolated campsite well out of their way and sat until I was sure they were gone. Eventually I set up my tent and walked down to the lake for a swim. As I came out of the water a boat came from across the lake and the fisherman and I got talking. He was so impressed with my having cycled half way across the country he gave me a huge bass he'd caught. He packed up his boat and drove off leaving me alone in the campground. Later as I was kneeling by the lake with fish guts in one hand and a hunting knife in the other the kids in the car came back. They pulled into the lot laughing and yelling and got out of the car heading down the beach towards me. I kept my back to them as long as I could before I turned and stood up holding only the bloody guts and knife. I am 6'3, had wild long hair and 3 weeks of a beard, was shirtless and must have looked like a madman. The girls screamed bloody murder and ran for the car and the guys jumped a mile, too. I took advantage of the moment and laughed and tried to appear as non-chalant as possible as I walked through them and said, "Hey man, chill... I'm just cleaning a fish for dinner- no big deal." The guys didn't want to appear unmacho and laughed too and said to the girls,"yeah, he's cleaning a fish, man, I knew that...that's cool, that's cool."

They ended up offering me a beer- I accepted.
Then they asked if I wanted to join them at a cabin they'd broken into down the road- I refused.

We went our separate ways.

That fish and that beer sure tasted sweet.

buzzman said:
I was cycling alone across the US and was in a remote part of the upper thumb of Michigan searching a lonely road for a state campground I had chosen for the night. I hadn't seen a car in hours and was grinding along up a hill at the end of a long day when I heard the low roar of an engine coming up the road behind me. I didn't even need to turn to look at the car to know it was trouble. There was something in the sound of the engine and my stomach was in my throat as I heard it's revs slow down as it got nearer. I did a side long glance to see seven kids jammed in the car- 4 guys and 3 girls. As the the car swerved at me they hurled a combination of insults, spit, beer cans and bottles. Only the liquids found their target but I was a combination of ****** off and scared. They slalomed down the road ahead of me and as I crested the hill I could see the entrance to the campground about a 1/4 of a mile away. I was relieved for a moment until they, too, pulled into the same campground. I turned down the dirt road only to find that it was an "honor box" campground- no rangers or camp management of any kind- even worse the small campground had no other campers. Just one pick up truck with a boat trailer in the lot near the lake.

The gang of kids were riding rampant through the small park on the dirt roads and I went in the opposite direction. I found an isolated campsite well out of their way and sat until I was sure they were gone. Eventually I set up my tent and walked down to the lake for a swim. As I came out of the water a boat came from across the lake and the fisherman and I got talking. He was so impressed with my having cycled half way across the country he gave me a huge bass he'd caught. He packed up his boat and drove off leaving me alone in the campground. Later as I was kneeling by the lake with fish guts in one hand and a hunting knife in the other the kids in the car came back. They pulled into the lot laughing and yelling and got out of the car heading down the beach towards me. I kept my back to them as long as I could before I turned and stood up holding only the bloody guts and knife. I am 6'3, had wild long hair and 3 weeks of a beard, was shirtless and must have looked like a madman. The girls screamed bloody murder and ran for the car and the guys jumped a mile, too. I took advantage of the moment and laughed and tried to appear as non-chalant as possible as I walked through them and said, "Hey man, chill... I'm just cleaning a fish for dinner- no big deal." The guys didn't want to appear unmacho and laughed too and said to the girls,"yeah, he's cleaning a fish, man, I knew that...that's cool, that's cool."
I wasn't so happy, about, a car trying to run me off the road in Sept.'03. I chased the car for 5mi. before, I lost them in a shopping mall parking lot. I have chased others for, trying to push me off the road. When they see me in there rear-view or, side-view mirror, they tend to go white as a sheet.

I have commuted the city streets almost daily, for over 20 years and have had too many conflicts to remember. I still have to take control of my emotions when a dangerous situation is created due to some mindless driver.
:) Smile and wave. You can't change their habits with threats. There is a better way to educate those who will listen. There are more than a few that really enjoy an irrate cyclist. If you find one these guys and he turns his ton and a half on you... Life is too good.

lv2tri said:
I have commuted the city streets almost daily, for over 20 years and have had too many conflicts to remember. I still have to take control of my emotions when a dangerous situation is created due to some mindless driver.
Controlling ones' emotions is one thing. Creatively yet, legally expressing them is, what doesn't get done.

lv2tri said:
:) Smile and wave. You can't change their habits with threats. There is a better way to educate those who will listen. There are more than a few that really enjoy an irrate cyclist. If you find one these guys and he turns his ton and a half on you... Life is too good.
While I chase them, I do it long enough, to get a good look at their plate and, the vehicle they are driving so I can let the police know. The problem is, the police could care less, about enforcing the law, where cyclists are concerned.

Chris516 said:
While I chase them, I do it long enough, to get a good look at their plate and, the vehicle they are driving so I can let the police know. The problem is, the police could care less, about enforcing the law, where cyclists are concerned.
I had the sorry privilage of seeing a cyclist get hit by a car. Words were exchanged and the cyclist rode off unscathed. I watched the car wheel into a carryout across the road from where I was tanking up my work truck. I called the Police on my cell phone to report a hit-skip and they promptly arrived.....20 minuites later.

in 202 a cab drive busted my nose in 5 places still can smell thing like i use to but the last day out on the road i go the ******* back by doing the same to him
lots of fun ? revng is sweet ?

Chris516 said:
Controlling ones' emotions is one thing. Creatively yet, legally expressing them is, what doesn't get done.
I agree that violently responding only escalates the matter and surely results in a negative outcome.

I'm finding that as drivers get used to me on my commute, I only get an angry horn honk or rude gesture once a month. I figure that their unresloved anger is killing them while I'm getting stronger and healthier.

Yesterday, I was riding on a busy street on a route I don't normally take. I was in the left turn lane and stopped at a traffic light when an ugly guy in a big pick up truck 2 lanes over shaouted somethintg at me. I had my ears covered so I removed the cover and asked "What?"

He replied (I only partially heard) "Get ... off the road!" I asked, "Get what off the road?" He said, "Your ass!" I told him "I don't own one." and rode off at the green light.

Busses have a safety engine cutoff?

mozza said:
One of the best stories I ever heard about his kind of thing was when a cyclist was forced of the road by a bus. Fortunately he wasn't hurt and he hmanged to catch the bus up, he then hit the safety engine cut-off switch, causing the bus to stop. He cycling right on by...

Rather than shouting at him, the bus passengers had seen the earlier incident and cheered!

I was riding my bike when I came to a narrow section of downhill where the signs state that cyclists are allowed to "take the lane". This down hill is steep enough that a cyclist can easily do the speed limit. Well this small testicaled jackass didn't want to be "stuck' behind a bicycle and have to drive the speed limit. There was no shoulder or bike lane so I held my ground in the middle of the road and this jackass tailgated me down the hill. He was less that a foot from my rear wheel and at the bottom where the bike lane starts he almost sideswiped me going around. I did catch up to him at the stop light and gave him some very colorful language. He just smiles and waves in a way that is really saying, "too bad there's nothing you can do". I copied down his license plate# and reported him to the police. The police were their usual "who really cares about cyclists'. I then wrote a letter to the local newspaper and it was published so I guess that's some revenge. I related the incident and also stated how everybody is looking for ways of reducing car traffic. When cyclist are threated or feel it's unsafe they will head back into their cars.

skidsinhawaii said:
Busses have a safety engine cutoff?
Yes, it's located under a cover at the rear of the vehicle - put there so that the emergency services can cut out the engine when necessary.

Word of warning though - here in the U.K. it's an offence to interfere with the mechanism of a vehicle in this way.

:eek: Fun though, I'd imagine!:eek:

John Knees said:
Yes, it's located under a cover at the rear of the vehicle - put there so that the emergency services can cut out the engine when necessary.

Word of warning though - here in the U.K. it's an offence to interfere with the mechanism of a vehicle in this way.

:eek: Fun though, I'd imagine!:eek:
I was unaware of this. I've had more than one incident with bus drivers, I'll check this out.;)

I was assaulted by some kids driving daddy's brand new SUV ... one leaned out the back window, and hit me across the lower back with a 4' long ice scraper. Lucky for me, it hit my belt and not actually the skin!

Turns out there was a cop coming the other way, and I hopped the medium, and flagged him down in the middle of a 6 lane road! He chased the SUV, but they got away. Someone got the license number, though!

The police impounded the brand new SUV (still had the temp tags in the window!!), towing it out of the dad's driveway!! It took daddy 2 months to get his truck back, and I'm pretty sure Jr. didn't drive it again. The prosecuter dropped the charges way down, and the kid got a suspended sentence and 2 years unsupervised probation.

My son was hit from behind by a careless driver and that left him in a wheel chair. I can't express how much that changes everything. Ride very allert, be as safe as you possibly can and don't challenge drivers.

One other incident that happened to me lately:

I own/drive two vehicles... my bike and a beast of a gas-guzzling, environment killing '79 Blazer, 4x4, lifted, big tires, the works. Oh... did I mention that it's got no front grill, a spray can paint job, and could go THROUGH most modern vehicles and barely slow down? I don't drive it much, up into the mountains once in a while, and to the grocery store when needed, or to haul stuff for friends.

Well, a few weeks ago, some jerk ran a red light on a left turn, and nearly took out my front tire, while I was crossing the street on a green light. Two weeks ago, the SAME guy does it to me at the SAME intersection... the only difference was, I was in my truck this time.... you should have SEEN the guys face when he sees my truck coming at him... I slammed the brakes, stopping a few feet from him, he stops in front of me (with a clear road) to flip me off. I slammed the gas, spinning all four tires, he turns whiter, and slams the gas to get out of the way. I missed his back end by about 6 inches. Two days later, that same guy comes flying up to that SAME turn, right as the light turns red... this time he SLAMS the brakes, and squeals the tires, stopping.

I guess some of them CAN be trained, after all. I was on my bike, and just waved as I rode by.

Ooooo.... I forgot one... though this isn't really 'revenge', the cager still got what was coming to her.

I'm late for work, hustling down the driving lane at the end of a parking lot... going probably 20 mph, lady in white pickup truck coming about the same speed the other way yanks a hard left, right at me... I see her coming and pull my foot out of the way of the front bumper, and aim for the only soft spot around, a bush in a concrete planter.

She nails me from the side(kinda diagonally, as she's still turning) I fly over her good, and land square in the center of this bush. She's all apologies, gonna buy me a new bike, gives me a ride home to change, and a ride to work. I go to work VERY sore, but I make it through the night without too much trouble... she calls the next day, turns out there's $850 damage to the front of her truck, now it's all MY fault, and she wants me to pay the damages to her truck. I tell her to **** off, my Grand Parents tell her the same, in slightly nicer terms, and mention the police a few times (We hadn't filed a report) and she disappears off the face of the earth. I straightened my bike frame using a couple of long two-by-fours as levers, and was riding the bike the same day.