Abuse from cars...any revenge stories?

In parramatta park, 2 weeks after I got my bike, I was riding down the bike lane. A car full of blokes slowly cruised past me. They were looking for somethingas the front passanger was pointing furiously to the driver. Something like, over there idiot!. The driver must have had the *****, as he just yanked on the wheel, putting the rear passanger door fair into me. Im on my ass, driver stops and gets out and blasts the hell out of me. I can go from :cool: to :mad: in about 1 second, and boy, I was :mad: :mad: !

We were screaming at eachother, then the front passanger gets out, and I thought I was going to get killed. He then tore shreds off the driver!! The tool in the left passanger rear, winds down his window, gives me an ear full. F^^K UP I screamed at him, drove my cleat into his door, told the driver one more time, and the front passanger actually starts laughing!!

I got on my bike, had a giggle at his door, and enjoyed the rest of my day, loving the bruises!

blue_paul said:
I have a great revenge story.

I live in the UK, in Liverpool. I’m a racing cyclist, and used to do a lot of road racing (now I just do time trials). About 13 years ago I met up with around 60 other club cyclists for a ‘chaingang’ on a still light Thursday evening. A chaingang is a very fast, race pace bunch training ride usually along a dual carriage way, or some road with no stops etc.

Anyway, whilst riding in a big bunch (2 abreast) towards the dual carriage way, a ‘yoof’ in a red Ford Fiesta cut up the head of the group, and shouted some abuse. I was in the middle of the bunch, but the head riders sprinted up the road chasing after the idiot in the Fiesta. Unfortunately (for him) the Fiesta had to stop at a roundabout about 500 metres up the road. The head riders quickly caught up with him, shortly followed by the rest of us who had all upped our pace to follow.

There were some seriously ‘hard’ guys in the bunch (I was just a kid at the time), and when they caught the Fiesta Driver up, they parted like the Red Sea around both sides of, and in front of, his car. The 20 riders or so then proceeded to bash their fists on the bonnet and roof of this twit’s car, and shout abuse at him. The kid was obviously cr*pping himself!!

It was really great to see this idiot get his comeuppance. However, this was 10+ years ago, and traffic levels have risen ridiculously since then. Also car drivers attitudes to cyclists have gotten so much worse since then. It was a risky thing to do, and wouldn’t be wise to do today as there are so many nutters driving around here these days. Nutters who would literally run a bunch of cyclists down and make off, if they felt that their precious car was being ‘attacked’.

Cyclist death rates per 1 million miles ridden in the UK are surpassed only by motorcyclists (which I am also). However, because I ride a motorcycle safely (these days!) I actually feel so much more vulnerable on a bicycle. Cyclists are despised in the UK, more so now than ever. and I find that thoroughly depressing. As a kid I never picked up on it (I grew up near the Yorkshire dales) and would cycle miles and mile with no trouble. These days, I try and avoid cities, stick to quiet country lanes and avoid the rush hours. I try not to ride at night, and do a lot of turbo training (indoor training device). When I do go for a training ride in Liverpool, I pick the quietist time I can (midday) and expect to get cut up, abused or threatened. My tactic now is simply to stop, and let the culprit ‘win’ because I know that I can’t. Groups of yobs are annoying, because you dare not stop, and I will occasionally flick them the ‘V’ and sprint off. I used to get so worked up, say at traffic lights etc., and indignant because I was in the ‘right’, but it’s a waste of energy trying to do anything about it.

I would think very hard about commuting as a cyclist. You just cannot ‘beat’ a lazy, selfish and aggressive gimp in a 2 ton piece of metal. Don’t forget that the pseudo ‘return to womb’ experience of being in a car as a driver, can bring out the absolute worst in people, even mild mannered people. Add to that the fact that the law ‘system’ is against you as a cyclist (whatever anyone might try and tell you) you’re on a loser. With the planet choking it is truly depressing that cyclists aren’t encouraged, respected and embraced instead of being vilified and detested.

==========================================================
I thought that in the UK especially with the Green movement and traffic congestion that bikes would've been encouraged. This is very sad to read:(
Paul (Auckland, New Zealand)
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I will add that I am a car driver too, and always look out for bikers and cyclists when I’m in a car.
============================================================

This isn't strictly on-thread, but it's a come-uppance story very like one or two of the earlier stories here. It was told me by a (sadly now deceased) uncle of mine, who'd served with the 8th Army throughout the WWII desert campaign in Libya and Egypt. It dates to about 1945

Under the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian treaty, British military traffic was permitted on the Treaty Road, but on the bit between Cairo and the Suez Canal, "soft" vehicles were being attacked and forced off the road by a heavy wrecker-type vehicle, driven by fellahin, who wanted the British out of Egypt.

Their technique was to drive quite normally, then at the last moment swerve and drive head-on at the army vehicle. Faced with a bloody collision, the British lorry crew chose the only other option - a night spent digging the vehicle out under sporadic sniper fire.

Enough was enough, so one day Royal Armoured Corps workshops staff set about turning a Sherman tank into a "soft" vehicle. They whacked on false panels, correctly-configured head and side lights, then a quick coat of sand and brown, and from 50 yards away in half-light you wouldn't know it from a Chevvy, Dodge or Bedford truck.

First twilight trip out on the Treaty Road, sure enough, along comes Abdul, ready to stick another hated Brit into the soft stuff. Foot down, swerve across the road - KERDOING!! - and Abdule was crawling out of the wreckage of his beloved truck.

I think there were a couple of slight scratches on the Sherman, but a bit of sand-coloured touch-up paint did the job.

Not relevant at all, was it!

John Knees said:
This isn't strictly on-thread, but it's a come-uppance story very like one or two of the earlier stories here. It was told me by a (sadly now deceased) uncle of mine, who'd served with the 8th Army throughout the WWII desert campaign in Libya and Egypt. It dates to about 1945

Under the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian treaty, British military traffic was permitted on the Treaty Road, but on the bit between Cairo and the Suez Canal, "soft" vehicles were being attacked and forced off the road by a heavy wrecker-type vehicle, driven by fellahin, who wanted the British out of Egypt.

Their technique was to drive quite normally, then at the last moment swerve and drive head-on at the army vehicle. Faced with a bloody collision, the British lorry crew chose the only other option - a night spent digging the vehicle out under sporadic sniper fire.

Enough was enough, so one day Royal Armoured Corps workshops staff set about turning a Sherman tank into a "soft" vehicle. They whacked on false panels, correctly-configured head and side lights, then a quick coat of sand and brown, and from 50 yards away in half-light you wouldn't know it from a Chevvy, Dodge or Bedford truck.

First twilight trip out on the Treaty Road, sure enough, along comes Abdul, ready to stick another hated Brit into the soft stuff. Foot down, swerve across the road - KERDOING!! - and Abdule was crawling out of the wreckage of his beloved truck.

I think there were a couple of slight scratches on the Sherman, but a bit of sand-coloured touch-up paint did the job.

Not relevant at all, was it!
Maybe not, but I loved it! Good story!

I am an advocate of not doing battle with a 2 ton vehicle while on my bike. meaning most of the time I just smile an nod at all the near misses. however if I am actually struck or tapped by a vehicle or assulted by a passanger then i persue the issue to the very end, under the law.

one such situation came up while I was living in washington DC. that city demands a very aggressive biking style if you want to stay alive. as I was going down a city street there was no gutter and about 6 inches between the cars and the curb. I was moving with traffic at their speed when a city bus pulled up behind me and layed in on the horn. I waved at him in a friendly manner hoping he would stop trying to give me a heart attack and make me deaf all at once. finally the lane on my right cleared enough for the buss to pass me. As the driver (still honking) pulled up next to me he gave me the finger through the glass doors. then he slowly changed lanes into me pinning me at 20+mph between a 2 foot curb and a very large bus. I rolled from the bike onto the sidewalk and into a street light as the bike died a slow horible death under the buss tires. And the bus drove off no long blairing the horn.

Adrenaline going and my heart puming hard I sprang to my feet and sprinted after bus writing down the number and license number. I called 911 and reported the incident. Then I contacted a lawyer that evening. I spent a lot of time sending letters to the city bus company getting the drivers information and making sure action was taken.

In the end I recieved a sizable settlement from the City. The driver, because of his actions, was convited of felnoy hit and run. originally he was charged with assult with a deadly weapon, attempted murder and some ither stuff that sonded impressive to me. I am just happy to know onemore dangerous driver is off the road for good now.

Basicaly if anything touches me while on my bike I persure it under the law aggresivly. I never take matters into my own hands. I realy would rather just dent their car and move on but with my luck i would kick the car of a person like me and end up in jail and sore from an a accident.

Dana

danaarazi said:
I am an advocate of not doing battle with a 2 ton vehicle while on my bike. meaning most of the time I just smile an nod at all the near misses. however if I am actually struck or tapped by a vehicle or assulted by a passanger then i persue the issue to the very end, under the law.

one such situation came up while I was living in washington DC. that city demands a very aggressive biking style if you want to stay alive. as I was going down a city street there was no gutter and about 6 inches between the cars and the curb. I was moving with traffic at their speed when a city bus pulled up behind me and layed in on the horn. I waved at him in a friendly manner hoping he would stop trying to give me a heart attack and make me deaf all at once. finally the lane on my right cleared enough for the buss to pass me. As the driver (still honking) pulled up next to me he gave me the finger through the glass doors. then he slowly changed lanes into me pinning me at 20+mph between a 2 foot curb and a very large bus. I rolled from the bike onto the sidewalk and into a street light as the bike died a slow horible death under the buss tires. And the bus drove off no long blairing the horn.

Adrenaline going and my heart puming hard I sprang to my feet and sprinted after bus writing down the number and license number. I called 911 and reported the incident. Then I contacted a lawyer that evening. I spent a lot of time sending letters to the city bus company getting the drivers information and making sure action was taken.

In the end I recieved a sizable settlement from the City. The driver, because of his actions, was convited of felnoy hit and run. originally he was charged with assult with a deadly weapon, attempted murder and some ither stuff that sonded impressive to me. I am just happy to know onemore dangerous driver is off the road for good now.

Basicaly if anything touches me while on my bike I persure it under the law aggresivly. I never take matters into my own hands. I realy would rather just dent their car and move on but with my luck i would kick the car of a person like me and end up in jail and sore from an a accident.

Dana
I think its great that you got another goof off the road... we need more like you and we need to assert our right to use the roads as well... because of your info, when I ride I have started to stake out a piece of the road and you know what? people have been really good about respecting me as a "vehicle" and part of the traffic... it does seem that hugging the right side shoulder encourages unsafe passing...

I am in Dallas, and it is rare when I can go for a day without verbal abuse from cars. When I can confront them, rarely, I try to be polite and respectful. My goal is to speak truth to ignorance.

My message is essentially; cars and bikes, same rights, same laws, same roads.

If the situation allows, I ask them why they don't drive on the sidewalk? (Most of the time they are yelling at me to "get on the sidewalk") If they are reasonable enough to answer the question, I point out that that is the same reason I don't either. (It is against the law, it is too dangerous, not enough room all apply to me as well.)

Most of the time they are too startled that I am in their face, or too angry to be reasoned with.

I don't think that gasoline prices too high yet, judging by how motorists floor it when they overtake me.

I have had two instances since September of youths on foot throwing rocks at me. The first fella couldn't figure out to lead me, so I was in no real danger- even though he got three try's at me before I got out of range.

A few days later I was riding down a six lane street. (Three lanes each direction divided by a median, 40 mph speed limit, traffic lights, urban area) As usual, I was taking the center of the slow lane. Most streets here about have no shoulder, the slow lane "curb to line" is the same width as the other lanes.

There was this fella who was on the sidewalk walking toward me on my side of the road. When he spotted me he bent down to pick something up and I want on high alert. As I went by him I kept eye contact with him and gave him a cheery "Howdy". (That's how we talk down here)

Alas, it was all for naught. (When's the last time YOU got to use 'alas' in a sentence, huh? Pretty cool!) After I was past him a rock the size of my fist sailed past my ear. Emergency stop! I turn around in my lane, and my strange maneuver causes traffic to come to a halt- first in my travel direction, and then because of looky-loos going the other. I charge toward my assailant.

He is astonished that I am now attacking him! He has a terrified look on his face! I leap off the bike, letting it down with a crash on the curb, and scramble to about arms reach of the miscreant. Fortunately, my cleats cause me to fall and he eludes my grasp. (I must weigh 50 pounds more than he does- and there were many people looking on- what was I going to do if I caught him? Thrash him on the street?) I must be satisfied that perhaps I scared him enough to think twice before shying a stone at someone else.

As I continued on my way, I thought of much better and pointed things to have shouted at him as he ran away other than the "You should be more careful that you don't throw rocks at people who can come after you!" Perhaps my language was cruder than that and I likely made slights at his immediate heritage. I doubt it was either seemly or productive. (Later I wished I had the presence of mind to say something like this: "You are a coward! Throwing stones when my back is turned! Run away! But we both know that you are a coward!)

I guess we must decide if we want to change the future behavior of our antagonists, or if we want the emotional satisfaction of revenge? If it is the former, do your best to be polite, know what you want to communicate (Make a plan now) and be generous.

I believe that this response, while not likely to give emotional satisfaction nor immediate agreement from the driver, they will later reflect on it and temper their response to cyclists. I know that I hear the content of messages given calmly and politely better then those shouted in anger. Remember that in your next confrontation, you will be representing all of us to that guy.

Cheers!

I have complained about Utah, and the lack of &%)*&%^*)(*,,,,,, but,,, for the most part, 90% of the drivers are cool, then you get the tenth one,, 50 in a 25mph, cutting off peds and cycles, I can't belive I am going to say this, This one fat chick in a minivan got a ticket 2 days in a row,,,for once I was glad to see a cop, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.,, but I got to watch.

I snapped only once, but on foot.

I was crossing an intersection on the green & the usual profile (guy under 30 in a big late model pickup, & his girlfriend incidentally) started driving right through me. I happened to be carrying a walking stick, so i wheeled & slammed the stick right against the left panel of his truck. The hero took off at high speed.

Not like me at all, but aside from the questionable wisdom of my action, i felt a great sense of satisfaction, & payback for all the many, many times i'd been near-sideswiped by motorists.

Once I had a car drive by and throw a damn cheese burger at me. Hit me too.

The worst was when I was a kid though (probably 12ish). I was riding my BMX bike on the sidewalk but heading against traffic. We were riding along a busy 2 lane road. Some car threw a Big Gulp out the window and it clocked me right in the chest. I lost it and crashed hard. Luckily I fell to the left and not into the street. My buddy that was in front of me said the sound was unreal. The Gulp was only full of ice. To this day I can't visit a 7-11. :D

riverfever said:
Once I had a car drive by and throw a damn cheese burger at me. Hit me too.

The worst was when I was a kid though (probably 12ish). I was riding my BMX bike on the sidewalk but heading against traffic. We were riding along a busy 2 lane road. Some car threw a Big Gulp out the window and it clocked me right in the chest. I lost it and crashed hard. Luckily I fell to the left and not into the street. My buddy that was in front of me said the sound was unreal. The Gulp was only full of ice. To this day I can't visit a 7-11. :D
I was riding home from work one night when a crappy car went past full of young people. They shouted something and I felt something hit my head - softly.
It wasn't until a few days later that I noticed some white stuff in my helmet. I put my nose to it(dangerous I know). It was ice cream - that's what had hit me!:eek:

I was told of a guy who was out training on the open road and got hit in the head by a disposable nappy that was full of **** - literally. Yuk, :( imagine putting up with and trying to get rid of the smell.

:mad:
Snelvis said:
Yesterday I had my worst case of abuse from a car. I couldn't make out any words - it was just yelling in order to scare the s*#t out of me. Normally when this happens, I just ignore it but this group of approx 18 year olds (4 of them) decided to go around the block and repeat their yelling tactics not just one more time but 4 times in total. Twice I nearly caught up with them at the lights but to avoid me they would reverse and take off down a side street (which was extemely bad/dangerous driving)

By this stage I was fuming and after the 4th I actually armed myself with a rock and intended doing some damage to the paintwork or window. I sat in the gutter and waited for the 5th round and when they came down the street to see me waiting they did a U-Turn. The fact that 4 guys in a car were too scared to face 1 guy on a bike is evidence of their cowardice. I guess I won considering that the ran away but afterwards I was concerned at how angry it made me and how excessive my intentions were.

Doe it get anyone else this angry? Does anyone have any other ways/stories of getting back at these idiots?

I live in Newcastle, Australia which I think may be the capital of the world for this sort of behaviour. I once even had it come from a national company removalist truck (brightly coloured vehicle with logo on the side) - I took the plate number and reported this one to the head office and even received a follow up letter apologising and saying it had been dealt with.

Cheers,
Mark
:mad: yes i had the same thing happen to me the other night.Rideing along and here comes a car 1 foot away banging on the car doors,they thought i would jump or wreck ,but not me.I chased after them and got close enough to them so they could see my shiney badge. They left real quick.:)

securityman_77@ said:
:mad: :mad: yes i had the same thing happen to me the other night.Rideing along and here comes a car 1 foot away banging on the car doors,they thought i would jump or wreck ,but not me.I chased after them and got close enough to them so they could see my shiney badge. They left real quick.:)
ha ha ha

:(
Bigbananabike said:
I was riding home from work one night when a crappy car went past full of young people. They shouted something and I felt something hit my head - softly.
It wasn't until a few days later that I noticed some white stuff in my helmet. I put my nose to it(dangerous I know). It was ice cream - that's what had hit me!:eek:

I was told of a guy who was out training on the open road and got hit in the head by a disposable nappy that was full of **** - literally. Yuk, :( imagine putting up with and trying to get rid of the smell.
:( PEOPLE DO DUMB THINGS ,I DEAL with people who live on campus everyday,they think they can get away with it ,BUT!!! IF I CATCH THEM THEY WILL PAY.

:)
RedHotIron said:
I snapped only once, but on foot.

I was crossing an intersection on the green & the usual profile (guy under 30 in a big late model pickup, & his girlfriend incidentally) started driving right through me. I happened to be carrying a walking stick, so i wheeled & slammed the stick right against the left panel of his truck. The hero took off at high speed.

Not like me at all, but aside from the questionable wisdom of my action, i felt a great sense of satisfaction, & payback for all the many, many times i'd been near-sideswiped by motorists.
:) WAY TO GO WE MUST STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHTS. I SALUTE YOU SIR

danaarazi said:
My biggest problem I have is I never can remember or see the license in time, though I agree 100% about any driver using his car to threaten you is like assault with a deadly weapon. Its like me pulling a loaded gun on anyone whom I dislike or dislike the actions of (whihc happens many times a day) and then holstering the gun and walking away like I had the right to let them see there lives flash in front of there eyes.

I'm in Windsor, Ontario and my last encounter was with a Ferrari F430. The guy cut me off and i used some pretty foul language and of coarse a guy with absolutely no guts decided to come back around the block and tried to cream me. I was on a Norco Trash Metal BMX and had no fear of this idiot. The second he came around the corner and tried to hit me I hit my front brakes and did an endo kicked the back of my bike and put my pegs through his headlight and scratched his paint up pretty badly. After some intense yelling someone eventually called the police and they were there in minutes. After a half an hour of trying to calm us down which ended up with both of us in cuffs we finally got it settled. He got charges on him for Reckless driving, Endagerment to the public, Road rage and finally intentionally trying to do a hit and run with these adding up to over 3000 dollars and about another 5000 on his car i was let go and he got detained and put in jail until trail. He also now has to pay for impound fee's. Figure it's $75/ day at about 3 months and lotting fee's he got pretty much screwed when all he had to do was drive away.

The only answer to autoterrorism - pre-emptive strikes!:)

-- Permanent Global War Against Autoterrorism

Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and I'm amazed, although not suprised, reading all these stories. I have started using video cameras for my revenge. A guy in a white SUV buzzed me on a 2 lane road so I followed him into his neighborhood a couple blocks down the road and tried to talk calmly to him. He told me to get lost, so I called the cops, showed them the video and now he has a $186 ticket to deal with.
http://bikesafer.blogspot.com/2008/02/186-and-3-points.html

Many many moons ago an arrogant so and so cut me up and when I confronted the afore said driver I recieved nothing but verbal abuse ! With the blood boiling I walked past the car with my dog later that night and it got a severe case of brake fluid respray !!!!:D
And another (in the same street) was 'attacked' with a seal remover (a very very sharp auger !
Live by the sword - die by the sword ! :D