Abuses Of This NewsGroup

Walney

Guest
This formerly excellent newsgroup is being swamped by spam. Can
nothing be done to prevent this?

Naive non-techie

Martin Borsje

Guest
Walney formulated on maandag :
> This formerly excellent newsgroup is being swamped by spam. Can
> nothing be done to prevent this?
>
> Naive non-techie

As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:

1. ploink every spammer using your newsreader, so at least you will not
read this postings
2. report avery spam to the abuse mail address, which is most of the
time given in the header information if the post (check you newsreader
tu uncover this info)
3. never answer to these spam posts, let alone click on the links
therein

Roger Merriman

Guest
Martin Borsje <[email protected]> wrote:

> Walney formulated on maandag :
> > This formerly excellent newsgroup is being swamped by spam. Can
> > nothing be done to prevent this?
> >
> > Naive non-techie

> As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:
>
> 1. ploink every spammer using your newsreader, so at least you will not
> read this postings

don't think you can via google groups.

> 2. report avery spam to the abuse mail address, which is most of the
> time given in the header information if the post (check you newsreader
> tu uncover this info)
> 3. never answer to these spam posts, let alone click on the links
> therein

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Paul Boyd

Guest
On 24/03/2008 10:31, Martin Borsje said,

> As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:

You missed off filtering it out, which is probably the most useful way
of losing spam! I'm not actually seeing very much spam at all here. See
the thread "OT:news.individual.net" for more info.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Martin Borsje

Guest
Roger Merriman presented the following explanation :
> Martin Borsje <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Walney formulated on maandag :
>>> This formerly excellent newsgroup is being swamped by spam. Can
>>> nothing be done to prevent this?
>>>
>>> Naive non-techie

>> As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:
>>
>> 1. ploink every spammer using your newsreader, so at least you will not
>> read this postings

> don't think you can via google groups.

mailto:[email protected]

Martin Borsje

Guest
Paul Boyd explained :
> On 24/03/2008 10:31, Martin Borsje said,
>
>> As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:

> You missed off filtering it out, which is probably the most useful way of
> losing spam! I'm not actually seeing very much spam at all here. See the
> thread "OT:news.individual.net" for more info.

'to ploink' aka 'to filter out' (at least in the Netherlands ;-)

Roger Merriman

Guest
Martin Borsje <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman presented the following explanation :
> > Martin Borsje <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Walney formulated on maandag :

> >> As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:
> >>
> >> 1. ploink every spammer using your newsreader, so at least you will not
> >> read this postings

> > don't think you can via google groups.
> >

> mailto:[email protected]

no thats just reporting spam thats not 'plonking' aka kill filing.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Rob Morley

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Martin Borsje
[email protected]e says...
> Paul Boyd explained :
> > On 24/03/2008 10:31, Martin Borsje said,
> >
> >> As this newsgroup is non-moderated, the only things you can do is:

> > You missed off filtering it out, which is probably the most useful way of
> > losing spam! I'm not actually seeing very much spam at all here. See the
> > thread "OT:news.individual.net" for more info.

> 'to ploink' aka 'to filter out' (at least in the Netherlands ;-)

We 'plonk' over here. :)

Rob Morley

Guest
In article <fb74a281-2884-47fe-9009-e9e6a9e705e1
@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, Walney
[email protected] says...
> This formerly excellent newsgroup is being swamped by spam. Can
> nothing be done to prevent this?
>
> Naive non-techie

Don't use Google Groups to read news, get proper news client software
and use a proper news server, then you can filter out the junk.

On Mar 24, 5:25 am, Walney <[email protected]> wrote:
> This formerly excellent newsgroup is being swamped by spam.  Can
> nothing be done to prevent this?
>
> Naive non-techie

Well, one other thing you can do.

Make some on-topic posts.

Won't help with the noise, but the signal might go up.

Noticed a meadowlark calling as I rolled past a field this morning.
I'd never have heard it in the car!

Pat