abusive car drivers - help!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by helan, Jul 10, 2012.

1. helan

helan New Member

after 4 years of doing same route to work,up a hill for 10 mins before dropping into wookey hole somerset, and beyond, a new 4x4 car has arrived on my hill climb that i do into work on a country lane, single track. he has complained that im in the way and he cant get by, he only has a few yards to the next passing point, today he was very abusive to me, i told him i would contact the police for advice so he chucks his business card at me for good measure, he usually is going at around 40mph and has done fast speeds when trying to squeeze past me!!!! not fun at all.

what is everyone elses experience? what do you do in situations like this, i dont want to give up cycling into work, the alternative is bus at £6, no excercise etc etc, im dreading my next ride in, i cant pull over much as there is just hedge!

looking forward to some suggestions, ps cant change my time of travel either.......

Tags:

2. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Even when one is in the right there is no question we'll never come out of a fight with a vehicle. Ontop of that there are some people who cannot be reasoned with. I feel your pain, in a sense it's been your turf for some time and here some bully, by the sounds of it, is looking to upset things.

Sometimes the situation can be handled diplomatically, legally, or by other means. It sounds like if comes to a head it will happen either by him running you off the road, or by getting out of the truck and confronting you physically. It ultimately comes down to what you are comfortable with. If I knew any moment on this road could unfold in an unpleasant way (and if I decided to keep the same route), at the very least I would try and ride with a helmet cam to accurately record anything that happened. Bike cams would not record anything that happened while you were off the bike. The cost of a cam may be prohibitive, but barring any self defense measures, in this scenario it sounds warranted. Some may choose to avoid the road, however succumbing to a bullies measure, while our physical danger may be mitigated, our spiritual well being can be tainted. Some folks are immune to this. I don't envy your situation and hope things work out ok for you.

3. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

Keep your word... you have the business card.... go to the police (with a full description of him and the car as well as the card). Maybe they can convince him that is is obligated to be more polite. Or maybe... you're obstructing traffic. Ether way.... something should get done.

4. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

And if any further confontation does occur, you will have at least alerted the police to a potential situation that already exists.

5. blazingpedals

blazingpedals New Member

Or you can put it his ballpark. If you have words again, tell him that you're trying your best to ride according to existing laws; and if he thinks you're doing something improperly, he should complain to the police.

6. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

Suggest you contact the police right away, before the hostile driver escalates the situation. You have the right to the road, and he must by law pass you safely. In the UK, your rights as a cyclist are better protected than here in the US; there is definately no need to tolerate this hostile and potentially-dangerous driver. You'll be doing yourself and other cyclists a favor.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

+ cos(2Ï€). You gain nothing from street-side confrontations except and increased risk for yourself. The driver did you a favor by giving you his card, so do him a favor and report his actions to the cops, making sure to give them his card. It's likely he's not only a threat to cyclists but also a threat to anyone on the road that he doesn't like.