ac bicycless travel free

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Tess, May 4, 2003.

  1. Tess

    Tess Guest

    Has anybody used this service of Adventure Cycling? I am thinking of joining to waive the bike fees,
    but wonder if you got a competitive airfare to your destination.

    Thanks for your input.

    Theresa

    Tags:

  2. This membership benefit is limited to NorthWest Airlines, which is a pretty big limitation
    unless you happen to live in a NorthWest hub city. There are other, better, reasons to join
    Adventure Cycling.

    "tess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Has anybody used this service of Adventure Cycling? I am thinking of joining to waive the bike
    > fees, but wonder if you got a competitive airfare to your destination.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Theresa

  3. Tess

    Tess Guest

    I wasn't clear. A group of us are going cycling abroad and do live near a NW hub. I know that there
    are other benefits, but most of the people in the group are younger and wouldn't otherwise join.

    Michael Tordoff wrote:
    > This membership benefit is limited to NorthWest Airlines, which is a pretty big limitation unless
    > you happen to live in a NorthWest hub city. There are other, better, reasons to join Adventure
    > Cycling.
    >
    > "tess" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Has anybody used this service of Adventure Cycling? I am thinking of joining to waive the bike
    >>fees, but wonder if you got a competitive airfare to your destination.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your input.
    >>
    >>Theresa

  4. Amh

    Amh Guest

    tess <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anybody used this service of Adventure Cycling? I am thinking of joining to waive the bike
    > fees, but wonder if you got a competitive airfare to your destination.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Theresa

    Actually that program has been suspended last I heard (Fall of last year).

    When it was in effect I got a bargain airfare and tried to use the Adventure cycling membership to
    get the bikes on free. But the airfare I paid didn't come up to the $300 or so minimum you need to
    get the fly free deal. It is necessary to get your tickets through the approved travel agent AC has
    a contract with. The agent accepted my coupon but the deal fell through when we didn't meet the
    minimum airfare.

    My experience about a year ago.

    Andy

  5. Amh

    Amh Guest

    tess <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anybody used this service of Adventure Cycling? I am thinking of joining to waive the bike
    > fees, but wonder if you got a competitive airfare to your destination.
    >
    > Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Theresa

    More info from the AC website.

    Adventure Cycling Association is constantly striving to find better ways to bring your bike
    along for the ride. Here are some of the options, including price comparisons for traveling with
    your bike.

    Ship Your Bike via Sports Express - Members of Adventure Cycling save $10 on shipping their
    equipment through Sports Express, a sports equipment delivery service. Sports Express will pick up
    your bike, insure it, track its delivery and even guarantee that your package will arrive on time.
    They work with you to ensure that your bike is delivered when you need it and at the best rate.
    Sports Express will arrange to pick your bike up at home or at a bike shop. Book on-line

    the promotion code "ADVCYC" toward the end of the order process to receive the discount. As a bonus,
    set up an account online and you will be registered to win a Crateworks Bike Case! Sports Express
    offers overnight, 2 or 3-day delivery.

    UPS or FedEx - Shipping ground service using UPS or Federal Express is still the least expensive
    bike shipping method, as long as you can be without your wheels for one to two weeks. You must
    drop off your bike or arrange for a pickup. If using a service such as Mail Boxes Etc. additional
    fees apply.

    Sample Shipment Los Angeles, CA to Seattle, Washington - one way UPS ground $25.06 FEDEX ground
    $16.58 Sports Express* $44.42 (2-3 day saver rate) UPS 2-day $104.68 Regular Airline transport $80

    *Exclusive Adventure Cycling program

    These rates and programs can change often so be sure to check prices before making a commitment.

    Copyright © 2003 Adventure Cycling Association. All Rights Reserved.

  6. Edward Reid

    Edward Reid Guest

    Some years ago, I used the travel agency associated with AC (Wide World of Travel) on a regular
    basis, just because they gave me better service than anyone local and gave a small kickback to AC
    when members used their service. (I don't know whether the kickback is still in effect.) They always
    gave me good service, and I'd expect that you would get the best fare available within the
    restrictions.

    Others have already pointed out that the restrictions are significant.

    I think that LAB (League of American Bicyclists) members also receive free transport on
    several airlines.

    Edward Reid