AC Shoulder Separation

f1943r

Dec 27, 2006
I have what the doctors call a AC joint separation. The AC joint is where the collarbone (clavicle) meets the highest pont of the wingbone (acromion). The separation was caused by a fall directly on my shoulder. The fall tour the ligaments that surround and stabilize the AC joint. This separation has created a bump or bulge on the top of my shoulder.

After three weeks all the soreness has gone and I have full range of motion with my shoulder. It just looks like a bone wants to stick out of my shoulder. Has anyone else have this condition? And if so do you have any long term effects? Two doctors have told me that if it is not bothering me to let it go.

Thank you

I hurt my shoulder the same way and 2+ yers later still have that bump.

It makes extra work for my tailor, but since there is no loss of funciton,I would recommend you leave it alone.

You will want to do the exercises needed to loosen up the torn muscles and tendons as they heal to preserve full range of motion (95%+ of what it was pre-fall)

f1943r said:
I have what the doctors call a AC joint separation. The AC joint is where the collarbone (clavicle) meets the highest pont of the wingbone (acromion). The separation was caused by a fall directly on my shoulder. The fall tour the ligaments that surround and stabilize the AC joint. This separation has created a bump or bulge on the top of my shoulder.

After three weeks all the soreness has gone and I have full range of motion with my shoulder. It just looks like a bone wants to stick out of my shoulder. Has anyone else have this condition? And if so do you have any long term effects? Two doctors have told me that if it is not bothering me to let it go.

Thank you

li rider said:
I hurt my shoulder the same way and 2+ yers later still have that bump.

It makes extra work for my tailor, but since there is no loss of funciton,I would recommend you leave it alone.

You will want to do the exercises needed to loosen up the torn muscles and tendons as they heal to preserve full range of motion (95%+ of what it was pre-fall)
Thank you

f1943r said:

Thank you
And now a third doc (me) will agree. But I will tell you to keep your shoulder strong by doing stretches, stabilization exercises and gradual strengthening. Work the rotator cuff muscles regularly. A-C sprains lead to early osteoarthritis of the joint and possible supraspinatus tendonitis later on.