accelerating the swim

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Billx, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I have a good bike and run (top 2) but lousy swim for my age group. What does it take to get out in
    front and stay that way in an open water swim? I had a race today where I got caught with about
    10-20 other swimmers and never broke free of them in the 1/2 mile swim.

    Tags:

  2. Topdog

    Topdog Guest

    "BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a good bike and run (top 2) but lousy swim for my age group. What does it take to get out
    > in front and stay that way in an open water swim? I had a race today where I got caught with about
    > 10-20 other swimmers and never broke free of them in the 1/2 mile swim.

    For 1/2 mi or greater distances, IMHO the thing you need to work on most is your endurance in the
    water. The more quality distance you can put in, especially in the open water, the better you will
    do. Low weight, high rep weights will help in this area too, working on things such as your lats and
    triceps. Having good cardio conditioning is helpful, but you still need to train the particular
    muscles involved. The other key element is HOW you swim it - find a good, fast, but maintainable
    pace. USE LONG, STRONG STROKES - whatever you do, don't simply use a high turnover, slip water, and
    burn out. If others get ahead of you, so be it - often the tortoise wins, especially when you have
    two other legs to do! What often happens is that people go out strong, can't maintain the pace, and
    die like a drunken sailor. So, swim your pace, and don't get sucked out and into the red zone! Now,
    if you have the chance, you might want to let a faster person go by, and then draft off of them.
    This will allow you to go faster without using as much energy. But again, don't do this if it causes
    you to burn out. You will do better if you keep a strong, sustainable pace. And, the more endurance
    you have in the water, the longer you will be able to maintain a faster pace.

  3. Harrow

    Harrow New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Topdog,

    I have experimented with weights to improve my swim, but definitely not what I would call "low weight, high rep". Although, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Could you give an example of a typical "low weight, high rep" workout?

    Thanks,
    Harrow.