Accessories for Classic European City Bikes (like the Swedish Army

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Curious, May 25, 2003.

  1. Curious

    Curious Guest

    I am itching to get a classic European city bike like the old-fashioned plain one-speeds I
    remember from my time spent as a kid visiting a lot of relatives in Copenhagen and Amsterdam. The
    bike will come -- eventually. But for now, I'm in the market for accessories for a vintage city
    bike like this.

    Specifically somewhere on the net (or in Copenhagen) where I can get the lovely old front and back
    bike lights that run from tire generators and a back bike rack that has a kind of fan-like mesh (?)
    that either expands to allow you to shove things like a grocery bag or a couple of books into it's
    side bags or allows you adding mesh-like side bags (that look like the net shopping bags your
    European aunts used).

    I already have the front pannier -- and the classic bell.

    Any body know what the heck I'm talking about and knows where I can get these things <vbg>?

    Thanks for any help and advice!

    C.

    Tags:

  2. Kristin

    Kristin Guest

    I grew to love these bikes, too, while studying in Amsterdam. Last fall I bought a Kronan (swedish
    army bike) and I love it. However, once you get to the point of purchasing, I'm afraid I cannot
    recommend their American distributor-- I experienced frustratingly innatentive customer service with
    them. However, it sounds like you will be in a position to get one in europe-- how fortunate!
    Anyway, back on topic:

    Curious <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Specifically somewhere on the net (or in Copenhagen) where I can get the lovely old front and back
    > bike lights that run from tire generators...

    http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/headlights.htm

    If you scroll down on this page to a heading that reads Dynamo Generator Lights, you will find a lot
    of options-- not all of them classic, but hopefully some will be of interest.

    Best,

    Kristin

  3. On Mon, 26 May 2003 04:52:19 GMT, Curious <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any body know what the heck I'm talking about and knows where I can get these things <vbg>?

    A cheap lighting set (dynamo, front & rear lights, and single pole cable -- you need a conducting
    frame for them to work as is) probably still sells for under $10 new here in the Netherlands. Dunno
    whether you'd call it classic though -- it's pretty much been the same design for the last 3 or 4
    decades, so it might.

    Note that these generally do not include mount points. You will be expected to have a braze-on for
    the generator, usually on the front wheel, a rear fender to fit the rear light to, and usually a
    mounting thingy that goes in the top of the headset to mount the front one from. If you've got a
    front pannier, you'll need to mount it elsewhere -- the pannier thing should have a braze-on for
    the purpose.

    Jasper

  4. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Mon, 26 May 2003 04:52:19 GMT, Curious <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Any body know what the heck I'm talking about and knows where I can get these things <vbg>?
    >
    > A cheap lighting set (dynamo, front & rear lights, and single pole cable -- you need a conducting
    > frame for them to work as is) probably still sells for under $10 new here in the Netherlands.
    > Dunno whether you'd call it classic though -- it's pretty much been the same design for the last 3
    > or 4 decades, so it might.

    Thankfully, one doesn't have to use the 1-conductor configuration -- a bit of 2-conductor lamp cord
    can be used; one lead connecting the generator and lamp terminals, the other lead connected to the
    generator and headlight support hardware. In fact I've got some colour-coded hook-up wire to do a
    prettier job of it, one of these days. I don't really like the destructive aspect of the
    1-conductor thing, with pointy screws digging into paint & metal. Also, 2-conductor is more
    reliable in wet weather.

    > Note that these generally do not include mount points. You will be expected to have a braze-on for
    > the generator, usually on the front wheel, a rear fender to fit the rear light to, and usually a
    > mounting thingy that goes in the top of the headset to mount the front one from. If you've got a
    > front pannier, you'll need to mount it elsewhere -- the pannier thing should have a braze-on for
    > the purpose.

    My old Union generator/light hardware is all clamp-on stuff. If I ever get rear panniers, I can move
    the rear wheel generator to the right chainstay and mount it "backwards". The taillight is clamped
    onto the left seatstay, but it would be a more-or-less trivial operation to mount it to the rear
    fender. All my Union headlights have hockey stick-shaped brackets emanating from them, with a slot
    to fit around the front brake bolt. But I've mounted the headlight that I'm actually using, to the
    left front fork blade. After some rummaging in a used parts bin, I found a cheap front wheel
    generator; I used its clamp-on bracket for awhile, as something onto which to mount the headlight.
    After further rummaging later on, I found a "real" bracket, designed for that purpose.

    Generator/headlight stuff is so wonderfully full of mounting options.

    All my (used) generator/headlight stuff was obtained very inexpensively from a local
    community-oriented bike shop.

    cheers, Tom