accident advice

Adam Lea

Guest
As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly brisk
pace, the cause of which I have no idea. I have three square inches of
bloody red gash on my elbow, minor cuts on my left side, a destroyed watch
and shirt, and a bent handlebar. After doing my best to clean the wounds up
I can't see any dirt in there, but do you think I should get myself checked
over anyway?

Adam

Adam Lea wrote:
> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly
> brisk pace, the cause of which I have no idea.

Did you suffer memory loss? Otherwise you should have some idea. Was there
a bump? Did you slip on a bend?

> I have three square
> inches of bloody red gash on my elbow, minor cuts on my left side, a
> destroyed watch and shirt, and a bent handlebar. After doing my best
> to clean the wounds up I can't see any dirt in there, but do you
> think I should get myself checked over anyway?

Commiserations. Never nice to come off a bike.

You might want to get a tetanus injection if you haven't had one in the last
five years. Get a checkup anyway if you have any worrying amount of pain or
immobility.

It would also be wise to visit your GP - to get your injries officially
recorded - if you find out that another vehicle or person was involved.
Perhaps the same if there was something wrong with the road.

Visit A&E or call for help straight away if you hit your head and feel sick
or faint.

~PB

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Adam Lea wrote:
>> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly
>> brisk pace, the cause of which I have no idea.

> Did you suffer memory loss? Otherwise you should have some idea. Was
> there a bump? Did you slip on a bend?

What I meant was I don't know what caused me to lose control. I was cycling
along a straight, empty road and, because it was badly lit I was
concentrating on looking out for the left turn that I needed and thus
probably wasn't concentrating enough on staying upright. I don't recall
hitting a pothole. I am grateful that I didn't hit my head on the road
otherwise I would be spending the night in hospital.

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly brisk
> pace, the cause of which I have no idea. I have three square inches of
> bloody red gash on my elbow, minor cuts on my left side, a destroyed watch
> and shirt, and a bent handlebar. After doing my best to clean the wounds
> up I can't see any dirt in there, but do you think I should get myself
> checked over anyway?

Wot Pete said. If it's clean, and everything vaguely moves in the correct
way, I'd not worry too much about it. New handlebar time though.
What you do about the elbow depends how deep the cuts are - if it's just
grazing/road rash, I'd leave it open (mind long sleeves :) ).
(If it's properly deep, you may want stitches - but I'm guessing from the
description that isn't the case.)

Otherwise, commiserations. It'll hurt for a bit but will get better! And...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7090

cheers,
clive

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> Adam Lea wrote:
>>> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly
>>> brisk pace, the cause of which I have no idea.

>> Did you suffer memory loss? Otherwise you should have some idea. Was
>> there a bump? Did you slip on a bend?
>>

> What I meant was I don't know what caused me to lose control. I was
> cycling along a straight, empty road and, because it was badly lit I was
> concentrating on looking out for the left turn that I needed and thus
> probably wasn't concentrating enough on staying upright. I don't recall
> hitting a pothole. I am grateful that I didn't hit my head on the road
> otherwise I would be spending the night in hospital.

Diesel on the road?

In article <[email protected]>, Adam Lea
<[email protected]> writes

>What I meant was I don't know what caused me to lose control. I was cycling
>along a straight, empty road and, because it was badly lit I was
>concentrating on looking out for the left turn that I needed and thus
>probably wasn't concentrating enough on staying upright. I don't recall
>hitting a pothole. I am grateful that I didn't hit my head on the road
>otherwise I would be spending the night in hospital.

Regarding my two recent accidents, the first (in which I bumped and cut
my head among other things), was caused by the wheels slipping on wet
manhole covers as I tried to negotiate the roundabout in which they were
set at the foot of a slight incline. I was taken to hospital where my
head wound was closed and painkillers administered, and though I don't
think I suffered concussion (I remember falling and sliding face down on
tarmac after the wheels left me), I don't remember whether I was given a
tetanus shot.

The second accident didn't involve an impact or injury to the head, but
I can't remember why I was cycling so close to the gutter that my wheel
became trapped there before a lamp post abruptly halted my progress.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

On Thu, 8 May 2008 05:58:47 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Did you suffer memory loss? Otherwise you should have some idea. Was
>>> there a bump? Did you slip on a bend?
>>>

>> What I meant was I don't know what caused me to lose control. I was
>> cycling along a straight, empty road and, because it was badly lit I was
>> concentrating on looking out for the left turn that I needed and thus
>> probably wasn't concentrating enough on staying upright. I don't recall
>> hitting a pothole. I am grateful that I didn't hit my head on the road
>> otherwise I would be spending the night in hospital.

>Diesel on the road?

I would go and examine the road in daylight. You may find the reason.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

In article <[email protected]>, Doki
[email protected] says...

> > What I meant was I don't know what caused me to lose control.

> Diesel on the road?

That's my excuse for a couple of very rapid unexpected encounters with
the tarmac, both on sharp left downhill bends on bus routes. I've also
lost it on the downhill approach to T-junctions, but not as quickly
because I wasn't leaning into a bend.

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> writes:

> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly brisk
> pace, the cause of which I have no idea. I have three square inches of
> bloody red gash on my elbow, minor cuts on my left side, a destroyed watch
> and shirt, and a bent handlebar. After doing my best to clean the wounds up
> I can't see any dirt in there, but do you think I should get myself checked
> over anyway?

Unless you plan on claiming against someone or something (but it
doesn't sound like you do) and need a report of the injuries, then
personally I would stay in bed and not bother. This is not medical
advice. Be prepared to feel much stiffer and creakier in the morning,
though.

Words to google for: melolin, jelonet

Consider getting the handlebar checked/replaced, you don't want it to
fail unexpectedly - that way lies dentistry

-dan

Adam Lea wrote:
> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly brisk
> pace, the cause of which I have no idea. I have three square inches of
> bloody red gash on my elbow, minor cuts on my left side, a destroyed watch
> and shirt, and a bent handlebar. After doing my best to clean the wounds up
> I can't see any dirt in there, but do you think I should get myself checked
> over anyway?

Gashes and grazes tend to heal quicker than friction burns. If it is
just a graze I would leave it open to the air. If it is a friction burn
(i.e. caused by wearing a nylon/synthetic top) I might put some
antiseptic/antibiotic cream like Bruilidine on it.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 8 May 2008 05:58:47 +0100, "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> in
>>> message news:[email protected]...

>>> What I meant was I don't know what caused me to lose control. I was
>>> cycling along a straight, empty road and, because it was badly lit I was
>>> concentrating on looking out for the left turn that I needed and thus
>>> probably wasn't concentrating enough on staying upright. I don't recall
>>> hitting a pothole. I am grateful that I didn't hit my head on the road
>>> otherwise I would be spending the night in hospital.

>>Diesel on the road?

> I would go and examine the road in daylight. You may find the reason.

I have just had a look at the road. At the point just before I came off I
noticed a long thin pothole in the middle of the road, which may have acted
like a tramline, trapping one of my wheels. There was a parked car on the
roadside which would have necessitated moving to the centre of the road at
that point.

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Adam Lea wrote:
>> As I was nearing home this eveninng I came off my bike at a fairly
>> brisk pace, the cause of which I have no idea.

>> I have three square
>> inches of bloody red gash on my elbow, minor cuts on my left side, a
>> destroyed watch and shirt, and a bent handlebar. After doing my best
>> to clean the wounds up I can't see any dirt in there, but do you
>> think I should get myself checked over anyway?

> You might want to get a tetanus injection if you haven't had one in the last
> five years.

In a similar circumstance I was told (in A&E) that the current thinking
is that any tetanus booster in adult life will not need a top-up.

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

"Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote

[snip]

> I have just had a look at the road. At the point just before I came
> off I noticed a long thin pothole in the middle of the road, which
> may have acted like a tramline, trapping one of my wheels. There
> was a parked car on the roadside which would have necessitated
> moving to the centre of the road at that point.

You would perform a service for other cyclists if you reported the
problem to the council.

If someone else has already reported the problem, long enough ago
that the council ought to have fixed the problem by now, then the
council should be liable for the accident

Jeremy Parker

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Adam Lea" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> [snip]
>
>> I have just had a look at the road. At the point just before I came off I
>> noticed a long thin pothole in the middle of the road, which may have
>> acted like a tramline, trapping one of my wheels. There was a parked car
>> on the roadside which would have necessitated moving to the centre of the
>> road at that point.

> You would perform a service for other cyclists if you reported the problem
> to the council.
>
> If someone else has already reported the problem, long enough ago that the
> council ought to have fixed the problem by now, then the council should be
> liable for the accident
>
> Jeremy Parker

I have reported it late last week through their website. Had no response
though.