Accident/Insurance advice

marcusl wrote:

> ritcho wrote:
> > Sorry to hear about the accident and I'm glad you're
> > ok. I once worked on a research project for an
> > insurance company, examining accident claims. My
> > advice (fwiw) is to get your quote but also get an
> > assessment of the pre-accident value of your bike. If
> > it is more costly to restore your bike to its pre-
> > accident condition, it will be cheaper for the
> > insurance company to cut you a cheque (as well as
> > being the correct settlement for the damage to your
> > property). You'll (probably) need to have a qualified
> > insurance assessor to do that for you - a quote for a
> > new bike from the shop won't do. Once you have the
> > information, a letter of demand is a pretty powerful
> > tool for making the other insurance company move. From
> > the research I had done, the letter needs to be
> > addressed to the insured, not the company. After all,
> > the insured is liable, whilst the insurer has entered
> > a separate arrangement to indemnify the insured. Good
> > luck, Ritch.
> > PS. F***ing 4wds!
>
> How do you find a qualified insurance assessor for
> bicycles? Might give BNSW a call they may know if there is
> one in Sydney.... How do you get a pre-accident value
> assessment of your bike if it's not from a bike
> shop...hmm....don't have the receipts...actually got it
> from my brother in law who USED to run a bike shop on the
> Gold Coast for an extreme discount ($700 instead of $1500)
> As for the letter, i read somewhere to send it to both the
> insured and their insurer....it was actually his dad's car
> and is probably insured thus....but i don't have his
> fathers name.... Defintley more research required! In a
> way I'm kind of glad it was a 4wd...if it had've been
> lower then i would have been catapulted over the top and
> landed who knows how.... thanks for the advice marcus
>
> --

Most insurance companies are a bit strict on who can value
the bike, so give the insurer a call and check your
options. T

I was hit by someone running a red light about 18 months
ago. She had full comprehensive insurance and lodged a claim
with her insurer (NRMA). Just by quoting who & when I was
able to claim against NRMA - mostly by phone. Just got the
bike quote for **everything** & sent it
in. Then hassled them for a month+ as they lost/passed
on/etc my claim. Bike Addiction did a great job on the
quote - repair cost far exceeded replacement.

You might also want to look at the Motor Accident Authority
(MAA) website. It's mainly for your third party personal
injury. So you don't have to pay any medical/physio bills
yourself. If you were on your way to/from work, you can
claim personal injury costs from workers comp insurance, who
will pass it on to the other guys insurer anyway.

good luck with it

Al.