accident report

I luv the line in the report: had the teen stopped at the scene of the accident, it would have been
a simple traffic citation (for killing one one child and mangling another child). Gee what could she
get here...loss of 2 demerit points on her licence...one point per kid! The value of human life
reduced to a slap on the wrist totally sucks.

"John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/archive/2003/01/28/crash.DTL

"Coffman" most likely is a police spokesperson of some sort. But "Huffman", Doug, is a cruel bitter
person. No child riding a bike deserves to die. I'm glad the weather was too cold for my planned Mt.
Pleasant SC ride last week as I passed your area. Bad vibes are not only a California thing.

C.C.,Rider

> From: "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Wed, 29 Jan
> 2003 07:26:46 -0500 Subject: Re: accident report
>
> Who the heck is "Coffman," the 'speaker' in the article?
>
> Kalifornistanians are getting what they deserve - government, life style and environment. I am
> sometimes not sorry that I left my California home in 1969.
>
> "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>

> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/archive/2003/01/28/crash.DTL

Felony hit and run? What about the vehicular manslaughter charge? Sheesh.

-- Robert

news:<[email protected]>...
> I luv the line in the report: had the teen stopped at the scene of the accident, it would have
> been a simple traffic citation (for killing one one child and mangling another child). Gee what
> could she get here...loss of 2 demerit points on her licence...one point per kid! The value of
> human life reduced to a slap on the wrist totally sucks.
>
> "John Riley" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >

> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/archive/2003/01/28/crash.DTL

The correct quote contains the word "could" not "would"

Quote:

"charges that Coffman said could have been reduced to as little as a traffic citation had she
stopped at the scene. "

Here is what I suspect. If the driver had stopped and the investigation showed that the children
were somehow at fault (Which I doubt), a traffic ticket might have been the only thing issued.
But... since the driver fled, felony charges will be filed regardless of fault.

I believe that a child died because of ignorant and reckless driving on the part of a youth. In
Arizona in the past week two youths driving with only driver's permits and no adults aboard where
involved in fatal accidents. In the past two days, there have been four accidents involving students
coming to my college.

People continue to take less and less responsibility for the consequences of their actions and for
the actions of their children.
i.e. McDonalds made my child fat, not my parenting skills.

But I'm rambling. My prayers go out to the families involved. This is tragic.

Bill Meacham Mesa, AZ

Offense like beauty lies in the eyes and ears of the beholder. My tears do nothing useful but harden
my heart against fools.

Carol Cohen wrote:

> "Coffman" most likely is a police spokesperson of some sort. But "Huffman", Doug, is a cruel
> bitter person. No child riding a bike deserves to die...

... whether it is from being run over by an automobile, shot by trigger-happy soldiers in an
occupied territory or policemen in the inner city, or as "collateral damage" in an unjust and
unnecessary war.

Tom: You didn't mention "or being blown to pieces by extremist terrorist murderers while riding a
bus to school".

To my way of thinking it would be almost impossible to come up with a circumstance where
children deserve to die. It certainly wouldn't be limited to the examples inspired by your
particular ideology.