Accident: wind and 4x4

Mark Thompson

Guest
Whilst pouring beer on my cornflakes I heard a particularly violent gust of
wind followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.

<http://tinyurl.com/3x84u3> [1]

The best bit is that, according to Plod, he wasn't insured. Mwa-ha-ha.
Actually, the best bit was feeding bits of the tree into the shredder
thingy - I NEED one.

[1] leads to:
<www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00/361847295/in/set-72157594346970347/>

Mark Thompson wrote:

> Whilst pouring beer on my cornflakes I heard a particularly violent gust of
> wind followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/3x84u3> [1]
>
> The best bit is that, according to Plod, he wasn't insured. Mwa-ha-ha.
> Actually, the best bit was feeding bits of the tree into the shredder
> thingy - I NEED one.

Oh dear. I see that the impact has caused the car to bounce onto the
pavement too. :)

--
Dave...

On 18 Jan 2007, Mark Thompson <> wrote:

> followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.

Four trees conspired to spoil my day today.

I set off from Horsham at about midday, to go to Leatherhead. This
should take 29 minutes. It took me over four hours.

Two fallen trees somewhere in teh network conspired to delay the train
I wanted long enough that they arranged a bus. We got half way to
Dorking on teh bus when driving along a country lane came across a
fallen tree across teh road. The bus driver announced he wasn't going
to reverse two miles down the lane to get out. A passing postman
produced a chainsaw (!) but it wouldn't start. Despite this, the
able-bodied passengers moved the tree enough to get the bus past. At
Dorking we transferred onto a train, which got three-quarters of teh
way to Leatherhead before announcing a fallen tree ahead meant it was
going back. We sat for quite a while at Box Hill station, then I gave
up and phoned my wife to come and get me in the car.

> Actually, the best bit was feeding bits of the tree into the shredder
> thingy - I NEED one.

I find my shredder strangely addictive. It's not a tree-surgeon one,
but it's a toothed roller that eats decent size branches. If you buy
one, it requires great self-control to prevent clearing your entire
garden down to soil level...

Err, on topic: it would have been quicker to cycle?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2007, Mark Thompson <> wrote:
>
> > followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.

:))

> Four trees conspired to spoil my day today.

It was just a single tree that did me in.
Tonight I have an inch long bleeding gash on the forehead as the tree
decided to headbutt me as I was struggling with a blown down fence panel
:-(

John B

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:44:06 +0000, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Ian Smith wrote:
>
>> On 18 Jan 2007, Mark Thompson <> wrote:
>>
>> > followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.

>:))
>
>> Four trees conspired to spoil my day today.

>It was just a single tree that did me in.
>Tonight I have an inch long bleeding gash on the forehead as the tree
>decided to headbutt me as I was struggling with a blown down fence panel
>:-(

A strong case for wearing a h*lm*t.

Level 1 cycle training today in the playground. I did my risk
assessment and decided that as the children would be wearing h*lm*ts
the risk from falling branches would be mitigated.

It was lovely how the rain in London cleared up at 1.30 before
starting again at 3.30, thereby giving me a dry lesson.

> Whilst pouring beer on my cornflakes I heard a particularly violent
> gust of wind followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a
> 4x4.
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/3x84u3> [1]

Found this photo, same storm but different country. Must've been a heavy
bike!

<www.nowpublic.com/today_1__>

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:44:06 +0000, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >It was just a single tree that did me in.
> >Tonight I have an inch long bleeding gash on the forehead as the tree
> >decided to headbutt me as I was struggling with a blown down fence panel
> >:-(

> A strong case for wearing a h*lm*t.

Ah, but there were no parents around ;-)

....and I can't wear one now as it would rub across and aggravate the
'injury' :)

> It was lovely how the rain in London cleared up at 1.30 before
> starting again at 3.30, thereby giving me a dry lesson.

Someone up there rides a bike :)

John B

?

> is that, according to Plod, he wasn't insured.

Ah, but was the owner of the tree?

--
Matt B

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:39:10 +0000, Matt B <"matt.bourke"@nospam.london.com>
wrote:

>Mark Thompson wrote:
>> Whilst pouring beer on my cornflakes I heard a particularly violent gust of
>> wind followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/3x84u3> [1]
>>
>> The best bit

>?
>
>> is that, according to Plod, he wasn't insured.

>Ah, but was the owner of the tree?

It was a 4x4, and illegally parked at that. Clearly, any damage done must be an
Act of God and so uninsurable, since the car owner was morally corrupt and had
it coming. He's lucky the punishment came in this life, and not the next.

Marc Brett wrote on 19/01/2007 11:29 +0100:

> It was a 4x4, and illegally parked at that. Clearly, any damage done
> must be an Act of God and so uninsurable, since the car owner was
> morally corrupt and had it coming. He's lucky the punishment came in
> this life, and not the next.

Coming soon after The Man who Sued God was on TV - with Billy Connolley
as a retired lawyer whose boat had been struck by lightning and sued God
as represented by the Church when the insurance refused to pay for an
Act of God. An amusing light film to watch apparently based on a true
story.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268437/

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I like this one where a BMW has been converted to a skip lorry:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6278063.stm>

Mark Thompson wrote:
> > Whilst pouring beer on my cornflakes I heard a particularly violent
> > gust of wind followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a
> > 4x4.
> >
> > <http://tinyurl.com/3x84u3> [1]

> Found this photo, same storm but different country. Must've been a heavy
> bike!
>
> <www.nowpublic.com/today_1__>

Now that was some determined bicycle thief!

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ian Smith wrote:
>
>> On 18 Jan 2007, Mark Thompson <> wrote:
>>
>> > followed by the loud "thrump" of a tree smashing into a 4x4.

> :))
>
>> Four trees conspired to spoil my day today.

> It was just a single tree that did me in.
> Tonight I have an inch long bleeding gash on the forehead as the tree
> decided to headbutt me as I was struggling with a blown down fence panel
> :-(

No sympathy. You shouldn't have been trying to carry it on your bike in this
wind!!

:eek:)

(Seriously - hope all heals soon and not TOO painfully)

Regards
--
IanH