Accommodation in Mallorca

Phil Bixby

Guest
Hi Folks

My partner and I are off to Mallorca for a week in March - flying to Palma and cycling up to the
Pollensa area and then back down, exploring along the way. We'd like to spend a day or two around
the central plain (my uncomplaining travelling companion isn't wild about hills, not for cycling up
anyway) but are finding it hard to track down accommodation. Most in the guides is in the walking
areas, most on the web is in the £100+ per night category. Does anyone have any contact details for
affordable (say under £60/night for a double room, if that's not unbearably cheapskate)
accommodation in the middle of the island - Sineu / Montuiri / Petra / Lloret de Vista Allegre / or
anywhere nearby etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Phil Bixby York, UK

"Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Folks
>
> My partner and I are off to Mallorca for a week in March - flying to Palma and cycling up to the
> Pollensa area and then back down, exploring along
the
> way. We'd like to spend a day or two around the central plain (my uncomplaining travelling
> companion isn't wild about hills, not for cycling up anyway) but are finding it hard to track down
> accommodation. Most in
the
> guides is in the walking areas, most on the web is in the £100+ per night category. Does anyone
> have any contact details for affordable (say under £60/night for a double room, if that's not
> unbearably cheapskate) accommodation in the middle of the island - Sineu / Montuiri / Petra /
> Lloret de Vista Allegre / or anywhere nearby etc?

Sounds a bit weird, but there are monasteries in Mallorca that offer accomodation at a very
reasonable price:-

http://www.mallorcanow.com/pages/gen-acc1.html

Lluc is in the hills (and rather commercial), and I think Alaro is too, but check out the others -
accomodations is comfortable but spartan, and remarkably cheap.

IMO, the plain area of Mallorca will be a trifle boring - it's flat and empty. The road from Soller
to Pollenca is "entertaining" - it rises from sea level to 1036m, but it's a very enjoyable and
unbelievably beautiful ride - and you can stop at the Lluc monastery and fill your bottles from the
natural spring there.

The Spanish tourist office http://www.tourspain.co.uk/ produces a leaflet listing pretty well every
hotel and pension in the Balearic islands with an indication of prices and facilities. They may also
be able to give other info on a cycling trip. Rough Guide print a mini-guide to Mallorca which lists
modestly priced places in the island.

Having said that, I got the impression that there are few hotels and pensions in the central plains
area of the island.

--
Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

Thanks for that Simon, I've put in a request for the relevant brochure. Most of the info I've found
suggests that there are a few "rural retreat" sort of places (at around £120 per night - eeeek!) and
not much else; but I'd hate to get there and find there are lots of smaller ones that never make it
onto the website listings.

Best wishes Phil B

"Andrew Nightingale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:97C%[email protected]...
> The Spanish tourist office http://www.tourspain.co.uk/ produces a leaflet listing pretty well
> every hotel and pension in the Balearic islands with
an
> indication of prices and facilities. They may also be able to give other info on a cycling trip.
> Rough Guide print a mini-guide to Mallorca which lists modestly priced places in the island.
>
> Having said that, I got the impression that there are few hotels and pensions in the central
> plains area of the island.
>
> --
> Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

i got my flight via Opodo, flying with Air Europa (who incidently are part sponsors of the current
tour of majorca!) and the flight cost me £85. then booked 7 nights half board at the Hotel Tobago
(cheap and cheerful, i'll be spending most of the time on the bike hopefully) booked through
www.majorca-hotels.com which came to about £125 including single supplement. £15 for hire of bike
box and may buy a new pair of shades to pose in but all in all the whole shebang should come to
under £350...bargain

mark

> Thanks for that Simon, I've put in a request for the relevant brochure. Most of the info I've
> found suggests that there are a few "rural retreat" sort of places (at around £120 per night -
> eeeek!) and not much else; but I'd hate to get there and find there are lots of smaller ones that
> never make it onto the website listings.
>
> Best wishes Phil B
>
> "Andrew Nightingale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:97C%[email protected]...

Just realised I completely without provocation called you Simon. Apologies!!