Accommodation in Mallorca

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Phil Bixby, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Hi Folks

    My partner and I are off to Mallorca for a week in March - flying to Palma and cycling up to the
    Pollensa area and then back down, exploring along the way. We'd like to spend a day or two around
    the central plain (my uncomplaining travelling companion isn't wild about hills, not for cycling up
    anyway) but are finding it hard to track down accommodation. Most in the guides is in the walking
    areas, most on the web is in the £100+ per night category. Does anyone have any contact details for
    affordable (say under £60/night for a double room, if that's not unbearably cheapskate)
    accommodation in the middle of the island - Sineu / Montuiri / Petra / Lloret de Vista Allegre / or
    anywhere nearby etc?

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    Phil Bixby York, UK

    Tags:

  2. "Phil Bixby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks
    >
    > My partner and I are off to Mallorca for a week in March - flying to Palma and cycling up to the
    > Pollensa area and then back down, exploring along
    the
    > way. We'd like to spend a day or two around the central plain (my uncomplaining travelling
    > companion isn't wild about hills, not for cycling up anyway) but are finding it hard to track down
    > accommodation. Most in
    the
    > guides is in the walking areas, most on the web is in the £100+ per night category. Does anyone
    > have any contact details for affordable (say under £60/night for a double room, if that's not
    > unbearably cheapskate) accommodation in the middle of the island - Sineu / Montuiri / Petra /
    > Lloret de Vista Allegre / or anywhere nearby etc?

    Sounds a bit weird, but there are monasteries in Mallorca that offer accomodation at a very
    reasonable price:-

    http://www.mallorcanow.com/pages/gen-acc1.html

    Lluc is in the hills (and rather commercial), and I think Alaro is too, but check out the others -
    accomodations is comfortable but spartan, and remarkably cheap.

    IMO, the plain area of Mallorca will be a trifle boring - it's flat and empty. The road from Soller
    to Pollenca is "entertaining" - it rises from sea level to 1036m, but it's a very enjoyable and
    unbelievably beautiful ride - and you can stop at the Lluc monastery and fill your bottles from the
    natural spring there.

  3. Dransfield

    Dransfield Guest

  4. The Spanish tourist office http://www.tourspain.co.uk/ produces a leaflet listing pretty well every
    hotel and pension in the Balearic islands with an indication of prices and facilities. They may also
    be able to give other info on a cycling trip. Rough Guide print a mini-guide to Mallorca which lists
    modestly priced places in the island.

    Having said that, I got the impression that there are few hotels and pensions in the central plains
    area of the island.

    --
    Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

  5. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Thanks for that Simon, I've put in a request for the relevant brochure. Most of the info I've found
    suggests that there are a few "rural retreat" sort of places (at around £120 per night - eeeek!) and
    not much else; but I'd hate to get there and find there are lots of smaller ones that never make it
    onto the website listings.

    Best wishes Phil B

    "Andrew Nightingale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:97C%[email protected]...
    > The Spanish tourist office http://www.tourspain.co.uk/ produces a leaflet listing pretty well
    > every hotel and pension in the Balearic islands with
    an
    > indication of prices and facilities. They may also be able to give other info on a cycling trip.
    > Rough Guide print a mini-guide to Mallorca which lists modestly priced places in the island.
    >
    > Having said that, I got the impression that there are few hotels and pensions in the central
    > plains area of the island.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

  6. Mark Parsons

    Mark Parsons Guest

    i got my flight via Opodo, flying with Air Europa (who incidently are part sponsors of the current
    tour of majorca!) and the flight cost me £85. then booked 7 nights half board at the Hotel Tobago
    (cheap and cheerful, i'll be spending most of the time on the bike hopefully) booked through
    www.majorca-hotels.com which came to about £125 including single supplement. £15 for hire of bike
    box and may buy a new pair of shades to pose in but all in all the whole shebang should come to
    under £350...bargain

    mark

    > Thanks for that Simon, I've put in a request for the relevant brochure. Most of the info I've
    > found suggests that there are a few "rural retreat" sort of places (at around £120 per night -
    > eeeek!) and not much else; but I'd hate to get there and find there are lots of smaller ones that
    > never make it onto the website listings.
    >
    > Best wishes Phil B
    >
    > "Andrew Nightingale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:97C%[email protected]...

  7. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Just realised I completely without provocation called you Simon. Apologies!!