Accuracy of Altimeters in Heavy Rain

sergen

Jul 28, 2003
I have a Garmin Edge 305. Last night I went out for a ride and I got caught up in really heavy rain. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that it was like taking a shower with all my cycling gear on. I abandoned my ride early since it was really no fun at all.

The Edge unit worked fine in this rain apart from one thing - I noticed that the elevation and grade measurements were way out. I am guessing that this must have been excess water getting into the small holes under the unit which operate the barometric altitude?? I ran my finger under the unit to wipe away the excess water and all of a sudden my altitude jumped by 30 metres (which caused the unit to think I was on a 56% slope). Any other users experience this problem in a downpour? Annoying given that the weather here is pretty much going to rain for the next 5 months.

thanks

I have a Forerunner 305 and when it gets wet it does some goofy things too. I think moisture is the total enemy of these Garmin Gadgets. I am not too sure about the Edge 305 Water Resistance, but it would not surprise me if water was the culprit. :rolleyes:

sergen said:
I have a Garmin Edge 305. Last night I went out for a ride and I got caught up in really heavy rain. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that it was like taking a shower with all my cycling gear on. I abandoned my ride early since it was really no fun at all.

The Edge unit worked fine in this rain apart from one thing - I noticed that the elevation and grade measurements were way out. I am guessing that this must have been excess water getting into the small holes under the unit which operate the barometric altitude?? I ran my finger under the unit to wipe away the excess water and all of a sudden my altitude jumped by 30 metres (which caused the unit to think I was on a 56% slope). Any other users experience this problem in a downpour? Annoying given that the weather here is pretty much going to rain for the next 5 months.

thanks

sergen said:
I am guessing that this must have been excess water getting into the small holes under the unit which operate the barometric altitude??
thanks

Are you sure that there is a barometric component to these units? I am testing two GPS units at work and was under the impression that altitude, like speed, heading and all other parameters are worked out from satellite data.