Accuracy of Garmin Forerunner

Rivermist

Guest
I have had my Forerunner for a few weeks and love it, but was wondering how accurate it is.

Today I ran to the local HS and did 10 laps on their track. The Forerunner showed the distance
perfectly !

I've had my Forerunner 201 for about 6 weeks now. Distances measure very close to perfect, as long
as it can get good satellite reception. I have compared to distances measuerd on my bike and in my
car. I also use Microsoft Map Point to plan out loops, and the distance is very close. Maybe out by
200m on a 32km route.

It's a cool toy. Just wish it would work in the trees. It loses the GPS signal a lot in the trees,
and around tall buildings, and it does a crappy job of recalculating after a lost signal.

Rivermist wrote:
> I have had my Forerunner for a few weeks and love it, but was wondering how accurate it is.
>
> Today I ran to the local HS and did 10 laps on their track. The Forerunner showed the distance
> perfectly !

The track is off by 14.732".

Bill "parade wetter" S.

I have a Timex Bodylink and my girlfriend is using the Forerunner. When we go skiing together, the
Forerunner is always reporting 200-300m less than my Timex for a track lenght of about 21.5k. The
last couple of times, we tried to ski using the exact same line, skiing one behind the other. Same
thing, each time my Timex showed 200-300m more distance. I know there is some parts where both seems
to "agree" on the distance, i.e. we have the same distance readings for few k. But is some parts of
the track, the Forerunner can take a 100m lag within 3-4 k.

I don't want to say Timex is perfect and Forerunner is bad but as moburgers said, I think Forerunner
calculation following a lost of signal is not the most accurate one. Having said that, a 300m error
on a 21.5k course is only a slightly over 1% error, wich is not too bad.

SebB