Accuracy of Polar OwnIndex?

mtbnewbie

Aug 3, 2005
I got my Polar HRM over Easter, it was my 40th birthday on Saturday. It's my first one so I have been playing with it and figuring out how it works etc.

I entered my stats into the HRM and selected my activity level. According to their descriptions I would have thought that my activity level would be catogorized as low, since I haven't been on the bike over the winter, and even this spring only very occasionally.

I did the test and it gave me a score of only 28 :eek: . This was what it predicted my VO2Max would be!! :confused:

I ran the test a few more times over the last few days and continued to score 28 and 30 once.

I decided to see what effect changing my activity level to moderate would have. When I did the test with that setting I jumped to 42!! :eek: and that was with my 3 and 4 year old kids running about asking me questions.

Not sure how accurate this thing is, I wonder what I would score if I told it I was "top" :eek:

Anyone else have similar experiences?

At any rate I think I will keep it at moderate for now and use it as a comparison tool rather than as an absolute number. Still it was rather surprising that I jumped 14 points by just changing how active I said I was. Not bad for a few button pushes! :p
The manual also has a table that scores the number into a fitness scale from 1 (very low) to 7 (Elite) based on your age and sex.
My first numbers were scored at 2 (low), my new numbers are in the 5 (good) range, a jump of 3 levels!