ACE inhibitors = glorified bloodletting?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by doe, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. doe

    doe Guest

    Since ACE inhibitors are iron binders .. would they then be just .. glorified
    bloodletting ..?

    <<snip>>
    are iron chelators specially enalapril
    <<snip>>

    Rev Port Cardiol. 1992 May;11(5):425-30. Related Articles, Links

    [Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors as neutralizers of hydroxyl radical]

    [Article in Portuguese]

    Mira ML, Silva MM, Queiros MJ, Manso C.

    Instituto de Quimica Fisiologica. Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa.

    Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors are utilized in the treatment of
    essential hypertension and of chronic cardiac failure. They are also employed
    in the treatment of the myocardial lesion of ischemia-reperfusion, which
    involves oxygen free radicals. In the present study we investigated the
    possibility of three angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (captopril,
    enalapril, lisinopril) to act as hydroxyl radical scavengers. The rate
    constants for reactions of those compounds with .OH were determined using the
    deoxyribose method. All three compounds proved to be good scavengers of .OH
    with rate constants of about 10(10)M-1s-1 and are iron chelators specially
    enalapril. The fact that captopril possesses a thiol group does not confer an
    higher antioxidative capacity. These results suggest that scavenging of oxygen
    free radicals may be a possible mechanism contributing to the therapeutic
    effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.

    PMID: 1325814 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    ------

    Who loves ya.
    Tom
    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
    Man Is A Herbivore! http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

    Tags:

  2. doe

    doe Guest

    >Subject: ACE inhibitors = glorified bloodletting?
    >From: [email protected]oe (doe)
    >Date: 9/28/2003 3:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time
    >
    >Since ACE inhibitors are iron binders .. would they then be just .. glorified
    >bloodletting ..?
    >
    ><<snip>>
    >are iron chelators specially enalapril
    ><<snip>>
    >
    >Rev Port Cardiol. 1992 May;11(5):425-30. Related Articles, Links
    >

    >[Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors as neutralizers of hydroxyl
    >radical]
    >
    >[Article in Portuguese]
    >
    >Mira ML, Silva MM, Queiros MJ, Manso C.
    >
    >Instituto de Quimica Fisiologica. Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa.
    >
    >Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors are utilized in the treatment of
    >essential hypertension and of chronic cardiac failure. They are also employed
    >in the treatment of the myocardial lesion of ischemia-reperfusion, which
    >involves oxygen free radicals. In the present study we investigated the
    >possibility of three angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (captopril,
    >enalapril, lisinopril) to act as hydroxyl radical scavengers. The rate
    >constants for reactions of those compounds with .OH were determined using the
    >deoxyribose method. All three compounds proved to be good scavengers of .OH
    >with rate constants of about 10(10)M-1s-1 and are iron chelators specially
    >enalapril. The fact that captopril possesses a thiol group does not confer an
    >higher antioxidative capacity. These results suggest that scavenging of
    >oxygen
    >free radicals may be a possible mechanism contributing to the therapeutic
    >effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.
    >
    >PMID: 1325814 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    >------

    This nurse seems to think ace inhibitors ARE .. just glorified bloodletting ..
    ?

    >Thirty years ago taking out 500 mls. of blood was an accepted

    treatment for Severe Pulmonary Edema. First IV Lasix and 02 and if
    that didnt work they got out the phlebotomy kit.<