ACE inhibitors = glorified bloodletting?

doe

Guest
Since ACE inhibitors are iron binders .. would they then be just .. glorified
bloodletting ..?

<<snip>>
are iron chelators specially enalapril
<<snip>>

Rev Port Cardiol. 1992 May;11(5):425-30. Related Articles, Links

[Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors as neutralizers of hydroxyl radical]

[Article in Portuguese]

Mira ML, Silva MM, Queiros MJ, Manso C.

Instituto de Quimica Fisiologica. Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa.

Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors are utilized in the treatment of
essential hypertension and of chronic cardiac failure. They are also employed
in the treatment of the myocardial lesion of ischemia-reperfusion, which
involves oxygen free radicals. In the present study we investigated the
possibility of three angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (captopril,
enalapril, lisinopril) to act as hydroxyl radical scavengers. The rate
constants for reactions of those compounds with .OH were determined using the
deoxyribose method. All three compounds proved to be good scavengers of .OH
with rate constants of about 10(10)M-1s-1 and are iron chelators specially
enalapril. The fact that captopril possesses a thiol group does not confer an
higher antioxidative capacity. These results suggest that scavenging of oxygen
free radicals may be a possible mechanism contributing to the therapeutic
effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.

PMID: 1325814 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

------

Who loves ya.
Tom
Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
Man Is A Herbivore! http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore
DEAD PEOPLE WALKING http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/deadpeoplewalking

>Subject: ACE inhibitors = glorified bloodletting?
>From: [email protected]oe (doe)
>Date: 9/28/2003 3:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time
>
>Since ACE inhibitors are iron binders .. would they then be just .. glorified
>bloodletting ..?
>
><<snip>>
>are iron chelators specially enalapril
><<snip>>
>
>Rev Port Cardiol. 1992 May;11(5):425-30. Related Articles, Links
>

>[Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors as neutralizers of hydroxyl
>radical]
>
>[Article in Portuguese]
>
>Mira ML, Silva MM, Queiros MJ, Manso C.
>
>Instituto de Quimica Fisiologica. Faculdade de Medicina de Lisboa.
>
>Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors are utilized in the treatment of
>essential hypertension and of chronic cardiac failure. They are also employed
>in the treatment of the myocardial lesion of ischemia-reperfusion, which
>involves oxygen free radicals. In the present study we investigated the
>possibility of three angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (captopril,
>enalapril, lisinopril) to act as hydroxyl radical scavengers. The rate
>constants for reactions of those compounds with .OH were determined using the
>deoxyribose method. All three compounds proved to be good scavengers of .OH
>with rate constants of about 10(10)M-1s-1 and are iron chelators specially
>enalapril. The fact that captopril possesses a thiol group does not confer an
>higher antioxidative capacity. These results suggest that scavenging of
>oxygen
>free radicals may be a possible mechanism contributing to the therapeutic
>effect of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors.
>
>PMID: 1325814 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

>------

This nurse seems to think ace inhibitors ARE .. just glorified bloodletting ..
?

>Thirty years ago taking out 500 mls. of blood was an accepted

treatment for Severe Pulmonary Edema. First IV Lasix and 02 and if
that didnt work they got out the phlebotomy kit.<