Acera group

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jasper Janssen, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. I've got a bare (hybrid) frame & fork that I'd like to build up again, mostly to get the experience
    of doing it, and partly to have a bike afterwards. A store near[1] here is selling a complete Acera
    3x7 groupset including hubs, just ex headset, for 150 euros. Is relatively cheap, easy, and almost
    guaranteed to be at least compatible with itself. Are there any particular bits of Acera
    drivetrain/shifter/brakes/hubs that are bad enough that doing that is a bad idea? Alternatively, are
    there any shops anywhere in the world that do low-end equipment, possibly with better prices? Most
    online shops seem mainly interested in selling me 105/Deore or better gear, which is really more
    than the pricepoint I want to pay.

    Jasper (Also, for reasons of availability of spares, tools, and parts themselves, have decided
    against Campagnolo.)

    [1] Well, it's in the country, anyway.

    Tags:

  2. Ron Abramson

    Ron Abramson Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:07:16 +0000, Jasper Janssen wrote:

    > Are there any particular bits of Acera drivetrain/shifter/brakes/hubs that are bad enough that
    > doing that is a bad idea?

    Acera cranks are pretty heavy. You might be better off swapping that out.

  3. On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 13:12:44 GMT, Ron Abramson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:07:16 +0000, Jasper Janssen wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any particular bits of Acera drivetrain/shifter/brakes/hubs that are bad enough that
    >> doing that is a bad idea?
    >
    >Acera cranks are pretty heavy. You might be better off swapping that out.

    Well, it's not so much heavy I care about as it is function and durability. I'm dragging around so
    much extra weight right now that liposuction would probably give a better weight/dollar ratio than
    many upgrades in bikes.

    Jasper

  4. I had Acera components on a early 1990s mountain bike. They worked just fine. I rode in salt and
    snow a lot and needed to replace the rear derailleur after 7 years, otherwise still going strong.
    Works 90% as well as the higher end stuff, at <50% of the cost. Biggest problem may be getting a 7
    speed rear wheel and cassette...not rare, but not common these days either.

    TG

  5. On 2 Jul 2003 18:34:33 -0700, [email protected] (tony the tiger) wrote:

    >I had Acera components on a early 1990s mountain bike. They worked just fine. I rode in salt and
    >snow a lot and needed to replace the rear derailleur after 7 years, otherwise still going strong.
    >Works 90% as well as the higher end stuff, at <50% of the cost. Biggest problem may be getting a 7
    >speed rear wheel and cassette...not rare, but not common these days either.

    Well, in this group's case the hubs and cassette are included. By the time I need a new cassette,
    I'll see what's available and if I need to replace the freehub body and right shifter and go nines.

    Jasper