Aceytl-l-Carnitine

nicodemis

Oct 26, 2003
Any one used this out there.. heard good things in the 2-4gram dosage for endurance athletes.. supposedly better feeding of your mitochondria, increased metabolic rates without HR increase, jitters, etc.. You are supposed to utilize fats as energy better and promotes the burning of fat.. lots of body builders swear by it and I had a national cycling team friend resident at the Olympic Training Center swear by the stuff.. Any experiences? here's a good link for the down low hard science.
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/pr_suppl/athletes/carnitine.htm

Nico

Originally posted by nicodemis
Any one used this out there.. heard good things in the 2-4gram dosage for endurance athletes.. supposedly better feeding of your mitochondria, increased metabolic rates without HR increase, jitters, etc.. You are supposed to utilize fats as energy better and promotes the burning of fat.. lots of body builders swear by it and I had a national cycling team friend resident at the Olympic Training Center swear by the stuff.. Any experiences? here's a good link for the down low hard science.
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/pr_suppl/athletes/carnitine.htm

Nico

Upon the recommendations of others, including on-line testimonials, I have been using it, 500-1000 mg per day, for the past nine weeks. I started using it when I started on the Atkins diet. The diet is working great and I am riding as well as ever, but I have no way to know whether the carnitine has had a real effect.

Originally posted by Look381i
Upon the recommendations of others, including on-line testimonials, I have been using it, 500-1000 mg per day, for the past nine weeks. I started using it when I started on the Atkins diet. The diet is working great and I am riding as well as ever, but I have no way to know whether the carnitine has had a real effect.

FYI: L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine are not the same thing.

The acetylated form is more expensive and because it is already in an 'activated' state, it goes right to work, not being dependent on some other process in the body to be usable. That being said, it is many times more potent than the free form amino acid (L-Carnitine). Curiously enough, the acetylated form is also considered a 'nootropic' (has a positive affect on the mind).

Originally posted by Ted B
FYI: L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine are not the same thing.

The acetylated form is more expensive and because it is already in an 'activated' state, it goes right to work, not being dependent on some other process in the body to be usable. That being said, it is many times more potent than the free form amino acid (L-Carnitine). Curiously enough, the acetylated form is also considered a 'nootropic' (has a positive affect on the mind).

Sorry for the mistake. And I thought L-Carnitine was pricey.

I'll check out the other. I could use some positive mental effect.

How long should you take the Carnitine for??? I was assuming you had to cycle it as in take it for however long and then give your body a break for a similar period of time???

Originally posted by Lasalles
How long should you take the Carnitine for??? I was assuming you had to cycle it as in take it for however long and then give your body a break for a similar period of time???

L-Carnitine is an amino acid, and I see no need for cycling...except of course, that which involves you pedaling your bike. :p

As to how much (if any) good it's doing for you, only you can tell. The only Carnitine that ever did anything for me is the acetylated form, and it isn't cheap.

Thanks Ted ive tried the L Carnitine afew years ago but since ive upped my road kms (changed from Track to Road) i figured il try out the Accetyl L Carnitine.

I got some in Sydney oz last friday and it cost $65 for 50grams... I hope the stuff works because when you put the powder in ur mouth and wash it down with water it leaves your teeth feeling like uve just had an "Up And Under"...

jamie_bisson said:
I agree, Acetyl L-Carnitine is the better of the two carnitine's. However they are not as expensive as the used to be and 500g goes for $50 now. ...

I suspect that is because ALC, like so many other sports supplement compounds, is largely sourced from China these days.

Of course it was a spammer who dug up a 7 year old thread. A guy gots to ***** his product.

alienator said:
Of course it was a spammer who dug up a 7 year old thread. A guy gots to ***** his product.

Yeah, I hate to see the Golden Moldy award go to a spammer...