aches and pains - new rider

lizbiff

May 21, 2011
Hi
I am a 48 year old lady who decided to do the ride to conquer cancer in august in brisbane. I have never ridden well and only along a few cycle paths with the kids for leisure. I got a new bike (Hybrid) about 2 months ago and started training - unfortunately due to the nature of my job I struggle to do much riding during the week - but try to cycle home from work x2 a week (13km). Over the weekends I try to do an extra 10km each weekend and last weekend managed 84km averaging 16km/hr. Trouble is after going on long rides i come home and my lower back absolutely aches for a couple of days, my hands go numb during the night. During my cycling and afterwards for a couple of days I really struggle with my knees (have never had knee probs apart from when on the bike) I have had the bike professionally fitted so not sure if it is just all case of getting used to it (although thought I may have been by now???) any tips / help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to do the 200km in august but think my knees will definately give in?? hubby bought me a resistant trainer - what is the best way to train on my bike with it?? thanks guys

One point, with new riders, most try to run in too high a gear. This can cause
knee problems.

You need to pedal at between 60 and 80 rpm. Called cadence.

When you start up a hill, shift down and pedal a bit quicker.

Lower back would be the seat is too high, if you don't have
a problem with your back.

When your are trying to pedal too hard, too high a gear, you
also tend to grip the bars too tightly, causing hand problems.

You can shift down, slow down and go farther faster.

It would be nice if you could find an experienced rider
to ride with you and watch your style, this is how I got
over early problems.

okay thanks for the tips. Is very frustrating and woke up this morning deciding to pack it all in - am beginning to detest getting on the bike. I think first and foremost I will put my old seat onto my new bike asI find the new seat (more a racing slim racing style) extremely uncomfortable and so think this in itself could cause fatigue (something that often hits me - then I seem to get over it) my other seat is what I call a "big bum seat" and rather comfy. I will not actually be racing per say so feel comfort may be more beneficial at this stage. I also find I seem to be pushing on my handlebars trying to hold myself up (if you know what I mean) so maybe the seat is high although it was professionally fitted when I bought the bike (?) also just a mention that I do not use clipless pedals - have tried numerous times but just cant seem to manage them (embarrassing I know !!) but do have decent riding shoes. My knee problem is in the outer side of both knees - I know this coz hubby rubs deep heat into them and when he presses on the outer side it hurts like mad !!

The fat seats are good for short rides and may help you get started. On long rides
they can rub you the wrong way in the wrong places.

I have had my bike adjusted twice and they want to put the seat too high each time.
I may just be me, I am old......

You need to keep your knees, upper legs lined up with the top bar. You need to
pedal with the ball of your foot.

For the type of riding you do, I don't think clipless is needed at all. Maybe sometime
in the future,

I really think running in a lower gear will help your knees. Just don't try to go as fast.
You should be in one gear above what feels like you are freewheeling.

Pedal faster, go slower. You can pick up the pace as you get better.