Achiiles Tendonitis

Hello Newman

Jul 20, 2007
Any suggestions of how to deal with Achilles Tendonitis? It's only in my right tendon and I just started feeling it yesterday during my ride. I didn't ride today, but would like to continue again as soon as possible. I just started cycling this Summer and do not want to go back to square one. I'd like to keep riding if posssible.

Hello Newman said:
Any suggestions of how to deal with Achilles Tendonitis? It's only in my right tendon and I just started feeling it yesterday during my ride. I didn't ride today, but would like to continue again as soon as possible. I just started cycling this Summer and do not want to go back to square one. I'd like to keep riding if possible.
Do you have a bump at the location of the problem? How large is the bump?

I had this problem myself. First thing you must do is see your MD right away so that he/she can determine if it is a micro tear or perhaps worse. Mine was a 5% micro tear that created a very noticeable pain and a small bump at the location. I kept riding thinking it would go away. I only made it worse. I should have seen my doctor sooner rather than riding for anther 2 weeks. I was told that I needed to allow it to stay straight, not placing any additional stress from pivoting my foot from the rotation of the spin. I used tape on my foot to secure my foot from rotating and rode an indoor Life Cycle machine for a few weeks. The tendons are worse than a bone breaking. Bones heal quicker where as tendons take months. There is not enough blood flow to help it heal quicker. One of the worst things any rider can do is not get in a good warm up of at least 20 minutes using a easy gear such as 39x18 or so. Remember to spin, no mashing bigger harder gears like 53x12 out the gate. That is what I did wrong years ago. I was racing the Sea Otter RR and did not have enough time to warm up prior to the start, and as soon as the race started the pack hammered and I went into a very hard gear creating the damage. Once it begins to heal it is very important to stretch and also build strength back into the tendon BUT be very careful. Do not use heavy weights. I also made the same mistake that you are considering, to not lose fitness and continue to ride. It may suck but you have an injury and need to address it first, and deal with it. I also swam laps to keep some aerobic fitness while it healed. It has been a long time but I have to be very careful and be sure to not hammer too large of a gear doing 75 rpms or less. That is a lot of pressure on the tendons. Make an appointment to see the doctor as soon as possible and stay off of the bike for a while. Let us know what the doctor determines what the extent of the tear is.

Thanks for the reply. I don't have any kind of bump or knot of any kind. I just have tenderness in the area. This happened last week and I have stayed off the bike since then. Right now it feels good. Since I'm a coach at the local high school, I'm going to see our athletic trainer about the the condition and the proper way to tape up to keep the ankle straight. I'm not a racer of any kind, just a 41 year old guy trying to lose about 15 lbs. of unwanted fat. I'll probably get an appointment with the primary care physician to check it out. I have a feeling it has to do with the cleat placement. I have never been able to get the right cleat to feel as good as the left.

Hello Newman said:
Any suggestions of how to deal with Achilles Tendonitis? It's only in my right tendon and I just started feeling it yesterday during my ride. I didn't ride today, but would like to continue again as soon as possible. I just started cycling this Summer and do not want to go back to square one. I'd like to keep riding if posssible.
You could utilize the concept known as URICE. Not only can it help treat an achilles injury, but it can help treat many other soft tissue injuries.

Let me give you a brief overview of the concept:

Ultrasound – to treat the problem at its source and to act as a catalyst in recovery. You can use our Sonic Relief device up to 3 times daily, 5 to 10 minutes per session.

Rest- initially limit activity to prevent further injury.

Ice – apply ice 2 to 3 times daily to help reduce fluid build up in quad and reduce inflammation.

A good site to reference is http://www.aidmyachilles.com/

Compression – this will help minimize swelling

Elevation – place your legs above chest level to relieve pressure and allow fluid to drain.

URICE is just a generalized guideline for treatment. You should consult your doctor before beginning any form of treatment, as they will have the most intimate knowledge on your particular ailment.