Achilles tendonitis advise

Hobbes wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On 2005-06-28, Sethvir <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm 46, 6' x 170#, 31" waist, and am very active. I manage the back end of
>>>a large retail store, meaning a lot of lifting boxes and walking an average
>>>of 15 miles a day (measured). I bike 50+ miles a week road and trail, lift
>>>free weights twice a week, and play softball. Overall I'm really happy
>>>with
>>>my state of fitness and energy level, except...
>>>
>>>Lately I've had some pain and swelling in my lower left achilles tendon.
>>>Not debilitating, but it really stiffens up when I stop / sit for a while.
>>>I get some relief from ibuprophen, and icing helps as well. Anyone have
>>>success treating similar symptoms? I understand that "total" rest might be
>>>best, but don't want to give up my activities.

>>Keep icing it. Also consider placing a heel lift in your shoe when you're at
>>work -- and be attentive to the footwear you're using at work. Walking very
>>high mileage (15 miles a day is pretty high!) in the wrong shoe could make it
>>worse.
>>
>>Avoid anything that places stress on the tendon. Most of the exercises you're
>>doing should be OK. In particular, lifting and biking should be fine. I've
>>had achilles tendon problems, and lifting weights (even calves) didn't
>>aggravate
>>the injury at all. Softball could be a problem, because it involves a lot of
>>fast acceleration from a standstill. Half a dozen or so hard accelerations
>>is
>>already enough to aggravate it, if it's already injured. I'd recommend either
>>cutting it out, or at least look for ways to avoid running too hard when you
>>play it.

> I'm kinda shocked a runner didn't see the study on tendonitis. Lyle sent
> me a copy - I applied it and rehabbed the achilles tendonitis that had
> been bothering me for years.
>
> Heavy eccentrics. Use a heavy weight for calf raises using both legs and
> then switch to the achilles that is bothering you and lower the weight
> very, very slowly. It sounds crazy, but there was an excellent study
> done on this technique and it had a higher success rate than other
> interventions used - most notably drugs.
>
> It sounds crazy, but it really works. Do heavy eccentric calf raises
> daily if you can. If I don't have access to a calf machine I'll do a few
> reps on the stairs.

Very interesting. I wonder if this could be adapted to be used with
lateral raises to assist my wife with the medial deltoid tendonitis
she's been living with for months (after what I go through, she's not
very keen on doctors, so unless she can't move her arm she won't go).
What do you think?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Hobbes wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "bc" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> > > Lyle's theory sounds like a good one. The reason AT problems are stubborn
> > > is
> > > that there's not much blood flow to that area -- in fact the whole point of
> > > icing it is to get some circulation there. So an exercise that jump-starts
> > > a rapid tissue-repair response makes some sense. BTW, it's not the
> > > inflammation
> > > that needs to be heeled, it's actual damage to the tissue-- so when you
> > > consider that, Lyle's explanation makes sense.

> > So how can I apply it to the ITB problem (I think) that crops up after
> > ever TKD session?

> I don't think you can. The IT band is a completely different.

Figures. I've always got the wrong problem for the solution at hand.

- bc

In article <[email protected]>,
spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> Hobbes wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Keep icing it. Also consider placing a heel lift in your shoe when you're
> >>at
> >>work -- and be attentive to the footwear you're using at work. Walking very
> >>high mileage (15 miles a day is pretty high!) in the wrong shoe could make
> >>it
> >>worse.
> >>
> >>Avoid anything that places stress on the tendon. Most of the exercises
> >>you're
> >>doing should be OK. In particular, lifting and biking should be fine. I've
> >>had achilles tendon problems, and lifting weights (even calves) didn't
> >>aggravate
> >>the injury at all. Softball could be a problem, because it involves a lot
> >>of
> >>fast acceleration from a standstill. Half a dozen or so hard accelerations
> >>is
> >>already enough to aggravate it, if it's already injured. I'd recommend
> >>either
> >>cutting it out, or at least look for ways to avoid running too hard when
> >>you
> >>play it.

> > I'm kinda shocked a runner didn't see the study on tendonitis. Lyle sent
> > me a copy - I applied it and rehabbed the achilles tendonitis that had
> > been bothering me for years.
> >
> > Heavy eccentrics. Use a heavy weight for calf raises using both legs and
> > then switch to the achilles that is bothering you and lower the weight
> > very, very slowly. It sounds crazy, but there was an excellent study
> > done on this technique and it had a higher success rate than other
> > interventions used - most notably drugs.
> >
> > It sounds crazy, but it really works. Do heavy eccentric calf raises
> > daily if you can. If I don't have access to a calf machine I'll do a few
> > reps on the stairs.
> >

> Very interesting. I wonder if this could be adapted to be used with
> lateral raises to assist my wife with the medial deltoid tendonitis
> she's been living with for months (after what I go through, she's not
> very keen on doctors, so unless she can't move her arm she won't go).
> What do you think?

Yeah. I would try it for any kind of tendonitis. One problem with using
it is the movement is quite painful. And I would agree with the RICE
prescription for initial treatment. But if the problem is persistent I
would try it.

A friend of mine - who doesn't train at all - also had achilles
tendonitis. I told him about the eccentrics and he elected to go and get
a cortisone shot. He ruptured his achilles 3 weeks after the shot while
touring through New Orleans. He had numerous shots in his shoulders and
ankles over the years. I wouldn't go that route, myself.

--
Keith

"Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>
>> Hobbes wrote:

>> > I'm kinda shocked a runner didn't see the study on tendonitis. Lyle
>> > sent
>> > me a copy - I applied it and rehabbed the achilles tendonitis that had
>> > been bothering me for years.
>> >
>> > Heavy eccentrics. Use a heavy weight for calf raises using both legs
>> > and
>> > then switch to the achilles that is bothering you and lower the weight
>> > very, very slowly. It sounds crazy, but there was an excellent study
>> > done on this technique and it had a higher success rate than other
>> > interventions used - most notably drugs.
>> >
>> > It sounds crazy, but it really works. Do heavy eccentric calf raises
>> > daily if you can. If I don't have access to a calf machine I'll do a
>> > few
>> > reps on the stairs.
>> >

>> Very interesting. I wonder if this could be adapted to be used with
>> lateral raises to assist my wife with the medial deltoid tendonitis
>> she's been living with for months (after what I go through, she's not
>> very keen on doctors, so unless she can't move her arm she won't go).
>> What do you think?

> Yeah. I would try it for any kind of tendonitis. One problem with using
> it is the movement is quite painful. And I would agree with the RICE
> prescription for initial treatment. But if the problem is persistent I
> would try it.

I used to set up simple pulley systems with cheap pulleys, rope and some
kind of handle. Many times the handle were just a length of plastic pipe
with rope through it. You can go fancier too. I could then do all kinds of
simple rehab motions. With pulleys, you have a lot more options in terms of
direction and where in the movement you want the primary stress.

Just tie the rope around the weights. You can lift the weights to the proper
position. Have ease into the movement. Thenlet her have the full weight and
ease the arm down through a plane of motion that fully uses the inflamed
tendon. Like Keith said, it won't feel good. This kind of thing is often
done with the good physical therapists.

> A friend of mine - who doesn't train at all - also had achilles
> tendonitis. I told him about the eccentrics and he elected to go and get
> a cortisone shot. He ruptured his achilles 3 weeks after the shot while
> touring through New Orleans. He had numerous shots in his shoulders and
> ankles over the years. I wouldn't go that route, myself.

I can't tell you the number of people I have talked to that think a pill or
a shot will fix the problem. A ruptured achilles sounds just horrible. Can
he recover full function?

Cortisone is bad news for connective tissue.

My 2c... I spent 2 months in double ankle casts 2 years ago because both
my achilles tendons were on verge of rupture. It was like having 2 ping
pong balls in my legs, they were so swollen. After casts came off, went
to a podiatrist. I now wear custom orthotics to alleviate flat feet and
put them in good shoes - not cheap Wal-Mart ****, but good Merrills.
Have never had a problem with the achilles tendons since.

Sethvir wrote:
> I'm 46, 6' x 170#, 31" waist, and am very active. I manage the back end of
> a large retail store, meaning a lot of lifting boxes and walking an average
> of 15 miles a day (measured). I bike 50+ miles a week road and trail, lift
> free weights twice a week, and play softball. Overall I'm really happy with
> my state of fitness and energy level, except...
>
> Lately I've had some pain and swelling in my lower left achilles tendon.
> Not debilitating, but it really stiffens up when I stop / sit for a while.
> I get some relief from ibuprophen, and icing helps as well. Anyone have
> success treating similar symptoms? I understand that "total" rest might be
> best, but don't want to give up my activities.
>
> Please reply to group. TIA

In article <[email protected]>,
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> >> Very interesting. I wonder if this could be adapted to be used with
> >> lateral raises to assist my wife with the medial deltoid tendonitis
> >> she's been living with for months (after what I go through, she's not
> >> very keen on doctors, so unless she can't move her arm she won't go).
> >> What do you think?

> > Yeah. I would try it for any kind of tendonitis. One problem with using
> > it is the movement is quite painful. And I would agree with the RICE
> > prescription for initial treatment. But if the problem is persistent I
> > would try it.
> >

> I used to set up simple pulley systems with cheap pulleys, rope and some
> kind of handle. Many times the handle were just a length of plastic pipe
> with rope through it. You can go fancier too. I could then do all kinds of
> simple rehab motions. With pulleys, you have a lot more options in terms of
> direction and where in the movement you want the primary stress.
>
> Just tie the rope around the weights. You can lift the weights to the proper
> position. Have ease into the movement. Thenlet her have the full weight and
> ease the arm down through a plane of motion that fully uses the inflamed
> tendon. Like Keith said, it won't feel good. This kind of thing is often
> done with the good physical therapists.
>

> > A friend of mine - who doesn't train at all - also had achilles
> > tendonitis. I told him about the eccentrics and he elected to go and get
> > a cortisone shot. He ruptured his achilles 3 weeks after the shot while
> > touring through New Orleans. He had numerous shots in his shoulders and
> > ankles over the years. I wouldn't go that route, myself.
> >

> I can't tell you the number of people I have talked to that think a pill or
> a shot will fix the problem. A ruptured achilles sounds just horrible. Can
> he recover full function?
>
> Cortisone is bad news for connective tissue.

Yeah. They have shot directly into the friggin' tendon. Crazy. So his
tendon was so frayed they had to really stretch it to get some
connection. I doubt he'll have full ROM. Especially since he is the type
that thinks a round of golf every weekend is enough exercise.

Well. Every day actually. He is in sales.

--
Keith

Hobbes wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
>

>>Hobbes wrote:

>>>I'm kinda shocked a runner didn't see the study on tendonitis. Lyle sent
>>>me a copy - I applied it and rehabbed the achilles tendonitis that had
>>>been bothering me for years.
>>>
>>>Heavy eccentrics. Use a heavy weight for calf raises using both legs and
>>>then switch to the achilles that is bothering you and lower the weight
>>>very, very slowly. It sounds crazy, but there was an excellent study
>>>done on this technique and it had a higher success rate than other
>>>interventions used - most notably drugs.
>>>
>>>It sounds crazy, but it really works. Do heavy eccentric calf raises
>>>daily if you can. If I don't have access to a calf machine I'll do a few
>>>reps on the stairs.
>>>

>>Very interesting. I wonder if this could be adapted to be used with
>>lateral raises to assist my wife with the medial deltoid tendonitis
>>she's been living with for months (after what I go through, she's not
>>very keen on doctors, so unless she can't move her arm she won't go).
>>What do you think?

> Yeah. I would try it for any kind of tendonitis. One problem with using
> it is the movement is quite painful. And I would agree with the RICE
> prescription for initial treatment. But if the problem is persistent I
> would try it.
>
> A friend of mine - who doesn't train at all - also had achilles
> tendonitis. I told him about the eccentrics and he elected to go and get
> a cortisone shot. He ruptured his achilles 3 weeks after the shot while
> touring through New Orleans. He had numerous shots in his shoulders and
> ankles over the years. I wouldn't go that route, myself.

Jeez, I thought you (meaning the doctor) was supposed to inject
underneath the tendon sheath, not INTO the tendon itself! Bloody OUCH!

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Hugh Jass wrote:
> My 2c... I spent 2 months in double ankle casts 2 years ago because both
> my achilles tendons were on verge of rupture. It was like having 2 ping
> pong balls in my legs, they were so swollen. After casts came off, went
> to a podiatrist. I now wear custom orthotics to alleviate flat feet and
> put them in good shoes - not cheap Wal-Mart ****, but good Merrills.
> Have never had a problem with the achilles tendons since.

Great name btw.

Was your problem chronic or acute? And have you resumed your normal
activity?

- bc

I'm wearing Merrills now - wore out the soles on the first pair in 7 months,
replaced with the same shoe. I spent some time in my 20's selling running
shoes / athletic shoes, and have always "invested" in good quality shoes.

A couple of days of RICE plus some heavy calf raises and concentrating on
stretching when pedalling have seemed to help the swelling and soreness. I
can now touch / press in on the tendon without much pain, and am walking
more comfortably. 17.8 miles today on the pedometer in an 11 hour + shift.