Achilles' Whine

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Scott, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Well, I just gotta whine a little, okay? I developed some Achilles tendon problems (left side)
    during a big winter tour, and it seems the beast has come back for more :( I was not symptom free,
    but I was riding pretty hard (up to 40+ miles w/hills), but then I started stretching, did a couple
    of stout rides back to back, and whammo, she's back. I guess I never did get fully recovered. So now
    it *looks* like plans for the big summer tour have to be scrapped. I've been missing out on some
    great spring riding. In general, I just need a hug and someone to tell me it's going to be OK!

    I may be off the bike for some time, so I'm trying to get used to the idea. I've been neglecting my
    upper-body workouts. Time to get back with that program. Of course, with this kind of problem, I
    can't hike, rock climb, etc. It's just a real show stopper. Sigh....

    Any other folks out there deal with this problem? What was your experience? How long did it take to
    get back to full riding strength? I got the problem when I did too radical a boom adjustment
    mid-tour in early Jan. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'm seeing a physical therapist on Mon.

    Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

    Viva Recumbency! Pedalphilia is not a crime....

    Scott Haluzak GTT

    Tags:

  2. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    I developed plantar faciitis(sp) my first year riding bents, from ankling and a too distant seat.
    Pain in the heal, Inflammation of the achilles where it makes the turn under your heel, felt like a
    spur. Took almost a YEAR to fully heal! Bummer.

  3. direwolf

    direwolf Guest

    I had the same problem a couple years ago on RAGBRAI. Here's what worked for me (after a couple
    months of taking it easy): 1) shorter crank arms to decrease the angle through which the ankle has
    to rotate; 2) move the cleats all the way back on the shoe; 3) on long tours, I wear a preformed
    Ace-type elastic wrap on each ankle. Also, if you can find shoes that fit (I can't), get some with
    extended Achille's guards and lace the shoes tight so as to prevent any lateral movement of the
    Achille's tendon.

    I've done some medium-length tours since then, 800 miles or so - with plenty of hundred-mile days.
    The problem hasn't come back, but it took many adjustments to get things just right.

    My advice is to keep tweeking things so that you don't put down too much power through the ankles,
    and you'll be fine. Don't let anybody tell you to take non-steroidals or any of that stuff - fix the
    mechanics of your pedal stroke.

    Bobby

    Scott wrote:

    > Well, I just gotta whine a little, okay? I developed some Achilles tendon problems (left side)
    > during a big winter tour, and it seems the beast has come back for more :( I was not symptom free,
    > but I was riding pretty hard (up to 40+ miles w/hills), but then I started stretching, did a
    > couple of stout rides back to back, and whammo, she's back. I guess I never did get fully
    > recovered. So now it *looks* like plans for the big summer tour have to be scrapped. I've been
    > missing out on some great spring riding. In general, I just need a hug and someone to tell me it's
    > going to be OK!
    >
    > I may be off the bike for some time, so I'm trying to get used to the idea. I've been neglecting
    > my upper-body workouts. Time to get back with that program. Of course, with this kind of problem,
    > I can't hike, rock climb, etc. It's just a real show stopper. Sigh....
    >
    > Any other folks out there deal with this problem? What was your experience? How long did it take
    > to get back to full riding strength? I got the problem when I did too radical a boom adjustment
    > mid-tour in early Jan. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'm seeing a physical therapist on Mon.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
    >
    > Viva Recumbency! Pedalphilia is not a crime....
    >
    > Scott Haluzak GTT

  4. Swim-----paddle a Kayak-----get a quadraped recumbent and use only the hand crank-----rollerskate,
    iceskate or rollerski-----find a gym that has a horizontal overhead ladder and brachiate-----you get
    the idea: crosstraining.

    Steve McDonald

  5. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

    Hi Scott, Achilles inflammation was my Achilles heel when I ran a lot. I did eventually find the
    cause and a solution. You do have to find what's causing it. Treating the pain will not solve the
    problem, although the inflammation must be eliminated either through treatment (physical and/or
    medical treatment) or through stopping the activity that causes the problem. I bet stopping biking
    is not a solution you'll accept. Some things that I found helpful were:
    1. Wearing heel lifts in all of my shoes (running and non-running). This reduces the amount of
    tendon stretch. Since you walk more than you run or bike, it is essential to wear heel lifts in
    your every day shoes. Perhaps a shorter crank length may help. Or experimenting with cleat angle
    and fore-aft position.
    2. Backing down on the intensity of the activity. Reducing ride speed and distance - especially
    during recovery - is essential.
    3. Not giving up on looking for a solution. I was unable to run for a year at one point before I
    found a solution. And that solution was to go to a running podiatrist (a podiatrist who ran and
    who specialized in runners). He treated the inflammation and gave me a key to the solution -
    which was to wear heel lifts in all of my shoes. Up to that point, I was wearing them only in my
    running shoes. Some of my running friends required orthonics to solve their problems. I did not.
    So keep looking for the solution that works for you. Good luck, and happy biking.
    --
    ~~~al.kubeluis..md.usa.earth.sun.milkyway.virgo.universe..corsa~~~

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I just gotta whine a little, okay? I developed some Achilles tendon problems (left side)
    > during a big winter tour, and it seems the beast has come back for more :( I was not symptom free,
    > but I was riding pretty hard (up to 40+ miles w/hills), but then I started stretching, did a
    > couple of stout rides back to back, and whammo, she's back. I guess I never did get fully
    > recovered. So now it *looks* like plans for the big summer tour have to be scrapped. I've been
    > missing out on some great spring riding. In general, I just need a hug and someone to tell me it's
    > going to be OK!
    >
    > I may be off the bike for some time, so I'm trying to get used to the idea. I've been neglecting
    > my upper-body workouts. Time to get back with that program. Of course, with this kind of problem,
    > I can't hike, rock climb, etc. It's just a real show stopper. Sigh....
    >
    > Any other folks out there deal with this problem? What was your experience? How long did it take
    > to get back to full riding strength? I got the problem when I did too radical a boom adjustment
    > mid-tour in early Jan. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'm seeing a physical therapist on Mon.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.
    >
    > Viva Recumbency! Pedalphilia is not a crime....
    >
    > Scott Haluzak GTT

  6. My left side Achilles acted up last summer. It was so bad that I almost couldn't walk. A few
    sessions with ultrasound and a lot of ice calmed it down to the point where I could walk without
    limping let alone pain.

    Background: I don't ankle and my cleats were all the way back. Cranks are standard
    Greenspeed length.

    The sports med MD recommendations were:
    - stretch the Achilles prior to and after riding.
    - ice the back of the heel after riding.
    - don't where shoes loosely (no rubbing on the back of the heel).

    The stretch involves standing on a staircase backwards so that your feet hang over the edge of the
    step. The point is to let the heel hang down as far as possible. Hold the position for 3 mintues but
    I go 5. Gives you "floppy" feet afterwards. Ends up being a pretty good calve stretch as well.

    It went away. I continue to do the stretch religiously and this seems to keep it at bay. Whenever I
    get lax with my stretching or sloppy with my street shoes it flares up.

    I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv. I don't know if my problem is the same as yours.
    It sounds like it may not be. I suggest that the first thing to do is to heal. To that end,
    see a doctor.

  7. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Campanelli) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > My left side Achilles acted up last summer. It was so bad that I almost couldn't walk. A few
    > sessions with ultrasound and a lot of ice calmed it down to the point where I could walk without
    > limping let alone pain.
    >
    > Background: I don't ankle and my cleats were all the way back. Cranks are standard
    > Greenspeed length.
    >
    > The sports med MD recommendations were:
    > - stretch the Achilles prior to and after riding.
    > - ice the back of the heel after riding.
    > - don't where shoes loosely (no rubbing on the back of the heel).
    >
    > The stretch involves standing on a staircase backwards so that your feet hang over the edge of the
    > step. The point is to let the heel hang down as far as possible. Hold the position for 3 mintues
    > but I go 5. Gives you "floppy" feet afterwards. Ends up being a pretty good calve stretch as well.
    >
    > It went away. I continue to do the stretch religiously and this seems to keep it at bay. Whenever
    > I get lax with my stretching or sloppy with my street shoes it flares up.
    >
    > I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on tv. I don't know if my problem is the same as yours.
    > It sounds like it may not be. I suggest that the first thing to do is to heal. To that end, see
    > a doctor.

    agreed, agreed, and agreed! I can now touch the next step below with my heel after many years of
    that stretch. It very often gives immediate relief from twinges of soreness.

  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Thanks, everyone, for your input. The cause of the problem was extending the BB too much mid-tour in
    Jan. Also, I think I compounded the issue with some sloppy technique on a longer day. We were
    cooking along the floor of Death Valley, and I seem to remember a bit too much ankle movement. This,
    however, was accentuated due to the greater reach. Anyway, I've since moved the BB back in a bit.
    I'm seeing a PT on Monday, and hope I can begin riding again soon. I already have short cranks, so
    that's taken care of. Mostly, I think its going to be an issue of a very gradual resumption of
    activity. I've stopped riding for the last couple of weeks after some hard days and too much
    stretching. We'll see.

    Everybody, get out there and logs some miles for me! :)

    Scott Haluzak GTT

  9. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

    Ice it every 4 hours. Take Advil or generic IBprofen every 4 hours for two days. This reduces
    swelling. After which, you can start stretching it to loosen.