achillies tendon problems

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:03:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well I agree there appears to be something wrong, but it may not be the shoes. In fact at such
> a short run, I doubt if the shoes are the problem, but I would not rule them out.

The problem showing up in such a short run is exactly the reason it's most likely his shoes.
Something is seriously wrong, and I know I can't run 500 yards in the wrong shoes without immediate
problems. In the right shoe I'm unlimited.

You may not, but most people can run that distance in well fitting street shoes without a problem.

That however is not to say it is not the shoes as it may well be. I am only suggesting don't get
fixed on one idea and ignore the other possibilities.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

news:[email protected]...

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 21:03:41 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Keep in mind that many people ran many many injury free miles before the current high tech
> shoes were available. I do believe they can help, but I don't believe they are the most
> important component But then this seems to be an area of a lot of debate and no one really
> seems to know.

I do know. The real point is that with so many types and models of shoes available it's actually
much harder to buy shoes, because the odds go away from your favor of finding the right ones. Of
course seasoned runners like most here know enough about shoes we already have an idea what type we
need, but for a beginner it's an unbelievably complicated task. Just look at the **** I went through
to finally get my 2080's, even after years of buying them.

Actually I believe the odds are better. Remember that there are more choices, but more of those
choices available are right.

--

[email protected] (Robwjm2) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> thanks to everyone who replyed. I think the nikes may be the big problem or the one that is
> easiest to correct.Why are they so bad though? and secondly how long does it take to recover from
> this problem. should I wait untill it has completley healed before running or exersizing

IMHO, YES!

I pulled my achilles back in college (while skiing, not running). It took *months* before it
returned to normal, sorry to say. A whole semester and then some.

If it were me, I would not start running again until it was completely healed. I might try a
low-impact alternative, like elliptical or cycling, instead. Ice it as often as possible, every
night. And take ibuprofen for the inflammation. The way I understand it (and I'm no doctor, so take
my advice with that in mind), the inflammation itself can cause further microtears in the tissues,
so it can become a self-perpetuating thing.

jen

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:23:43 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You may not, but most people can run that distance in well fitting street shoes without a
> problem.

Who said his shoes were well fitting? Incorrect size is another common mistake in new runners.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:22:08 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Actually I believe the odds are better. Remember that there are more choices, but more of those
> choices available are right.

I don't agree, there's too many variations to make the chances better.

Ill fitting street shoes are likely to only give the blisters.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:33:56 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ill fitting street shoes are likely to only give the blisters.

This just isn't true. You're much more likely to get an injury than blisters.
. Besides, he hasn't just run a few minutes in these shoes, he's been running in them for awhile.
hence the cumulative effects.

"Robwjm2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> thanks to everyone who replyed. I think the nikes may be the big problem
or
> the one that is easiest to correct.Why are they so bad though?

Do not ask the troll questions. You will only get more BS. You can avoid this intentional
misinformation at moderated forums, esp. the injury forum, runnersworld.com, which excludes
the uncivil.

But you were right to question the advice.

and secondly
> how long does it take to recover from this problem. should I wait untill
it has
> completley healed before running or exersizing

If it hurts during the run or progresses from day to day, then stop, IMO. The worse it gets the
longer the recovery.

Learn to relax your calf muscles by massage and stretching (contract-release). Strengthen them, esp.
in eccentric contraction.

Do not question the brand of shoe, rather, the particular type and how it meets your needs, as
randomly changing shoes can get expensive and frustrating.

Well I admit I don't have any hard figures on the subject, it is my opinion and personal experience.
Where do you get your information?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:00:31 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Well I admit I don't have any hard figures on the subject, it is my opinion and personal
> experience. Where do you get your information?

Hard figures on what? "Hard facts" are usually BS. My opinions are just that.

Just a quick question do you ever sign on with the same name twice? Why change so often? Do that
many people put you on there zap list? Does that bother you?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:00:52 -0400, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Do not ask the troll questions. You will only get more BS.

Then do a Google search on the nike subject within this newsgroup for the past few years. The
numbers run four people who say nike is ****, to 1 person who defends them. This "Bill"
([email protected]) is a true jerkoff, with no real experience in the running world, just
ignore him.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:59:10 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just a quick question do you ever sign on with the same name twice?

Sometimes, by mistake.

> Why change so often?

If I'm going between newsgroups I like to change it to prevent "Google searches" on that ID.

>o that many people put you on there zap list? Does that bother you?

Not anymore.

"Treet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:59:10 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Just a quick question do you ever sign on with the same name twice?
>
> Sometimes, by mistake.
>
> > Why change so often?
>
> If I'm going between newsgroups I like to change it to prevent "Google searches" on that ID.

Why?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:31:39 GMT, "Joseph Meehan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> If I'm going between newsgroups I like to change it to prevent "Google searches" on that ID.
>
> Why?

Yes.