achillies tendon rehab.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Siegler, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Dave Siegler

    Dave Siegler Guest

    I am a former road racer that ruptured my Achilles tendon 5 weeks ago. I will be out of the cast
    in one week.

    I would like to return to riding and training. Does anyone have any experience with this injury? I
    would guess hills and fixed gear riding is out for a while.

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. > I am a former road racer that ruptured my Achilles tendon 5 weeks ago. I will be out of the cast
    > in one week. I would like to return to riding and training. Does anyone have any experience with
    > this injury? I would guess hills and fixed gear riding is out for a while.

    How about sharing my experience with a couple, I mean both, patellar tendons?

    Sergio Pisa

  3. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "dave siegler" <[email protected]_THIShotmail.com> wrote:

    > I am a former road racer that ruptured my Achilles tendon 5 weeks ago. I will be out of the cast
    > in one week.

    as a P.T. who races and has had a ruptured achilles...I've got a bit of experience with this

    but...need to know if you had surgery or not.

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  4. Dave Siegler

    Dave Siegler Guest

    Yes,

    I had surgery 5 weeks ago. I'm 42, been active in streaks all my life. I quit racing at 40, and been
    laying low for a while. Did this palying rec volleyball, just reaching for a low one then POW. In a
    cast one more week. Dr. said repair was normal, and said I wound not need PT. How strange is that?
    He is known not to use PT. I will ask him if I can ride when the cast comes off.

    I don't think I will race again, but want to train and do long rides, and want to coach soccer and
    basaketball. I got to wonder if low intensity, road riding will help regain normal function. Also
    sitting around all day is making me crazy!

    Dave "Sparks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "dave siegler" <[email protected]_THIShotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I am a former road racer that ruptured my Achilles tendon 5 weeks ago.
    > > will be out of the cast in one week.
    >
    > as a P.T. who races and has had a ruptured achilles...I've got a bit of experience with this
    >
    > but...need to know if you had surgery or not.
    >

    > ________________________________
    >
    > Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    > ________________________________

  5. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "dave siegler" <[email protected]_THIShotmail.com> wrote:

    I ruptured mine playing indoor soccer at age ~31 (I'm 37 now) and had an ex-college football playing
    orthopod who was pretty aggressive with it, however, I was in a walking boot non weight bearing for
    2 months then progressively added more weight (with crutches) over the next 4 weeks. So I did a
    total of 3 months with limited weight bearing and *no* range of motion or strengthening. . The
    mornings were the worst for me...lots of pain and stiffness. Expect to go a full year before you
    don't think of the achilles every day

    Whenever you're looking at a tendon rupture (as opposed to a ligament) you're looking at a very long
    time to have it heal completely. The surgery basically just joins the ends together and nature takes
    it's course. You push it with rehab or sports and you'll run the risk of rerupture.

    > In a cast one more week. Dr. said repair was normal, and said I wound not need PT. How strange is
    > that? He is known not to use PT.

    It depends on the outcome you're after...I worked my butt off in rehab and my left calf is still 25%
    less in mass than my non injured leg. I would hate to think of where I'd be if I didn't know what I
    was doing.

    wait till you see your calf muscle when the cast comes off, then try to contract the muscle, then
    decide if you want a professional to guide you through rehab. I'm biased, but you'd be crazy not to
    have PT. A good approach is to ask the doc this way..."will it hurt me to have PT?" if he still says
    no just go to your GP and have him write you a script.

    > I don't think I will race again, but want to train and do long rides, and want to coach soccer and
    > basaketball.

    I wouldn't let the injury dictate not racing again. Cycling is actually much less stress on the
    achilles than basketball/soccer etc. I played soccer for a div. I college team and really have never
    gotten back to that level, partly due to my achilles. For bike racing I'm way stronger than I was
    and I'm putting in lots and lots of miles and racing.

    good luck

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  6. Dave Siegler

    Dave Siegler Guest

    thanks, So I won't be ridng for a few months I guess. I was hoping I could ride easy in a few weeks.
    Thought it would be a good way to get some range of motion back.

    This is week 5, one more week in the cast then a boot. I'll think about getting back into racing
    shape for next year. I'll be able to build a nice solid winter base (for once). I am very scared of
    this happening again, I'm going to baby it. A broken leg would be better than this.

    Also thanks about the idea for getting PT done. I should be able to ride late summer and coach
    soccer in the fall and coach basketball in the winter.

    Dave "Sparks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "dave siegler" <[email protected]_THIShotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > I ruptured mine playing indoor soccer at age ~31 (I'm 37 now) and had an ex-college football
    > playing orthopod who was pretty aggressive with it, however, I was in a walking boot non weight
    > bearing for 2 months then progressively added more weight (with crutches) over the next 4 weeks.
    > So I did a total of 3 months with limited weight bearing and *no* range of motion or
    > strengthening. . The mornings were the worst for me...lots of pain and stiffness. Expect to go a
    > full year before you don't think of the achilles every day
    >
    > Whenever you're looking at a tendon rupture (as opposed to a ligament) you're looking at a very
    > long time to have it heal completely. The surgery basically just joins the ends together and
    > nature takes it's course. You push it with rehab or sports and you'll run the risk of rerupture.
    >
    > > In a cast one more week. Dr. said repair was normal, and said I wound
    not
    > > need PT. How strange is that? He is known not to use PT.
    >
    > It depends on the outcome you're after...I worked my butt off in rehab and my left calf is still
    > 25% less in mass than my non injured leg. I would hate to think of where I'd be if I didn't know
    > what I was doing.
    >
    > wait till you see your calf muscle when the cast comes off, then try to contract the muscle, then
    > decide if you want a professional to guide you through rehab. I'm biased, but you'd be crazy not
    > to have PT. A good approach is to ask the doc this way..."will it hurt me to have PT?" if he still
    > says no just go to your GP and have him write you a script.
    >
    > > I don't think I will race again, but want to train and do long rides,
    and
    > > want to coach soccer and basaketball.
    >
    > I wouldn't let the injury dictate not racing again. Cycling is actually much less stress on the
    > achilles than basketball/soccer etc. I played soccer for a div. I college team and really have
    > never gotten back to that level, partly due to my achilles. For bike racing I'm way stronger than
    > I was and I'm putting in lots and lots of miles and racing.
    >
    > good luck
    >

    > ________________________________
    >
    > Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    > ________________________________

  7. anquetil

    anquetil New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2003
    Dave

    Hope your TA is better!

    I'm a road racer, fell off and cut my TA on the chainrings. Op repair 3 months ago and desperate to hear from other cyclists who have had the same injury.

    I had a fast track programme:
    cast for 10 days
    boot for a few weeks
    heel raises from then on
    PT but limited by pain/ stiffness

    3 months post op I can't walk well, it's too sore. Very slow improvements. Cycling is quite good as I can offload the tendon - it's certainly good for morale! But I'm a little concerned that I may be slowing down recovery by stressing the tendon too soon. Any advice welcome.

    Ben

  8. On 23 Sep 2003, anquetil wrote:

    > Cycling is quite good as I can offload the tendon - it's certainly good for morale!
    > But I'm a little concerned that I may be slowing down recovery by stressing the tendon
    > too soon. Any advice welcome.

    Keep up with the rehabilitating excercises. Don't give up, but don't push too hard, too fast.
    Tendons do heal well and regain strength; that has worked remarkably well for me, with both patellar
    tendons that had been ripped.

    Cheers

    Sergio Pisa