aching legs

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by noname, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. noname

    noname Guest

    x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and they
    really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are still a little
    weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this could have something to
    do with circulation ? Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ? if so, would
    wearing support hose to bed be of any help ? many thanks Anita

    Tags:

  2. Caploc

    Caploc Guest

    Hi Anita The Doc's may need a bit more info before they can help you, like how old you are, what
    drugs you are on, physical condition, level of activity ect. Cappy

  3. [email protected] wrote:

    > x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and they
    > really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are still a
    > little weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this could have
    > something to do with circulation ?

    Possibly. Though typically if there is arterial insufficiency, there will also be aching with
    walking around.

    > Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ?

    Up maybe but not typically about.

    > if so, would wearing support hose to bed be of any help ?

    If this is arterial insufficiency, the support hose should make symptoms worse.

    > many thanks Anita

    You are welcome, Anita :)

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W3C323D57

  4. Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
    : [email protected] wrote:

    : > x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and they
    : > really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are still a
    : > little weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this could have
    : > something to do with circulation ?

    : Possibly. Though typically if there is arterial insufficiency, there will also be aching with
    : walking around.

    : > Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ?

    : Up maybe but not typically about.

    : > if so, would wearing support hose to bed be of any help ?

    : If this is arterial insufficiency, the support hose should make symptoms worse.

    Is that the same as "claudication"?

    Emma

  5. Emma Chase VanCott wrote:

    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > : > x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and
    > : > they really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are
    > : > still a little weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this
    > : > could have something to do with circulation ?
    >
    > : Possibly. Though typically if there is arterial insufficiency, there will also be aching with
    > : walking around.
    >
    > : > Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ?
    >
    > : Up maybe but not typically about.
    >
    > : > if so, would wearing support hose to bed be of any help ?
    >
    > : If this is arterial insufficiency, the support hose should make symptoms worse.
    >
    > Is that the same as "claudication"?
    >
    > Emma

    Yes, Emma.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W3C323D57

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
    pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.

    David

  7. David wrote:

    > I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
    > pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
    >
    > David

    Would suggest you seek a second opinion, David.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2CA21267

  8. Zee

    Zee Guest

    > I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
    > pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
    >
    > David

    David I'm sorry you're being advised to stay on a drug that is hurting you more than helping you.

    Please do a search on sci.med.cardiology for [email protected], [email protected] and read what
    these people have to say regarding Lipitor toxicity, why you should not be taking a statin and why
    you may not need to lower your cholesterol at all.

    This just drives me nuts. All the discussion that goes on here from people who have been injured by
    statins and YOU Dr. Chung do not mention it when someone comes to you, thinking this is the goods,
    this is a cardiologist! You might even say, others who post here have had your experience, there is
    reason for concern, and you should search on this name, or that. Shame on you.

    If you continue to take this drug David, or any statin, you may end up where I am, fully 2 1/2 years
    after taking pravachol, lipitor, baycol and zocor for five years, and being told I HAD to keep
    trying to take them: I can barely walk without hanging onto something; my legs ache especially in
    the morning, the pain keeps me awake at night, my feet and lower legs are purple most of the time,
    and though I am able to better it somewhat from stumbling around a bit, it worsens very badly from
    just the amount of walking I must do to shower and prepare food. I do not "cook" anymore. I eat cans
    of beans. First they are prepared quickly, and secondly, they are what I can afford after not
    working more than minimum the whole time telling my doctors there was something terribly wrong. The
    pain I had during statin use was enough to make me wish to kill myself, to be offered, but refuse
    terrible painkillers including morphine. I have breakdown of skin on my feet, deep cuts and ulcers,
    which a podiatrist says he only sees in diabetics (I am not). I still have memory and learning
    problems caused by these drugs. With an honours degree in English Literature and several years
    working as a journalist, I am now unable to work at anything but very basic clerical work, which I
    do from home. No-one will hire someone who walks like I, and apparently you, do.

    Some who post here refuse to understand. It is not simpole side effects; You will not likely return
    to anything remotely normal if you have been injured by statins even if you do stop taking them.
    The damage is apparently permanet. Your doctor is woefully inadequate in his education about these
    drugs. Your doctor is probably getting his statin education from the drugs salespeople. How
    unbiased is that?

    It is not going to go away David. Stop now. Go to: http://www.impostertrial.com/physician.htm and
    read what statins are very likely doing to you, read and look at the histopathology slides. (Click
    on the link at the top middle of the page I have sent).

    You can have this damage without elevated CK tests. Read what Dr. Phillips has to say about that. On
    the histopathology page, see how years after stoppping statins, people who took them and were told
    they MUST stay on them are permanently crippled.

    I seriously doubt your cholesterol is as high as mine. You are an Aussie? My total cholesterol is
    12-14. My ldl is nearly all of that. I have no heart disease. The irony is I was put on statins to
    PREVENT disease. They caused me disease. Now, I refuse to take them.

    My life and finances have been destroyed because like you I listened to my doctor and continued
    to take them. Oh yes, I would stop here and there, and report some alleviation of acute pain, but
    was told "nope couldn't be statins" or "but you HAVE to lower your cholesterol. You're doing so
    well in that".

    I have no savings, no pension monies, and have sold everything saleable, including my mother's
    pearls to pay rent and groceries. That is what statins have done to me. I have not bought a book, or
    seen a movie, or been out of a city in 7 years. I have no money, no savings, and no fall-back but to
    take welfare. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty middle class. That's unacceptable to me,
    especially when it all could have been avoided.

    There is more. If you wish e-mail me at [email protected] and I will tell you things I cannot put
    here. You need to know.

    I repeat: I have no cardiovascular disease. I have no signs or symptoms that my physicians can find
    that would indicate need for invasive testing. My total cholesterol is 12-14, or around 500 in the
    American system.

    Be warned.

    I am so disappointed in you Dr. Chung. You didn't even bother to mention there were warnings of what
    this man has experienced right on the lipitor product monograph.

    B'adant

  9. I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor

    I don't take Lipitor. I don't have high lipids. I read this NG out of interest in Critical Care and
    Cardiac Care Nursing.

    : also seems to relate to pain in lower back.

    Are you getting regular bloodwork while on Lipitor? Mention this "back pain" thing to your doc,
    okay? It could be important info for them to know.

    : But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.

    Yeesh.

    This term, I saw a pt. on the floor (general medicine) a few days ago who had Lipitor-induced
    rhabdo. (muscle breakdown). That sort of stuff scares the heck out of me.

    My future MIL has high liver enzyme tests now, due to taking the Statin (now discontinued in the
    USA) that caused liver damage and initiated many lawsuits.

    I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
    lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.

    In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification. Although meds do serve a
    purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing solutions are in a pill.

    We have to love ourselves and take care of our bodies better. This rotation drives that
    home, for sure.

    Emma

  10. listener

    listener Guest

    On 13 Feb 2004 06:56:14 GMT, Emma Chase VanCott
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >: I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor
    >
    >I don't take Lipitor. I don't have high lipids. I read this NG out of interest in Critical Care and
    >Cardiac Care Nursing.

    >: also seems to relate to pain in lower back.
    >
    >Are you getting regular bloodwork while on Lipitor? Mention this "back pain" thing to your doc,
    >okay? It could be important info for them to know.
    >

    >: But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
    >

    >Yeesh.
    >
    >This term, I saw a pt. on the floor (general medicine) a few days ago who had Lipitor-induced
    >rhabdo. (muscle breakdown). That sort of stuff scares the heck out of me.

    Was it documented as such? That *is* a known side-effect. I could not take Lipitor because of the
    onset of muscular pain.

    >My future MIL has high liver enzyme tests now, due to taking the Statin (now discontinued in the
    >USA) that caused liver damage and initiated many lawsuits.
    >

    >I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
    >lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.

    Yes, there are alternatives,which is a very good thing. Although the fact that many of them are
    unregulated, one can't be sure of the quality you're getting.

    >In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification. Although meds do serve a
    >purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing solutions are in a pill.

    Not everyone is capable of or has the will to effect a meaningful (health-wise) lifestyle change.
    For some, it can be an extremely difficult thing to do. I tend to see the availability of many of
    these meds as the glass being half full.

    >We have to love ourselves and take care of our bodies better. This rotation drives that home,
    >for sure.

    Well said.

  11. Emma Chase VanCott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > : I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor
    >
    > I don't take Lipitor. I don't have high lipids. I read this NG out of interest in Critical Care
    > and Cardiac Care Nursing.
    >

    > : also seems to relate to pain in lower back.
    >
    > Are you getting regular bloodwork while on Lipitor? Mention this "back pain" thing to your doc,
    > okay? It could be important info for them to know.

    Would concur.

    > : But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
    >

    > Yeesh.
    >
    > This term, I saw a pt. on the floor (general medicine) a few days ago who had Lipitor-induced
    > rhabdo. (muscle breakdown). That sort of stuff scares the heck out of me.

    Understandably.

    > My future MIL has high liver enzyme tests now, due to taking the Statin (now discontinued in the
    > USA) that caused liver damage and initiated many lawsuits.

    Uh-oh.

    > I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
    > lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.
    >
    > In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification.

    Would concur.

    Weight loss (if overweight) is especially important.

    (Could talk about you know what here, but won't ;-)

    > Although meds do serve a purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing
    > solutions are in a pill.

    Pills are a great temporary bridge to needed lifestyle changes.

    > We have to love ourselves and take care of our bodies better. This rotation drives that home,
    > for sure.

    God has appointed us stewards of our bodies.

    > Emma

    Thank you for your comments, Emma.

    Andrew

    --

  12. Zee wrote:

    > > I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate
    > > to pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol
    > > level.
    > >
    > > David

    My suggestion stands:

    You should get a second opinion.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2CA21267

  13. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that David wrote in article
    <[email protected]>:

    >I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
    >pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.

    What is your dosage, and how long have you been on it? Muscular pain is a known *potential* side
    effect of Lipitor. I have been on Lipitor for over five years, currently at 80mg daily, run ten to
    twelve miles a week (would be more, but arthritis is catching up with me), and between Lipitor,
    niacin, and atenolol I'm maintaining my lipids balance. My back pain is arthritic.

    However, these are my personal results; if you trust your doctor follow his advice but give him your
    input, and if you don't, get a second opinion.
    --
    Don [email protected]

  14. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Emma Chase VanCott wrote in
    article <[email protected]>:

    [...]

    >I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
    >lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.

    >In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification. Although meds do serve a
    >purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing solutions are in a pill.

    That safe treatment is not available to those of us who are at high risk because we have genetic
    family patterns of high cholesterol/low HDL. For us it's important to find the safest medication
    that provides optimum results. I had been a runner for 20 years, with 27 marathons, when I had my
    heart attack. Weight was never a problem; at my peak I was 20 pounds above what I weighed in
    military service, and I'm below that nowadays.
    --
    Don [email protected]