aching legs

noname

Guest
x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and they
really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are still a little
weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this could have something to
do with circulation ? Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ? if so, would
wearing support hose to bed be of any help ? many thanks Anita

Hi Anita The Doc's may need a bit more info before they can help you, like how old you are, what
drugs you are on, physical condition, level of activity ect. Cappy

[email protected] wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and they
> really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are still a
> little weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this could have
> something to do with circulation ?

Possibly. Though typically if there is arterial insufficiency, there will also be aching with
walking around.

> Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ?

Up maybe but not typically about.

> if so, would wearing support hose to bed be of any help ?

If this is arterial insufficiency, the support hose should make symptoms worse.

> many thanks Anita

You are welcome, Anita :)

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W3C323D57

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
: [email protected] wrote:

: > x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and they
: > really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are still a
: > little weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this could have
: > something to do with circulation ?

: Possibly. Though typically if there is arterial insufficiency, there will also be aching with
: walking around.

: > Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ?

: Up maybe but not typically about.

: > if so, would wearing support hose to bed be of any help ?

: If this is arterial insufficiency, the support hose should make symptoms worse.

Is that the same as "claudication"?

Emma

Emma Chase VanCott wrote:

> Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD <[email protected]> wrote:
> : [email protected] wrote:
>
> : > x-no-archive: yes when I wake up in the morning and get out of bed..my legs are so weak and
> : > they really ache badly.. but after I'm up for a little while and move around, my legs are
> : > still a little weak but the pain goes away. Would I be maybe correct in thinking that this
> : > could have something to do with circulation ?
>
> : Possibly. Though typically if there is arterial insufficiency, there will also be aching with
> : walking around.
>
> : > Soon as I'm up and about, the blood starts circulating better ?
>
> : Up maybe but not typically about.
>
> : > if so, would wearing support hose to bed be of any help ?
>
> : If this is arterial insufficiency, the support hose should make symptoms worse.
>
> Is that the same as "claudication"?
>
> Emma

Yes, Emma.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W3C323D57

I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.

David

David wrote:

> I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
> pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
>
> David

Would suggest you seek a second opinion, David.

Andrew

--

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2CA21267

> I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
> pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
>
> David

David I'm sorry you're being advised to stay on a drug that is hurting you more than helping you.

Please do a search on sci.med.cardiology for [email protected], [email protected] and read what
these people have to say regarding Lipitor toxicity, why you should not be taking a statin and why
you may not need to lower your cholesterol at all.

This just drives me nuts. All the discussion that goes on here from people who have been injured by
statins and YOU Dr. Chung do not mention it when someone comes to you, thinking this is the goods,
this is a cardiologist! You might even say, others who post here have had your experience, there is
reason for concern, and you should search on this name, or that. Shame on you.

If you continue to take this drug David, or any statin, you may end up where I am, fully 2 1/2 years
after taking pravachol, lipitor, baycol and zocor for five years, and being told I HAD to keep
trying to take them: I can barely walk without hanging onto something; my legs ache especially in
the morning, the pain keeps me awake at night, my feet and lower legs are purple most of the time,
and though I am able to better it somewhat from stumbling around a bit, it worsens very badly from
just the amount of walking I must do to shower and prepare food. I do not "cook" anymore. I eat cans
of beans. First they are prepared quickly, and secondly, they are what I can afford after not
working more than minimum the whole time telling my doctors there was something terribly wrong. The
pain I had during statin use was enough to make me wish to kill myself, to be offered, but refuse
terrible painkillers including morphine. I have breakdown of skin on my feet, deep cuts and ulcers,
which a podiatrist says he only sees in diabetics (I am not). I still have memory and learning
problems caused by these drugs. With an honours degree in English Literature and several years
working as a journalist, I am now unable to work at anything but very basic clerical work, which I
do from home. No-one will hire someone who walks like I, and apparently you, do.

Some who post here refuse to understand. It is not simpole side effects; You will not likely return
to anything remotely normal if you have been injured by statins even if you do stop taking them.
The damage is apparently permanet. Your doctor is woefully inadequate in his education about these
drugs. Your doctor is probably getting his statin education from the drugs salespeople. How
unbiased is that?

It is not going to go away David. Stop now. Go to: http://www.impostertrial.com/physician.htm and
read what statins are very likely doing to you, read and look at the histopathology slides. (Click
on the link at the top middle of the page I have sent).

You can have this damage without elevated CK tests. Read what Dr. Phillips has to say about that. On
the histopathology page, see how years after stoppping statins, people who took them and were told
they MUST stay on them are permanently crippled.

I seriously doubt your cholesterol is as high as mine. You are an Aussie? My total cholesterol is
12-14. My ldl is nearly all of that. I have no heart disease. The irony is I was put on statins to
PREVENT disease. They caused me disease. Now, I refuse to take them.

My life and finances have been destroyed because like you I listened to my doctor and continued
to take them. Oh yes, I would stop here and there, and report some alleviation of acute pain, but
was told "nope couldn't be statins" or "but you HAVE to lower your cholesterol. You're doing so
well in that".

I have no savings, no pension monies, and have sold everything saleable, including my mother's
pearls to pay rent and groceries. That is what statins have done to me. I have not bought a book, or
seen a movie, or been out of a city in 7 years. I have no money, no savings, and no fall-back but to
take welfare. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty middle class. That's unacceptable to me,
especially when it all could have been avoided.

There is more. If you wish e-mail me at [email protected] and I will tell you things I cannot put
here. You need to know.

I repeat: I have no cardiovascular disease. I have no signs or symptoms that my physicians can find
that would indicate need for invasive testing. My total cholesterol is 12-14, or around 500 in the
American system.

Be warned.

I am so disappointed in you Dr. Chung. You didn't even bother to mention there were warnings of what
this man has experienced right on the lipitor product monograph.

B'adant

I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor

I don't take Lipitor. I don't have high lipids. I read this NG out of interest in Critical Care and
Cardiac Care Nursing.

: also seems to relate to pain in lower back.

Are you getting regular bloodwork while on Lipitor? Mention this "back pain" thing to your doc,
okay? It could be important info for them to know.

: But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.

Yeesh.

This term, I saw a pt. on the floor (general medicine) a few days ago who had Lipitor-induced
rhabdo. (muscle breakdown). That sort of stuff scares the heck out of me.

My future MIL has high liver enzyme tests now, due to taking the Statin (now discontinued in the
USA) that caused liver damage and initiated many lawsuits.

I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.

In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification. Although meds do serve a
purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing solutions are in a pill.

We have to love ourselves and take care of our bodies better. This rotation drives that
home, for sure.

Emma

On 13 Feb 2004 06:56:14 GMT, Emma Chase VanCott
<[email protected]> wrote:

>: I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor
>
>I don't take Lipitor. I don't have high lipids. I read this NG out of interest in Critical Care and
>Cardiac Care Nursing.

>: also seems to relate to pain in lower back.
>
>Are you getting regular bloodwork while on Lipitor? Mention this "back pain" thing to your doc,
>okay? It could be important info for them to know.
>

>: But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
>

>Yeesh.
>
>This term, I saw a pt. on the floor (general medicine) a few days ago who had Lipitor-induced
>rhabdo. (muscle breakdown). That sort of stuff scares the heck out of me.

Was it documented as such? That *is* a known side-effect. I could not take Lipitor because of the
onset of muscular pain.

>My future MIL has high liver enzyme tests now, due to taking the Statin (now discontinued in the
>USA) that caused liver damage and initiated many lawsuits.
>

>I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
>lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.

Yes, there are alternatives,which is a very good thing. Although the fact that many of them are
unregulated, one can't be sure of the quality you're getting.

>In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification. Although meds do serve a
>purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing solutions are in a pill.

Not everyone is capable of or has the will to effect a meaningful (health-wise) lifestyle change.
For some, it can be an extremely difficult thing to do. I tend to see the availability of many of
these meds as the glass being half full.

>We have to love ourselves and take care of our bodies better. This rotation drives that home,
>for sure.

Well said.

Emma Chase VanCott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> : I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor
>
> I don't take Lipitor. I don't have high lipids. I read this NG out of interest in Critical Care
> and Cardiac Care Nursing.
>

> : also seems to relate to pain in lower back.
>
> Are you getting regular bloodwork while on Lipitor? Mention this "back pain" thing to your doc,
> okay? It could be important info for them to know.

Would concur.

> : But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.
>

> Yeesh.
>
> This term, I saw a pt. on the floor (general medicine) a few days ago who had Lipitor-induced
> rhabdo. (muscle breakdown). That sort of stuff scares the heck out of me.

Understandably.

> My future MIL has high liver enzyme tests now, due to taking the Statin (now discontinued in the
> USA) that caused liver damage and initiated many lawsuits.

Uh-oh.

> I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
> lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.
>
> In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification.

Would concur.

Weight loss (if overweight) is especially important.

(Could talk about you know what here, but won't ;-)

> Although meds do serve a purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing
> solutions are in a pill.

Pills are a great temporary bridge to needed lifestyle changes.

> We have to love ourselves and take care of our bodies better. This rotation drives that home,
> for sure.

God has appointed us stewards of our bodies.

> Emma

Thank you for your comments, Emma.

Andrew

--

Zee wrote:

> > I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate
> > to pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol
> > level.
> >
> > David

My suggestion stands:

You should get a second opinion.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist
http://www.heartmdphd.com/

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2CA21267

It seems to me I heard somewhere that David wrote in article
<[email protected]>:

>I have the same symptoms as Emma, and attribute it to the use of Lipitor - also seems to relate to
>pain in lower back. But am being strongly advised to persevere as I have a high cholestrol level.

What is your dosage, and how long have you been on it? Muscular pain is a known *potential* side
effect of Lipitor. I have been on Lipitor for over five years, currently at 80mg daily, run ten to
twelve miles a week (would be more, but arthritis is catching up with me), and between Lipitor,
niacin, and atenolol I'm maintaining my lipids balance. My back pain is arthritic.

However, these are my personal results; if you trust your doctor follow his advice but give him your
input, and if you don't, get a second opinion.
--
Don [email protected]

It seems to me I heard somewhere that Emma Chase VanCott wrote in
article <[email protected]>:

[...]

>I am not sure of the research, but I understand that some folks (with *mild* dyslipidemias) have
>lipid profile improvement with flax seed oil and other nutritional remedies.

>In my eyes, the only really safe treatment is lifestyle modification. Although meds do serve a
>purpose in those with irreversible disease, we have to stop believing solutions are in a pill.

That safe treatment is not available to those of us who are at high risk because we have genetic
family patterns of high cholesterol/low HDL. For us it's important to find the safest medication
that provides optimum results. I had been a runner for 20 years, with 27 marathons, when I had my
heart attack. Weight was never a problem; at my peak I was 20 pounds above what I weighed in
military service, and I'm below that nowadays.
--
Don [email protected]